House Price Crash Forum
Si1

KPMG and telegraph predict house prices will go up forever

17 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Ah 2012 - 5 years into the future where everything i nthe UK will be sorted - UKGOV running a surplus, that 50% nonworking of London population will be gainfully employed. Democracy in the Middle East, Palestinian problem solved,  etc etc.

Well that report is obviously bonkers. House prices will go up whilst there is the political will to see that. When that evaporates see tax on foreign owned homes lending restrictions and building more homes then prices will fall.

If someone predicted in 2012 that by 2017 we would be leaving the EU, Trump would be president, and Cameron and Osborne consigned to political history, then they would likely have been laughed out of the room.

I think 5 year predictions usually tell you more about the person making the prediction than they will about the future.

Sounds very much like "No return to boom and bust" claim by Gordon Brown or AAA Rating that Lehman's had just months before it Collapsed.

Media is for Sale and is Biased. Statistics have always been created out of thin Air to prove a biased position. 

But the truth is that mortgage payments based on current prices will take 50%-70% salary for the majority taking a mortgage now onward.

Now unless they start guaranteeing Jobs for Life and Freeze Interest Rates at Current Levels for Life, a Major correction is on its way. If not now then some time in few years.

It all depends on the appetite of British Government of how much "Bang" they can take !!

Most of us may not like this but the BLUNT REALITY is at least in Southeast prices are going up.

Prices didn't even dropped to 2012 levels let alone a crash to 2006-07 levels.

Don't know by 2022, 2017 prices might look like 2012 for us.

Even if prices continue to limp ahead by 2% per year, it makes things very difficult for first time buyers who are struggling with 2017 prices.

No matter what Telegraph says but in reality we're not seeing what we're hoping for.

Don't know if Jezza can crash the prices by pushing back the intense pressure he might get from vested interests in case he becomes PM.

He is last hope.

2 minutes ago, Simhadri said:

Most of us may not like this but the BLUNT REALITY is at least in Southeast prices are going up.

Says someone who's just bought a house and bangs on about not wanting to subsidise his landlord.

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

Is she sixteen..?

Well, if she is, she's bound to be right.  As any parent of one probably knows, sixteen year olds know everything, and frequently get exasperated having to explain to their stupid parents how wrong they are about everything.  

Dear Simhadri,

I was looking for an apartment around where I rent currently and stumbled upon this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42148756.html 

It is listed for sale at Guide Price £269,995

Now please look at Market Info Tab, The same apartment was sold in 27 Oct 2007  for  £292,000  !!

Assuming it will sell for around 260K, this property has LOST 10% value and has had NO Appreciation in last 10 Years.

THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF THESE IN AND AROUND LONDON.

RickyM.

12 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Says someone who's just bought a house and bangs on about not wanting to subsidise his landlord.

Don't know waiting till 2022 will do any good in southeast.

May be in North prices are still reasonable.

London + Southeast almost 18 million population concentrated.

Its a choice of subsidize your BTL landlord or have your own place but we're not timeless and can't wait indefinitely.

1 minute ago, Simhadri said:

Its a choice of subsidize your BTL landlord or have your own place but we're not timeless and can't wait indefinitely.

No it isn't but please yourself if you insist on marginal competence in quite basic maths.

8 minutes ago, RickyM said:

Assuming it will sell for around 260K, this property has LOST 10% value and has had NO Appreciation in last 10 Years.

Good to know it dropped in value but also the service charges would have increased in last 10 years.

With leasehold it has its own share of problems.

21 minutes ago, RickyM said:

25 minutes ago, Simhadri said:

Don't know waiting till 2022 will do any good in southeast.

May be in North prices are still reasonable.

London + Southeast almost 18 million population concentrated.

Plus look at all the additional investment going on. Third runway, Crossrail 1 and 2. IMHO London is crackers prices but a lot of the SE is fairly decent and many HQs have located out into the home counties to offer an improved work/life balance. 

Anecdotally we felt the same as you. We could wait to hear if the broken clocks on this site would eventually be proved right but I like the idea of being a contrarian and buying at a time when many are not. Handed in our notice and bought a place. Our landlord was actually a really decent chap and had converted the old building into five flats so was a rare case of actually providing housing since his family built the house in the first instance before he extended and converted. Anyway, we left beginning of September and it's still being advertised for £20/month now less than we were paying. 

2 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Anecdotally we felt the same as you.

Good to know that and you made the move. We bought in June.

One thing I understood is its almost impossible to fight against vested interests in markets to get a decent deal in a capitalist society.

Either I spend years and years into my 40s shouting from fringes or protect myself from BTL vultures. I opted for the later.

6 minutes ago, adarmo said:

We could wait to hear if the broken clocks on this site would eventually be proved right

I wish but if I look at the practicality, the laws of financial gravity in this country are in reverse order. Wrong are proved right and right are being made to wait.

2 hours ago, london_thirtythree said:

If someone predicted in 2012 that by 2017 we would be leaving the EU, Trump would be president, and Cameron and Osborne consigned to political history, then they would likely have been laughed out of the room.

I think 5 year predictions usually tell you more about the person making the prediction than they will about the future.

Yeah, but despite all those upheavals, upsets and unpredicted results... what has actually changed between 2012  and 2017?

KPMG chief economist Yael Selfin.

Degree in economics from UCL, subsequently studied econometrics at LSE.

Head of PwC international economic research from 2005-12.

Clearly,  nothing there to suggest she knows her 4rse from her 3lbow.

1 hour ago, Simhadri said:

Good to know that and you made the move. We bought in June.

One thing I understood is its almost impossible to fight against vested interests in markets to get a decent deal in a capitalist society.

Either I spend years and years into my 40s shouting from fringes or protect myself from BTL vultures. I opted for the later.

I wish but if I look at the practicality, the laws of financial gravity in this country are in reverse order. Wrong are proved right and right are being made to wait.

gravity isn't a law, its an unproven theory. just sayin 

4 minutes ago, thewig said:

gravity isn't a law, its an unproven theory. just sayin 

¡ʇuıod poob ɐ s,ʇɐɥʇ

Edited by chronyx

1 hour ago, Simhadri said:

I wish but if I look at the practicality, the laws of financial gravity in this country are in reverse order. 

Do you ever read what you write?

3 hours ago, Simhadri said:

Prices didn't even dropped to 2012 levels let alone a crash to 2006-07 levels.

Don't know by 2022, 2017 prices might look like 2012 for us.

No analysis or inferences of raw data, just a casual opinion to justify your purchase.  What is written is anyways a readily available BS in  MSM, What is value addition here?

4 minutes ago, Gush said:

No analysis or inferences of raw data, just a casual opinion to justify your purchase.  What is written is anyways a readily available BS in  MSM, What is value addition here?

You can call it ******** if prices drop in Southeast by 2022. Please wait 5 more years to prove yourselves. Raw data ? I will leave it to you to find and analyze what happened in last 10 years.