House Price Crash Forum

Saving the pennies...

Mrs Bear

HOLA441

While we were doing several days of grandchild care recently, Mr B occupied himself by collecting up several jars of coins lying around daughter and son in law's house.  After counting and bagging it all up, he took it to the nearest bank and came back with £65.  And that was without the euros. 

However another grandparent who was helping out, said her husband had been saving silver out of his trouser pockets into an outsize whisky bottle for some time, and when they'd eventually counted it up, it came to £1400!  

Can anyone beat that, in the coins-in-jars stakes?  

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
10 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

A tip. Don't ever use the Coinstar machines which take a cut to change up money. Use the change to pay for shipping on the automatic checkouts in supermarkets.

Thanks - good tip. My boy collects all our coppers for his money bank plus what we find on our walks.

HOLA449

Has anyone else got random foreign  coins/notes lying about?  We've got mountains of coins, some dating back to God knows when, Austrian schillings among the less obscure.  As Mr B has just found out courtesy of Google, a co. called fourex has machines that will recognise notes and coins in 150  currencies , and will take certain old pre Euro coins and notes, too. Rates for notes and coins are different, unsurprisingly enough. 

Our nearest machine is at Oxford Circus underground, and it'll probably have to go in stages, there's such a lot and together it will weigh a ton. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention in case anyone else has a lot of coins cluttering up cupboards. 

HOLA4410
On 9/25/2017 at 7:54 AM, Longtermrenter said:

A tip. Don't ever use the Coinstar machines which take a cut to change up money. Use the change to pay for shipping on the automatic checkouts in supermarkets.

What a penny at a time?? Waiting 4 secs between coins for the machine to register? You'll be popular! I use Coinstar for coppers and small silver. You'd be daft to put 50p/£1 or over into it though.

HOLA4411

Got a hoarder relative, owns 3 houses filled floor to ceiling with crap, we attempted to clear one of them for him (much to his objection, but the Local Authority were threatening to take action against him because it was in such a state)

Anyway we found over £900 in cash and over £5k in uncashed/unbanked cheques from dividends, matured policies etc.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Better still multiply your pennies stash value by 30, simply by drilling their centres out:

AVF M12 Galvanised Steel Flat Washer, Pack of 10, £3.08

If you want to go further, melt down the drill swarf and stamp yourself maybe another ~25% more!

B) <- I dunno what this means but it kinda felt appropriate

HOLA4414
11 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Better still multiply your pennies stash value by 30, simply by drilling their centres out:

AVF M12 Galvanised Steel Flat Washer, Pack of 10, £3.08

If you want to go further, melt down the drill swarf and stamp yourself maybe another ~25% more!

B) <- I dunno what this means but it kinda felt appropriate

I forsee a time where washers might be traded with more value yes!

HOLA4415
18 hours ago, nome said:

Got a hoarder relative, owns 3 houses filled floor to ceiling with crap, we attempted to clear one of them for him (much to his objection, but the Local Authority were threatening to take action against him because it was in such a state)

Anyway we found over £900 in cash and over £5k in uncashed/unbanked cheques from dividends, matured policies etc.

Colleague of mine was executor for an old uncle who had early dementia.  While clearing his flat she found over £2000 stashed away - nearly all of it in between or inside the piles of magazines and newspapers lying around.  

Point of story being, if clearing for anyone with dementia, or just really doddery, check absolutely everything that could possibly serve as a container before chucking away.  Cornflakes packets, old shoes, inside books, you name it.  They hide things everywhere.  

HOLA4416
8 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

I forsee a time where washers might be traded with more value yes!

Was laying my patio a while back with pavers of uneven thickness. Producing a flat surface using usual weak dry mix of bedding sand and cement was proving tricky. I even broke a couple of slabs whacking them so hard to budge the bedding sand.

I wondered whether I might place each slab on spacers and flood the space below with an injected wet mix.

Because I needed so many spacers, I started wondering what I could use. I wanted something thin and cheap I searched for some time, considering strip material which I could cut, and pre-stamped shims made from all sorts of materials.

In the end I concluded pennies were by far the cheapest solution. About 100 quid's worth would have covered it.

Weird. But that's central banks for you.

HOLA4417
6 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Colleague of mine was executor for an old uncle who had early dementia.  While clearing his flat she found over £2000 stashed away - nearly all of it in between or inside the piles of magazines and newspapers lying around.  

Point of story being, if clearing for anyone with dementia, or just really doddery, check absolutely everything that could possibly serve as a container before chucking away.  Cornflakes packets, old shoes, inside books, you name it.  They hide things everywhere.  

When my dad went into nursing home I cleared out all the perishable food from his kitchen cupboards, it was only after I'd done it he informed me there was £200 ''emergency'' cash in the porridge box and for me to have it for all I'd done for him for the previous couple of weeks... didn't have the heart to tell him I'd binned it!

HOLA4418
17 hours ago, nome said:

When my dad went into nursing home I cleared out all the perishable food from his kitchen cupboards, it was only after I'd done it he informed me there was £200 ''emergency'' cash in the porridge box and for me to have it for all I'd done for him for the previous couple of weeks... didn't have the heart to tell him I'd binned it!

What a bummer!  At least you'll be able to advise anyone else in a similar situation.  

An aunt of mine with dementia complained to visiting relatives that a valuable diamond ring had been stolen (she was in a care home).  They went mad searching her room, being aware that people with dementia hide things in all sorts of places and then forget and think someone's nicked them. 

It was only as an afterthought that they checked the bin, and there it was, wrapped up in something exceedingly manky.  I've since heard of similar cases with dementia - you have to check everything before it goes in the bin. 

HOLA4419

Archived