House Price Crash Forum

New car sales down 9%

HOLA441
HOLA442

Can only speak for myself but my 12 year old car is just fine and I'm hoping it'll last long enough so that i can afford to replace it with an electric one. 

Analytically it might be that so many put off upgrading or replacing during the GFC that the last few years have been above the natural run rate. 

HOLA443
7 minutes ago, adarmo said:

Can only speak for myself but my 12 year old car is just fine and I'm hoping it'll last long enough so that i can afford to replace it with an electric one. 

Analytically it might be that so many put off upgrading or replacing during the GFC that the last few years have been above the natural run rate. 

I think you are onto something - new technologies around the corner but not quite viable or right price but it feels they soon will be

For instance just got myself an Audi TTS nearly 9 years old , private plate gave the body a mop and polish refurbed wheels and looks like the current car which had a minor uplift on the body

the radio doesn't have dab but could fix that if I was inclined for £500

running gear performance etc the same so for about 25% of New I have a car just as nice looking and just as reliable 

You can apply those principles at whatever level you indulge in cars from banger to supercar

old style technology probably broadly at peak now so the manufacturers need to get newer technology out there 

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA444

Value of unsold car stock on dealer forecourts rises 16% to £27bn

Car dealers are sitting on 16% more unsold stock than they were just a year ago, as carmakers push new vehicles on to their books. That’s the view of accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young which estimates that the value of inventory held by UK car dealerships has now reached a record £27.3bn, up from £23.6bn last year. This equals 17.7% of the turnover of the sector, up from 16.9% last year.

Paul Daly, partner at UHY Hacker Young, said: “Car makers continue to push more and more vehicles on to dealers’ books, but that can’t go on indefinitely. It’s unsustainable for unsold stock to keep rising so quickly. motortrader

Something does not add up.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Remember the runways full of cars in 2009? We'll have the same again soon. It will be mostly diesels. you'd have to be mad to buy one new now. 

I agree with you on the likelihood of seeing lots of unsold cars but I think the Diesel Panic is being overdone.  I would have thought this is an excellent time to buy a Diesel car.

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, dougless said:

I agree with you on the likelihood of seeing lots of unsold cars but I think the Diesel Panic is being overdone.  I would have thought this is an excellent time to buy a Diesel car.

Agree if you live outside city areas and drive lots of miles.;)

HOLA449

All car makers have to do now is come out with a combined advertising campaign about white cars being unfashionable

‘’do you drive a white car? - you are of lower social economic background’’

The people to choose white are generally chavy tasteless debt junkies. Chinsy horrible things.

as soon as you come out with

’Brown the colour of class’ 

millions of new cars will be sold. it’s just fashion. 

i don’t think the automakers have worked out that they can dictate the fashion themselves. would only take a few automakers to band together and agree on a certain date they will all push certain colours. it’s not even illegal. 

the original popularity of silver was due to dirt not showing up, which said a lot about the car buying public being fairly not bothered and practical at the time.

white is just fashion and consumerism. 

you could fix the whole auto industry with the colour

brown 

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Down for sixth month in a row ... what's up? No more PPI money to spend? People realising PCP is a big con?

Have you seen the latest road tax tariffs? Ouch. Surely won't be helping with the bigger motors.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
5 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

All car makers have to do now is come out with a combined advertising campaign about white cars being unfashionable

The people to choose white are generally chavy tasteless debt junkies. Chinsy horrible things.

i don’t think the automakers have worked out that they can dictate the fashion themselves. would only take a few automakers to band together and agree on a certain date they will all push certain colours. it’s not even illegal. 

the original popularity of silver was due to dirt not showing up, which said a lot about the car buying public being fairly not bothered and practical at the time.

brown 

Mmmm... Dogshit Brown.

1280px-Austin_Allegro_Brown_2.JPG

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I used brown as it’s the colour of poo, the chavy buyers would buy any tasteless thing if they thought it was fashionable 

no actual eye for taste. 

brown well he is also poo

Few green cars around..... unlucky for some.;)

HOLA4416

The figures from car industry body SMMT are now out and they make for pretty grim reading. Sales of new cars fell by 9.3% in September - a crucial month for the industry - to 426,170 vehicles.

It's the first fall in September for six years, and included a heavy 22% decline in sales of diesel cars.

BBC

Diesel cars sale down 22%.  That's a lot.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

For lots of people the taxes and costs of running a car just make it pointless as well - Car tax, road tax, petrol, insurance, MOT, breakdown cover etc etc etc.

Anyway, do they really expect people to just keep on buying more and more cheap cars? Endlessly? When the price of even a Ford Fiesta is now ludicrous.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

i don’t think the automakers have worked out that they can dictate the fashion themselves. would only take a few automakers to band together and agree on a certain date they will 

brown 

We had a pool car once which not only was a Marina but was a brown Marina. Nobody wanted to drive it. ? A horrible thing that shows why the UK car industry turned out as it did, i.e it didn't. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

brown 

We need white dog poo to make a comeback.

HOLA4425