House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Thorn

Why has no effective Tenants Union been organized?

Been wondering this for a long time, then I found this article when I went looking-

https://civilsocietyfutures.org/now-time-join-tenants-union/

With the Rentier class having been enjoying their power and scattering tenants and their families as they wish and looking after themselves, what has happened to Tenants voices? Why is there no pushback? What am I missing? 

Interesting question. Have to think about it but my reflex answer is "for the same reason as no effective landlords union." The property 118 don't really do anything except feeble attempts at Tenant Tax campaigns and so on. 

An effective union must have the power to do stuff. A labour union has the power to withdraw the labour that the employer needs. Neither landlords nor tenants have an equivalent power to deny the other, not realistically anyway. 

True about 118 not really getting it together for landlords. 

But even power aside there seems to be nothing out there offering even coherent support or advice for tenants.

The government certainly does not care about tenants and their lives.

And I think it doesn't feel normal to pretend like there's No Such Thing as Society, like we are all just individuals making choices, with Landlords able to cruise through life essentially feeling smug and untarnished by society as they screw with tenants lives. 

It very much feels more like an Us against Them. I know who the Them Team are, I just don't understand where my team is.

Are most tenants lives so unstable that organization can't even begin? 

31 minutes ago, Thorn said:

And I think it doesn't feel normal to pretend like there's No Such Thing as Society, like we are all just individuals making choices, with Landlords able to cruise through life essentially feeling smug and untarnished by society as they screw with tenants lives. 

(Emphasis added.)

Pet peeve. People capitalising landlords.

Busta does it; don't be like Busta.

21 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

(Emphasis added.)

Pet peeve. People capitalising landlords.

Busta does it; don't be like Busta.

Understood. Had spotted first one. I actually viciously de- capitalized it when it Capitalised itself in the first bit. Missed that other one!

13 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Understood. Had spotted first one. I actually viciously de- capitalized it when it Capitalised itself in the first bit. Missed that other one!

What's the software that auto-correcting to "Landlords"? Reckon a tenants' union could boycott them; sends the right message.

1 hour ago, Thorn said:

True about 118 not really getting it together for landlords. 

But even power aside there seems to be nothing out there offering even coherent support or advice for tenants.

Generation Rent lobbies politicians on behalf of renters and offers advice via its website. 

Online magazine The Debrief got the government to deliver the letting fees ban as a result of its Make Renting Fair campaign. 

UCL Cut The Rent succeeded in getting University College London to back down on student rent hikes. 

Edited by Patient London FTB

1 hour ago, Thorn said:

The government certainly does not care about tenants and their lives.

I don't buy that for a moment. You only need to read the landlord fora for a while to get a sense of how they feel that the law always takes the tenants' side. The AST is pretty rubbish for tenants but it's not completely worthless. Changes to deposit protection and the looming threat of a ban of letting agent fees show clearly that politicians are recognising the extent to which renters are up for grabs and can swing marginal constituencies if motivate to pick on party over the others.

Probably because most renters do ultimately become owners or move into social

Also a lot of renters are migrants and young people

I was also surprised to learn a large number of renters are ex owners. Perhaps mostly divorcées