House Price Crash Forum

CARNEY

Drac

HOLA441
25 minutes ago, kzb said:

If you were already shopping around, and you still are, you have not seen much inflation, that is my point.   Certainly not 15-20% or whatever the pound went down by.

If you stick to one supermarket for your whole shop, then you will have seen inflation.

And the poor, are they meant to get taxi's to 5 super markets ?

Petrol up 10%, do you drive 50 miles to get it cheaper ?

And lets not talk about the insanity of the house prices and the BTLer loons trying to force up rents to cover new insane mortgage borrowing

They can always freeze to death in the winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40787555

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
15 minutes ago, lombardo said:

I don't believe in a debt based economy. I am against interest rates completely. If banks could not charge interest, then they wouldn't have reckless lending. I think equity should replace interest.

......in a perfect ideal world sure.....but not when much debt is never repaid, it is borrowed, used and defaulted on.....those that play the game according to the rules end up paying the price.;)

HOLA443
44 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

And the poor, are they meant to get taxi's to 5 super markets ?

Petrol up 10%, do you drive 50 miles to get it cheaper ?

And lets not talk about the insanity of the house prices and the BTLer loons trying to force up rents to cover new insane mortgage borrowing

They can always freeze to death in the winter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40787555

Well, we were talking specifically about FOOD inflation.

The most effective shopping-around is between both supermarkets and the bargain shops like Home Bargains, B&M, Farmfoods, Iceland and you can often find good market stalls.  These shops have town-centre presence, precisely because they are targeted at non car-owning poor.

I must confess I do drive around myself, it would be hard graft without the car.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
2 hours ago, kzb said:

If you were already shopping around, and you still are, you have not seen much inflation, that is my point.   Certainly not 15-20% or whatever the pound went down by.

If you stick to one supermarket for your whole shop, then you will have seen inflation.

Surely that's complete nonsense - if person A shops in lidl all the time, and person B shops in waitrose they'll both have seen inflation as you say, but if B suddenly decided to switch to Lidl and their overall trolley cost drops doesn't mean the inflation from the previous Lidl prices A was enjoying isn't there.

I guess you might mean surfing around for special offers (not reductions) in each one at different times, but even then, you can hardly avoid it because all other things being equal, the offer prices still will have been affected.

I've not been affected much by inflation because I buy stuff that is reduced, but I've sure as sh!t noticed that regardless of where I go, the basics have rocketed in price.

HOLA447

I forgot to make my lunch this morning to take to work so as I was passing Waitrose I went in to get a microwave meal. The prices! Could not believe it. Even the reduced sticker ones were 3 quid. Best deal I could find was 3 for 6 pounds, which is about what I am used to paying. 

The point is that if I were a regular Waitrose shopper I would stop going. 

HOLA448
HOLA449

There's no way the supermarkets have jacked prices to reflect the drop in pound, too much competition. If anything, I'm seeing drops in recent weeks. Exporters, by reports, have raised prices and taken the cash rather than utilize any price-drop advantage, too keen to grab the lolly for a new director's car and exotic hol, or equivalent.

As for Carney and the surging pound, how could things be any worse in the EU negotiations than they presently are and there still seems to be plenty of appetite to push the pound to $1.40. Carney might have the last laugh.

HOLA4410
32 minutes ago, thehowler said:

There's no way the supermarkets have jacked prices to reflect the drop in pound, too much competition. If anything, I'm seeing drops in recent weeks. Exporters, by reports, have raised prices and taken the cash rather than utilize any price-drop advantage, too keen to grab the lolly for a new director's car and exotic hol, or equivalent.

As for Carney and the surging pound, how could things be any worse in the EU negotiations than they presently are and there still seems to be plenty of appetite to push the pound to $1.40. Carney might have the last laugh.

The only ones having the last laugh is the federal reserve. They just ended QE... 1 base rate hike this year + 3 more next year, will take the US Prime rate to approximately 6%

In turn the weakened pound, would have to raise interest rates to combat import prices globally.

Nothing directly to do with House prices parsè, but the knock on effect to assets will be a smack on the face. ?

HOLA4411
28 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

The only ones having the last laugh is the federal reserve. They just ended QE... 1 base rate hike this year + 3 more next year, will take the US Prime rate to approximately 6%

In turn the weakened pound, would have to raise interest rates to combat import prices globally.

Nothing directly to do with House prices parsè, but the knock on effect to assets will be a smack on the face. ?

Kick in the balls more like

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

Surely that's complete nonsense - if person A shops in lidl all the time, and person B shops in waitrose they'll both have seen inflation as you say, but if B suddenly decided to switch to Lidl and their overall trolley cost drops doesn't mean the inflation from the previous Lidl prices A was enjoying isn't there.

I guess you might mean surfing around for special offers (not reductions) in each one at different times, but even then, you can hardly avoid it because all other things being equal, the offer prices still will have been affected.

I've not been affected much by inflation because I buy stuff that is reduced, but I've sure as sh!t noticed that regardless of where I go, the basics have rocketed in price.

Obviously the official inflation figures are what they are.  I'm not arguing with that.

I am just saying, with clever shopping your personal rate of food inflation can be a lot lower.  This definitely involves surfing round for offers.  Most offer prices have not increased.

Your last sentence, up to the first comma, is basically backing up what I was saying anyhow.

HOLA4414
18 hours ago, longgone said:

if a bit of food shopping is a worry to someone , they are flucked already.  pennies in the big scheme of things. 

i would be more worried about carneys successor, the perfect opportunity for more qe under a new guise.   MSM seems to be making carney a scape goat i wonder why. 

Apparently though we have nurses (average income over £31k according to BBC) having to use food banks.  Also the big concern on here was about the poor.

HOLA4415
42 minutes ago, kzb said:

Apparently though we have nurses (average income over £31k according to BBC) having to use food banks.  Also the big concern on here was about the poor.

average income over £31k, so about 20K after tax.

That'll just about pay a mortgage now. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, kzb said:

i don`t believe it.   i see plenty of chubby nurses about :lol:.   you can live cheaply in every way  apart from housing 

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

average income over £31k, so about 20K after tax.

That'll just about pay a mortgage now. 

But if pound is low (and all EUers are leaving in disgust at waycism)) , they might have to rethink their recruitement methods.  Even so far as increasing salaries for nurses instead of managers.

HOLA4419
12 minutes ago, kzb said:

But if pound is low (and all EUers are leaving in disgust at waycism)) , they might have to rethink their recruitement methods.  Even so far as increasing salaries for nurses instead of managers.

And how are the actual tax payers, who on average get much less, going to pay for those rises?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

And how are the actual tax payers, who on average get much less, going to pay for those rises?

They'll have pay rises as well.  There will be more of them also, because we might stop exporting jobs.

We may even go as far as creating proper, paying jobs that can support a household as well as being net taxpayers.  We can dream

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Prior to privitisation not a good idea to start paying higher wages....like having a huge pension liability.....what private companies would want to take that on, they are in it to make profits for themselves and their investors not to pay high staff wages and pensions......am I wrong in this thinking?...private profits, public losses.;)