House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Sep '17 Predictions

Samuel Tombs, chief UK economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics, is not convinced by the Halifax report:

The sudden surge in Halifax’s measure of house prices—up 3% over the last three months alone—is impossible to reconcile with all the other housing market evidence.

Halifax’s measure is the most volatile of all the indices we track. Other surveys show that the pipeline of demand is soft; RICS has reported that new buyer enquiries have fallen in six of the last seven months. Real wages still have further to fall over the next six months and mortgage rates will rise soon in response to the increase in banks’ funding costs.

As such, we expect most of the pickup in Halifax’s index to unwind over the coming months.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When people are protesting in the streets.

Why would they do that? You're clearly one mightily brassed off individual regarding the state of the UK property "market", yet how much protesting in the street have you ever done?

Bashing endlessly on a plastic keyboard may have some cathartic value, but it's not going to change anything.

27 minutes ago, Broken biscuit said:

That's the spirit. I presume you're referring to the Rightmove index which is highly respected around here.;)

Obviously not Sale prices, but still a reasonable indicator of broad trend.

1Mtz5qM.png

(Average YoY is mean of Nationwide, Halifax, ONS, LSL/Acad. Dashed lines just my own markers for FLS & H2B)

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I see Mr Banks is in my blocked list.  I wonder why :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

But he does retweet me (and vice versa) and converse/agree on twitter. Me thinks he is a bit sensitive/takes things out of context. As I said i am very cross about high house prices they are divisive and unfair but unfortunately I have been right about their continued upwards trends.

1 hour ago, Greg Bowman said:

It's a good time to bag a bargain on a newish diesel if you are running to end of life and aren't worried about resale and if post 2009 still won't be affected by the T charge in London 

??

Sorry what concern is reselling your only house. House prices will go up and down with the value of that house. If they go down the next house price will go down. The only time i will need to sell and not buy another (i.e. be affected by a massive fall/ difficulty selling) is when i die (i don't care then) or need to go into a care home. I can easillly see this is a very bad time for buying a second home and BTL but single home ownership. maybe not.

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Give it up, move to France.  The establishment are riding us harder than grand national winner.

Too many snob posher Brits live there. Even in the middle of nowhere. Prefer Bulgaria. Still haven't come across an English snob.

52 minutes ago, J1mb0 said:

Too many snob posher Brits live there. Even in the middle of nowhere. Prefer Bulgaria. Still haven't come across an English snob.

Yeah my mate dad move moved to France, right posh nob! cant speak the language just made friends with the brits abroad! I cant see the need to move country just move to a cheaper part of the UK. Maybe people here earn a lot more than me so being located in the south east is essential ??

one of the comments on the BBC HYS is along the lines of 2% at Nationwide and 4% at Halifax and inflation at 3% = stagnant house prices..and they should correct their headline.

Stagnant...and after them throwing the kitchen sink at it...

3 hours ago, Mr Banks said:

Sorry what concern is reselling your only house. House prices will go up and down with the value of that house. If they go down the next house price will go down. The only time i will need to sell and not buy another (i.e. be affected by a massive fall/ difficulty selling) is when i die (i don't care then) or need to go into a care home. I can easillly see this is a very bad time for buying a second home and BTL but single home ownership. maybe not.

I am seriously confused - I am talking about cars....much more fun

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

one of the comments on the BBC HYS is along the lines of 2% at Nationwide and 4% at Halifax and inflation at 3% = stagnant house prices..and they should correct their headline.

Stagnant...and after them throwing the kitchen sink at it...

Wage inflation 0.

Stagnant my ****.

5 hours ago, Mr Banks said:

Hmm not true. Some areas go up for than other so if you moved out of say London to move up north for 10 years and want to move back for family you would find it very hard