Unmarried men are a problem to society says IDS

winkie

HOLA441
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
13 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

my new wife is wealthy and i would gain if i held out for marital law to be applied at divorce, but then i never would so she has nothing to fear, she made me sign a prenup - i respected that, but she really has nothing to fear.

I have fixed feelings on prenups, on one hand I think they are a very common sense thing to consider, and both people are likely to be in a much better frame of mind. Equally, it's pretty hard to plot out different paths and scenarios e.g. If you've not had kids when you marry, regardless of how good you think you are at understanding what the impact is, you can't really understand. A prenup could also suggest a lack of trust, each to there own, I would like much more time spent by the government on the subject of prenups, maybe they hold part of the solution.

I also wonder if there is a difference if a male proposes a prenup, or a female?

HOLA443
HOLA444

afaik, they don't count in the UK.

Where prenups are valid, a lot of people do them wrong. If the prenup is signed after the wedding date has been set, it can be considered coercion and the prenup is then void. 

IDS should be calling out women for initiating divorce because that's where the main problem is.

HOLA445
1 hour ago, sPinwheel said:

How well do prenups hold up anyway, in the UK. 

Not very well - but a court can consider them/take them into account.

Both sides will have to have had independent legal advice before signing (at the very least).

HOLA446

According to Coop Legal Services the top 10 reasons for divorce are:

Adultery
Drifted Apart
Money Problems
Abuse
Addiction
Different Parenting Ideas
Appearance
Unhappiness
Cultural Issues
Communication Issues

Although they don't give what the percentages for each. I did read somewhere online (sorry but I cant link to it) but Drifting apart and Communication Issues are most common.  I can understand adultery or abuse as grounds split but communications sounds like "im bored and this isn't as cracked up as I was led to believe, and everyone on facebook is happier than me"

HOLA447
HOLA448
17 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

If people could have a reasonable level of confidence that a possible settlement would treat both parties fairly with regard to division of assets, ongoing financial support etc. in the event of a divorce, there would be no need for prenups.

If that's the case.

What's the point of getting married? Apart from a few artificial tax breaks.

HOLA449
55 minutes ago, sPinwheel said:

If that's the case.

That's the essential paradox of marriage. A spouse is supposed to be the one person on the planet that you can trust beyond all others but you might also need them to sign a separate contract because you don't fully trust them.

HOLA4410
21 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

That's the essential paradox of marriage. A spouse is supposed to be the one person on the planet that you can trust beyond all others but you might also need them to sign a separate contract because you don't fully trust them.

So true it is paradoxical.;)

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

If that's the case.

From a practical point of view, none whatsoever, which is what it should be. Should just be something two people do if they want to for whatever reason matters to them, nothing more.

HOLA4412
4 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

If people could have a reasonable level of confidence that a possible settlement would treat both parties fairly with regard to division of assets, ongoing financial support etc. in the event of a divorce, there would be no need for prenups.

That's true.  

I think in practice the main attraction of marriage is the wedding which ultimately is a giant selfie.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Archived