HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 hours ago, fuzzy_bear said:

I don't pay a subscription so don't have access to the whole article but could view enough to catch:

"As a result, many people are selling and then renting instead of buying in the hope prices will fall even lower."

Isn' that utter madness though - Why gamble your family's future in that way? 

Have those "many people" calculated how far would prices need to fall to even break even after incurring all the costs of selling and rental costs for 2-5 years?! 

:rolleyes:

Great first post.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Re: house price crash.

Tbh I believe that the ONLY way this is going to happen is when banks/building societies reign in credit. Bearing in mind banks love doling out cheap and easy credit, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Don't forget, a hell of a lot of boomers who bought houses back in the day were usually limited to borrowing 2.5 times their income....if that happened today, the average cost of a home would be a hell of a lot less than £200,000...

HOLA448
HOLA449
21 minutes ago, Princekie said:

Re: house price crash.

Tbh I believe that the ONLY way this is going to happen is when banks/building societies reign in credit. Bearing in mind banks love doling out cheap and easy credit, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Don't forget, a hell of a lot of boomers who bought houses back in the day were usually limited to borrowing 2.5 times their income....if that happened today, the average cost of a home would be a hell of a lot less than £200,000...

The boomers had a very different experience with house buying because they were getting started when inflation was high. Inflation made short work of the real value of their mortgage.

The first peak of the UK baby boom is IIRC 1947 and the second is 1963. Throughout the 1970s RPI was never less than 7.5% and peaked at almost 25% in the mid-1970s. The first peak boomers are about 70 now. Their houses pretty much paid for themselves compared to the experience of people buying today.

Any boomer who can look a Millennial in the eye without feeling a deep personal shame* embarrassed by their generation's achievements on the housing front is either an ignorant moron or a sociopath (or both).

* Make have slightly overcooked it on the "fake anger" (h/t wotshat - via PM natch :rolleyes:) hence the "compromised second draft".

Edited by Beary McBearface

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just now, Beary McBearface said:

Could be. I'm going undercover to see what's what in the world of the faux bears. Wish me luck. (How bad could 30 days as Beary McBearface possibly be?)

Nobody wants house prices to fall more than me, honest guv but because of [INSERT SCIENCY STUFF ABOUT INTEREST RATES] they are never ever going to fall ever ever. And another thing, even if they could somehow fall (even though they actually can't)  [the government/Mark Carney/BBC/Ghost of Rod Hull] will never allow it.

OK, sorry to interrupt the thread falling house prices falling - what were you guys talking about?

HOLA4413
50 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

Nobody wants house prices to fall more than me, honest guv but because of [INSERT SCIENCY STUFF ABOUT INTEREST RATES] they are never ever going to fall ever ever. And another thing, even if they could somehow fall (even though they actually can't)  [the government/Mark Carney/BBC/Ghost of Rod Hull] will never allow it.

OK, sorry to interrupt the thread falling house prices falling - what were you guys talking about?

agreed, In theory BoE would attempt to hold this level... and lock it in. Fortunately they don't control the price of oil, my guts tells me thats on the rise, hence the stark messages of inflation floating around... Oil goes up..... it becomes more costly to drive this shiny sub prime cars ;)

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

The boomers had a very different experience with house buying because they were getting started when inflation was high. Inflation made short work of the real value of their mortgage.

The first peak of the UK baby boom is IIRC 1947 and the second is 1963. Throughout the 1970s RPI was never less than 7.5% and peaked at almost 25% in the mid-1970s. The first peak boomers are about 70 now. Their houses pretty much paid for themselves compared to the experience of people buying today.

Any boomer who can look a Millennial in the eye without feeling a deep personal shame* embarrassed by their generation's achievements on the housing front is either an ignorant moron or a sociopath (or both).

* Make have slightly overcooked it on the "fake anger" (h/t wotshat - via PM natch :rolleyes:) hence the "compromised second draft".

All good points.

The boomers didn't have zero hour contracts to worry about either. They spent most of the 60s and 70s working their butts off (standing on picket lines).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 hours ago, maverick73 said:

agreed, In theory BoE would attempt to hold this level... and lock it in. Fortunately they don't control the price of oil, my guts tells me thats on the rise, hence the stark messages of inflation floating around... Oil goes up..... it becomes more costly to drive this shiny sub prime cars ;)

Great point. Also the Bitcoin is the Bitcoin isn't it? I mean Bitcoin!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

It has nothing to do with  "gambling" - the opposite, it is banking the silly money offered - I did.

You know the saying though - markets can stay irrational far longer than you can remain solvent. I have been a reader of this forum for 10 years now and pretty much just HPI even with a stonking financial crisis at the start. I remember watching programs about STR in the early naughties - I wonder where they ended up...

Where do you put the STR cash? In cash? In bonds? In the market? What if the crash is 10 years away? I would say if you are in a house you can live in for the forseable future with plenty of equity STR is potentially a gamble. Gambing something perfectly fine that is a 'slow and steady wins the race' to try and win the top prize. Unless you have a very clear plan in case there is no crash (perhaps embrace the renting lifestyle, many swear by it) or tons of disposable income or are stuck in some tiny place that you desperately need to get out of (but with no hope at today's prices), then it may be worthwhile risk.

maybe all these years and I am just highly pessimistic of any crash happening.

HOLA4421
3 minutes ago, Richmond said:

maybe all these years and I am just highly pessimistic of any crash happening.

I share this...but on the other hand, I think the main angle keeps coming back to this question-  should I buy a family home now, or can I still have a life and get it with Less Debt in the future. 

To chip away at this question, this forum has been a great Resource.

None of us know- but my gut instinct is watch and wait and get informed right now and try and keep the show on the road in the meantime- and aim for the Less Debt option.

I think it's going to get interesting. 

HOLA4422
35 minutes ago, Richmond said:

You know the saying though - markets can stay irrational far longer than you can remain solvent.

Arthur Dent's Social History of the Bubble Monkeys

The monkeys loved the bubble. You could tell that they loved the bubble because some of them took a phrase that warned them against leveraged investment on assets with frothy prices and used it to suggest that rushing into crappy houses at top prices was a matter of considerable urgency. Looking back on things it's pretty clear that the arrival of the Vogons was a blessing in disguise. They took thoughts about solvency and rationality and freshened them up in the pitiless vacuum of space.

HOLA4423
51 minutes ago, Patient London FTB said:

Norwich must be thrilled that someone wrote 1,000 words about it without mentioning Alan.

That's how you know the ramping is truly desperate. When an editor tells a junior to excise the Partridge reference in the hope of making the ramping more effective, all bets are off. If the lack of a Partridge joke isn't the ultimate sign of a top then I'll give up my home-owning dreams for good and get myself an annuity that'll cover a retirement in a Travelodge.

HOLA4424
13 hours ago, fuzzy_bear said:

I don't pay a subscription so don't have access to the whole article but could view enough to catch:

"As a result, many people are selling and then renting instead of buying in the hope prices will fall even lower."

Isn' that utter madness though - Why gamble your family's future in that way? 

Have those "many people" calculated how far would prices need to fall to even break even after incurring all the costs of selling and rental costs for 2-5 years?! 

I've sold to rent, mainly as the jump from flat to house is about 250k + have 3 kids so my flat was too small, would have required a 300k + mortgage for something I would actually want to live in.. unless we moved tup north or stay in a 2 bed flat we did not have much choice.. 

i am still saving after paying rent.. but would need house prices to recede or collapse to make up my deposit.. 

300k mortgage at top of the market was too scary! 

HOLA4425
36 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

I'll give up my home-owning dreams for good and get myself an annuity that'll cover a retirement in a Travelodge.

My reason to believe in a house price crash is this: What happens when generation rent retire? Who pays the rents? Who pays the retirement home cost when they have no money/assets to sell? 

I think there has to be some point of collapse simply because the government can't pay for everyone.. so it's mass poverty or collapse or both.. I don't see cupcakes and rainbows with these rent prices..