House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

Slough named as the 'best place' to work and live

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-41351549

Slough has come out on top of a survey of the 25 best towns and cities to live and work in, beating Manchester and Cambridge in the top three. 

It is hailed as a "prime spot" for jobs, cost of living and worker satisfaction in research by jobs site Glassdoor.

Head offices for brands including Mars and O2 are based there.

This came as a big surprise to me.

I did a 'tour' of Slough as part of a job interview. From Slough station to Burnham, even took a bus down the Bath road a bit to stop for a 'chat' at one of the big buildings. Glad to say I wasn't offered the job, maybe my over- joy of being there showed....

Working and living there must be one of the quickest routes to clinical depression...although IT IS hailed as 'The heart of Londons industry' or something to that effect.....says on the station platform, cant remember....its just a big dirty trading estate with some corporate names, probably paying well above average just to get them to live there.

On the plus side the surrounding countryside, and places like Windsor/ Henley are great for cycling/ outdoors stuff and would have been the balance for over-looking Heathrow airport everyday, expecting an emergency landing on the Bath road. :wacko:

I used to work in Slough and lived in Maidenhead, it wasn't not the worst place in the world but it wasn't best in anything good! I never felt unsafe but female friends had some scary moments, that's over 10 years ago though and a lot has changed. I did look at buying there this year as it was cheap compared to London but I just couldn't do it. There may be a load of new flats but it still felt the same, possibly just my old memories, I don't know.

2 hours ago, JustAnotherProle said:

Presumably written by some BBC luvie who has never even been to Slough, because it's a hole.

or some #vileBBC scumbag who is sh*tting bricks cos their sh*tty little BTLs in slough won't sell for what they're worth

i used to go to slough 15 years ago as a friend worked in unisys back in the day, the only good thing to come out of it was the trade sales car importer bringing in cheap cars from europe with the low euro rate  bmw 320ci 26k uk price their price 15k some bargains to be had.  other than that it is a dump 

13 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Slough (pronounced "Sluff") is not that bad. It's never top of top 25 though ffs.

Really I thought that was a line from the Will Hay film the Goose Steps Out in the German spy training scene. Where would you go in England?...Peter Ustinov replies Sluff, before being corrected to Slough by the pseudo Commandant Will Hay.

Obviously Slough was number one back then too, it's always being number one.

However, Glassdoor's research shows Slough offered a good quality of life for employees, with a median salary of £35,000 per annum, the average house costing £390,000 and 26,000 vacancies being advertised.

haha the best place in the UK has a earning to hp ratio of over 11.

and the place is a hole.

20 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

However, Glassdoor's research shows Slough offered a good quality of life for employees, with a median salary of £35,000 per annum, the average house costing £390,000 and 26,000 vacancies being advertised.

haha the best place in the UK has a earning to hp ratio of over 11.

and the place is a hole.

Yep many places in the north with house price ratios about a third of that. I guess if most Slough employees own a house they may be feeling a bit smug about their half a million pound shoebox that has risen where other parts of the country have struggled. They probably feel Slough is special, they are ''rich'' and yep on the survey Slough must be worth a ten out  of ten.

Edited by crashmonitor

11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Lots of mentions of economic factors, but having them add up nicely and still living in a miserable, depressing souless dump is still a sh1te quality of life.

This

39 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep many places in the north with house price ratios about a third of that. I guess if most Slough employees own a house they may be feeling a bit smug about their half a million pound shoebox that has risen where other parts of the country have struggled. They probably feel Slough is special, they are ''rich'' and yep on the survey Slough must be worth a ten out  of ten.

Funny how 'we (the media) #vileBBC' judge quality of life by the £ in your pocket and the local HPI and the density of HMO's per square mile.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! 
It isn't fit for humans now, 
There isn't grass to graze a cow. 
Swarm over, Death! 

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens 
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens, 
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans, 
Tinned minds, tinned breath. 

Mess up the mess they call a town- 
A house for ninety-seven down 
And once a week a half a crown 
For twenty years. 

And get that man with double chin 
Who'll always cheat and always win, 
Who washes his repulsive skin 
In women's tears: 

And smash his desk of polished oak 
And smash his hands so used to stroke 
And stop his boring dirty joke 
And make him yell. 

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad; 
It's not their fault that they are mad, 
They've tasted Hell. 

It's not their fault they do not know 
The birdsong from the radio, 
It's not their fault they often go 
To Maidenhead 

And talk of sport and makes of cars 
In various bogus-Tudor bars 
And daren't look up and see the stars 
But belch instead. 

In labour-saving homes, with care 
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair 
And dry it in synthetic air 
And paint their nails. 

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough 
To get it ready for the plough. 
The cabbages are coming now; 
The earth exhales.

by John Betjeman

4 hours ago, fandanman said:

I used to live there and it's rough as fook, Britwell always on police camera action. Lots of work and big companies there,  think they like to be along the M4 corridor.

My bad then, Slough doesn't rhyme with Sluff it rhymes with Rough

Slough has low unemployment and is 20 mins from Central London. It's on the doorstep of upper class Buckinghamshire and  near Windsor too. There is a decent Wetherspoons.

What's not to like? Seriously, what is not to like?