House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Conservatives scramble to reverse slump in support among young

2 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Free iPhones for some, miniature Union flags for everybody else.

Top reference.

Incidentally, the Tory HQ will continue to be perplexed why my gen hate their idol worship of neo-liberal free markets.

"But if we give them shiny things will they buy that we're shafting them?"

1 hour ago, Tapori said:

Top reference.

Incidentally, the Tory HQ will continue to be perplexed why my gen hate their idol worship of neo-liberal free markets.

"But if we give them shiny things will they buy that we're shafting them?"

Ah imagine free markets.

I cannot remember what one looks like with all this financial repression.

Lets face it they either have to go one way or the other.

Higher taxes and etc etc = HPC and Corbyn is authentic and already there.

Lower taxes, cuts, deregulation and free market = HPC Mogg going down that avenue (not that i am a supporter mind) with Boris soon to join there are actually quite a lot of younger people who like this hence the organised mogg hate.

So the hammonds of this world are in a bind and squashed on both sides as something has to change and i do not think they are the ones to do it.

The Tory party historically has been in this type of position before and been hammered at the polls, but then it adapts very well and adjusts and returns.

It's like every once in a while when it gets out of touch with the zeitgeist it just sort of goes away for a bit then comes back as the new champion. 

7 hours ago, Thorn said:

The Tory party historically has been in this type of position before and been hammered at the polls, but then it adapts very well and adjusts and returns.

It's like every once in a while when it gets out of touch with the zeitgeist it just sort of goes away for a bit then comes back as the new champion. 

When was the last time the Conservative party were in this type of position before and what did they change in order to bounce back?

2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

When was the last time the Conservative party were in this type of position before and what did they change in order to bounce back?

1997. And they bounced back by not being Gordon Brown.

But I'm not sure it matters. The Millenials are suicidal, so trying to appeal to them is like jumping off a cliff.

11 minutes ago, MarkG said:

1997. And they bounced back by not being Gordon Brown.

But I'm not sure it matters. The Millenials are suicidal, so trying to appeal to them is like jumping off a cliff.

My great aunt votes Tory, because she has always voted Tory! 

My family say I talk about politics too much.. I always say it's not that I talk about too much it's that everyone does not talk about it enough.. if they did they would know what's going on and we might actually have a half decent country.. 

Most of the West has way too much politics. The more politics can be removed from everyday life, the better, because the only thing politicians can do at this point is screw things up. No major political party has any idea how to deal with what's coming in the next twenty years.

But they're not going to give up power until economic collapse makes big government simply unaffordable.

I can't help thinking that, unpalatable though the Tories might be, Jezza would just turn on the money hose and bail out anybody who gets into difficulty financially through borrowing too much...

I think they need to make some very bold moves in the housing department; probably a large scale housebuilding programme. If they carry on as they have been, I agree that they are finished electorally. You only have to look at the comments sections on any house-related news story and they are now almost overwhelmingly in favour of process coming down; even amongst the oldies! Parents are now worried for their kids' prospects of settling down and raising a family.

50 minutes ago, oatbake said:

I can't help thinking that, unpalatable though the Tories might be, Jezza would just turn on the money hose and bail out anybody who gets into difficulty financially through borrowing too much...

I think they need to make some very bold moves in the housing department; probably a large scale housebuilding programme. If they carry on as they have been, I agree that they are finished electorally. You only have to look at the comments sections on any house-related news story and they are now almost overwhelmingly in favour of process coming down; even amongst the oldies! Parents are now worried for their kids' prospects of settling down and raising a family.

How many homes could have been built using the financially responsible Conservatives' DUP bribe billions though? For example. There are money houses on all sides.

1 hour ago, oatbake said:

I think a massive house building policy is certain soon.They need the young to own capital.If they dont they vote Labour.They also need to hold welfare down so the young workers arent paying for it.My sons class mates who are working (20 years old),not one of them earns what someone on DLA ESA and housing benefit gets.Most of the problems facing the young were caused by the left.The conservatives have done very little to tackle it though.Immigration and renting ensure left leaning governments.Hammond supports both,as do many "Tories".

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Tories are screwed for several elections imho. They did it to themselves.

Tories recognising they have screwed the young hard, and RM negative (though their numbers are crap) - what's to dislike.

12 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

I think a massive house building policy is certain soon.They need the young to own capital.If they dont they vote Labour.They also need to hold welfare down so the young workers arent paying for it.My sons class mates who are working (20 years old),not one of them earns what someone on DLA ESA and housing benefit gets.Most of the problems facing the young were caused by the left.The conservatives have done very little to tackle it though.Immigration and renting ensure left leaning governments.Hammond supports both,as do many "Tories".

Although I agree with much of what you say, I have to disagree with this statement.  Have  you forgotten about what accelerated the housing crisis in  this country?  The almost moronic idea of selling state housing off but not allowing the replacement of those houses, coupled with an astonishingly restrictive planning system are two of the major forces behind the UK's housing catastrophe.  The Tories are directly responsible for the first cause and have done very little to deal with the second.

Personally the largest single concept i can see that would appear fair to younger generations would be to end grandfathering as a concept.

Benefits, pensions, council homes, car tax - everything

If acouncil has 20000 cou cil homes then they should go to the 20000 neediest people at any given time. Notthe 20000 longest served tenants. My estate has seen many homes knocked down and new semis built with all the new disabled regs in place, ramps, down stairs and upstairs toilet...then they give the keys back to the people who lived on that plot before whose kids have largely left home and who have no requirement for these improvements. Madness.

I can also see a future where holders of final salary pensions take a haircut or two to fund benefits and social schemes. 

Just now, dougless said:

Although I agree with much of what you say, I have to disagree with this statement.  Have  you forgotten about what accelerated the housing crisis in  this country?  The almost moronic idea of selling state housing off but not allowing the replacement of those houses, coupled with an astonishingly restrictive planning system are two of the major forces behind the UK's housing catastrophe.  The Tories are directly responsible for the first cause and have done very little to deal with the second.

I dont agree selling state housing caused the problems dougless.In the north we had massive amounts of state housing sold.Houses prices are lower than 1993 in some places here.

I think the biggest cause of the problem is BTL driven by housing benefit and interest rates far too low alongside mass immigration.Remove housing benefit to BTL and prices will crash.

I dont know if this is the same in the south as i dont live there.Selling social housing there probably created more problems.

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

+10000

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Personally the largest single concept i can see that would appear fair to younger generations would be to end grandfathering as a concept.

Benefits, pensions, council homes, car tax - everything

If acouncil has 20000 cou cil homes then they should go to the 20000 neediest people at any given time. Notthe 20000 longest served tenants. My estate has seen many homes knocked down and new semis built with all the new disabled regs in place, ramps, down stairs and upstairs toilet...then they give the keys back to the people who lived on that plot before whose kids have largely left home and who have no requirement for these improvements. Madness.

I can also see a future where holders of final salary pensions take a haircut or two to fund benefits and social schemes. 

But who are the neediest?  Someone who works in Sainsburys 40+ hours to pay rent in a shared house or someone just off a plane with a young baby?

I would say the first - the second can get back on a plane but at the moment it is the reverse.

1 hour ago, durhamborn said:

I dont agree selling state housing caused the problems dougless.In the north we had massive amounts of state housing sold.Houses prices are lower than 1993 in some places here.

I think the biggest cause of the problem is BTL driven by housing benefit and interest rates far too low alongside mass immigration.Remove housing benefit to BTL and prices will crash.

I dont know if this is the same in the south as i dont live there.Selling social housing there probably created more problems.

I absolutely agree that government support for housing through low interest rates and housing benefit is a major problem but the lack of proper state housing in the South is a major factor in the problems down here ( I don't include Housing Associations which seem to be another seriously mismanaged area of housing).  The 'quick fix' was to put poor people in private rented accommodation and pay the rent and that really kicked the can down the road and gets us to where we are today.  Our housing benefit bill is horrendous and out of control.  A 'reasonable rent' where I live is over £1000 per month; its insane.  I really should move North and join you durhamborn.

21 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

But who are the neediest?  Someone who works in Sainsburys 40+ hours to pay rent in a shared house or someone just off a plane with a young baby?

I would say the first - the second can get back on a plane but at the moment it is the reverse.

The trouble is, there aren't actually that many people arriving off a plane with a young baby. In fact, the few that do arrive and require state support are falling.

But there are tens of millions working in Sainsbury's / similar for 40+ hours who will never be able to buy a house.

The system the Conservatives have been preaching for four decades is not delivering the goods. They blame the EU. I suspect that may not be the problem (especially since plenty of other EU countries ARE able to give their citizens a much better standard of living, including a home).