House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

4000 jobs in the balance at tobacco firm P&H

Sky News has learnt that talks about a takeover of Palmer & Harvey (P&H), which supplies every Tesco outlet in the UK, remained in the balance amid an increasingly urgent need for new investment.

http://news.sky.com/story/4000-jobs-in-balance-amid-rescue-talks-for-giant-tesco-supplier-11056724

This is a real litmus test for the economy.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Something is definitely changing out there. Where there's smoke there's fire. 

10 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Vile peddlers of death, should all be lined up and shot.

Not the funiest of puns but I agree the sentiment.

At this point I do like to ask the question, if you stop everyone dying from heart attacks, cancer, smoking related illness, diabetes etc etc etc what will you be happy for them to die of ?

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

At this point I do like to ask the question, if you stop everyone dying from heart attacks, cancer, smoking related illness, diabetes etc etc etc what will you be happy for them to die of ?

Boredom.

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Being shot.

(Clearly)

Palmer and Harvey arent a cigarette company they are just a wholesaler. They have a specific deal to supply cigarettes to tesco but supply all sort of things to all sorts of high street shops.

'However, any new owner is thought to want a commitment from Tesco to extend its distribution agreement with Palmer & Harvey. Palmer & Harvey already agreed a three-year contract in April with Tesco, however the future of that relationship is being scrutinised by the Competition and Markets Authority which is investigating the supermarket’s takeover of rival Booker.

Tesco currently accounts for 40pc of P&H’s revenues, but the CMA has come under fresh pressure to analyse the disruption to the wider market if Tesco switched its wholesale agreement to Booker, damaging Palmer & Harvey’s business.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/16/tesco-play-key-role-palmer-harvey-rescue/

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Exhaustion from running around the hamster wheel.

9 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

t this point I do like to ask the question, if you stop everyone dying from heart attacks, cancer, smoking related illness, diabetes etc etc etc what will you be happy for them to die of ?

Troll fatigue.

Years ago just after I graduated (and didn't have a clue what I wanted to do), I applied for a generic grad scheme job with P&H. Didn't get it and thanked my lucky stars ever since - I was that desperate for cash at the time I'd have probably taken it despite them making my skin crawl. Interview consisted of making paper aeroplanes, a ridiculous roleplay excerise and various other nonsensical activities. Naturally, the biggest extrovert got the job. Does make you wonder what these businesses are like to work for. Having said that, most companies recruit grads in the same way now.

11 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Years ago just after I graduated (and didn't have a clue what I wanted to do), I applied for a generic grad scheme job with P&H. Didn't get it and thanked my lucky stars ever since - I was that desperate for cash at the time I'd have probably taken it despite them making my skin crawl. Interview consisted of making paper aeroplanes, a ridiculous roleplay excerise and various other nonsensical activities. Naturally, the biggest extrovert got the job. Does make you wonder what these businesses are like to work for. Having said that, most companies recruit grads in the same way now.

P+H are just a bland wholesaler. It only sells lots of fags because its customers e.g. small newsagent.

I dont know anything about P+H other than its coop/employer owned. To me, this means its probably badly managed and bloated - itll be a dumb org stuffed full of idiot middle mangers who cannot be sacked.

16 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Building a bridge out of Lego is always a good option to show 'team work', my experience of grad training scheme interviews was that it was always the one making the most noise that got the job.  Although having said that I myself was eventually hired for such a position!

I hope you're sitting down for this one...

Furniture maker Multiyork enters administration, putting 500 jobs at risk

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/22/jobs-risk-furniture-maker-multiyork-administration

After all this excitement you might need to lie down:

https://news.sky.com/story/feather-black-follows-multiyork-into-administration-11147073

5 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

........After all this excitement you might need to lie down:

https://news.sky.com/story/feather-black-follows-multiyork-into-administration-11147073

"He explained that, like at Multiyork, F&B had found trading "tough" given the Brexit-linked squeeze on household budgets".

That's not an explanation......

Machin-Fig-1.jpg.5116fdcbc80b2e27ce269a4850db058c.jpg

FYI, Brexit vote June 2016.

28 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

I hope you're sitting down for this one...

Furniture maker Multiyork enters administration, putting 500 jobs at risk

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/22/jobs-risk-furniture-maker-multiyork-administration

After all this excitement you might need to lie down:

The recovery is just bedding in.

18 minutes ago, Fence said:

"He explained that, like at Multiyork, F&B had found trading "tough" given the Brexit-linked squeeze on household budgets".

That's not an explanation......

Machin-Fig-1.jpg.5116fdcbc80b2e27ce269a4850db058c.jpg

FYI, Brexit vote June 2016.

It's not a brExit squeeze, it's an insane debt bubble banker squeeze that the establishment and bankers have blown !!!