House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

The Housing Crisis....100 years on...

Came across this today:

http://www.themilitant.com/2004/6831/683150.html

“Whence the housing shortage then?” he asks. As a “necessary product of the bourgeois social order; that it cannot fail to be present in a society in which the great laboring masses are exclusively dependent upon wages, that is to say, upon the quantity of means of subsistence necessary for their existence and for the propagation of their kind; in which improvements of the machinery, etc., continually throw masses of workers out of employment; in which violent and regularly recurring industrial fluctuations determine on the one hand the existence of a large reserve army of unemployed workers, and on the other hand drive the mass of the workers from time to time on to the streets unemployed; in which the workers are crowded together in masses in the big towns, at a quicker rate than dwellings come into existence for them under the prevailing conditions.”

Given the overcrowding in the cities, Engels says, “there must always be tenants even for the most infamous pigsties.”

The landlord, faced with competition, is driven to “ruthlessly making as much out of his property in house rent as he possibly can. In such a society the housing shortage is no accident; it is a necessary institution and can be abolished…only if the whole social order from which it springs is fundamentally refashioned.”

Rent is only part of the profits that capitalists extract from workers. “The pivot on which the exploitation of the worker turns is the sale of his labor power to the capitalist and the use which the capitalist makes of this transaction,” Engels explains. Workers produce far more value for the bosses than they are paid in wages, which, on average, equal the cost of maintaining their ability to work and reproduce themselves, that is, of their labor power.

“It is this transaction between capitalist and worker which produces all the surplus value, afterwards divided in the form of ground rent, commercial profit, interest on capital, taxes, etc., among the diverse varieties of capitalists and their servitors,” Engels says.

In that sense, the housing shortage is not the main question working people confront, but one of the “secondary evils which result from the present-day capitalist mode of production,” he notes. The root of the problem, which needs to be attacked, is “the exploitation of the worker as a worker by the capitalists.”  

The upshot being this mess we are in is well coordinated and deliberate.  The bankers ( rich establishment ) have played the people again...and people are buying it to it before they miss out.

The collapse will come, or the trouble will start.

We're being played, slaves no less.

41 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Came across this today:

..//..

We're being played, slaves no less.

The thing is for me -- this is NOT a "Left" or "Right" thing...  It is plain & simple a matter of decency -- MORALS --- & ACKNOWLEDGING that something is DEEPLY wrong --- & in fact -- it is all the result of FRAUD*. Pure and simple.

*PREDATORY LIAR LOANS translated into "Mortgage Backed Securities" mis-sold as "AAA" "investments"/"assets"........ THAT IS IT - PURE AND SIMPLE.

Edited by eric pebble

3 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

Then thing is for me -- this is NOT a "Left" or "Right" thing...  It is plain & simple a matter of decency -- MORALS --- & ACKNOWLEDGING that something is DEEPLY wrong --- & in fact -- it is all the result of FRAUD*. Pure and simple.

*PREDATORY LIAR LOANS translated into "Mortgage Backed Securities" mis-sold as "AAA" "investments"/"assets"........ THAT IS IT - PURE AND SIMPLE.

You're on fire today Eric.  Could not agree more.

1 minute ago, Social Justice League said:

"We're being played, slaves no less."

Which is why many people (young and old) are now turning anti-capitalist.

The only why to stop the scum elite, without a bloody revolution, is for the 99% to stop consuming and borrowing.

Revolution it is then :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Social Justice League said:

"We're being played, slaves no less."

Which is why many people (young and old) are now turning anti-capitalist.

The only why to stop the scum elite, without a bloody revolution, is for the 99% to stop consuming and borrowing.

"Anti-capitalism" is yet another trick of the elites. The originally posted confused garbage takes the effects of government interference and blames them on market forces.

The elites who supposedly profit off of free market capitalism would never be able to compete in a free market. They rely entirely on State power to extract by force your wealth. This is why they kvetch against liberty so much and propagandise the proles to hate the very thing which has historically and will in the future improve their lives.

Politics is a mug's game for anyone not in the club and you are not in the club. In that sense you are correct that the system will only end when enough people refuse to participate in their own harvesting.

28 minutes ago, Locke said:

"Anti-capitalism" is yet another trick of the elites. The originally posted confused garbage takes the effects of government interference and blames them on market forces.

..//...

Politics is a mug's game ...

TBH I do believe in the essence of so-called "free market forces" as an idea.  I believe in market forces which are NOT rigged by the system -- and I believe there should be intervention wherever and whenever these "forces" go against common decency and fairness.  I know it's not at all simple -- but there is NO WAY that the housing "market" in this country [or many places] is AT ALL being left to free market "forces".  The system is ENTIRELY RIGGED --- top to bottom.  Right at the start --- the so-called "financing" of the whole thing is utterly, utterly corrupt --- and contemptible as a result. The whole thing is riddled with dishonesty.

1 hour ago, eric pebble said:

I believe in market forces which are NOT rigged by the system -- and I believe there should be intervention wherever and whenever these "forces" go against common decency and fairness

This is a self-contradiction. Any violent (i.e. State) intervention in the name of "fairness" is rigging the system. Once you accept the legitimacy of such interventions, even with the best of intentions, you open the door to psychopaths (politicians and their hangers-on [corporations]) using those powers for their own gain at your expense.

1 hour ago, eric pebble said:

The system is ENTIRELY RIGGED --- top to bottom.  Right at the start --- the so-called "financing" of the whole thing is utterly, utterly corrupt --- and contemptible as a result. The whole thing is riddled with dishonesty.

Yes, absolutely and so it has nothing to do with a free market. Anyone who attempts to attribute today's problems to liberty is ignorant, or actively evil.

21 minutes ago, Locke said:

This is a self-contradiction. Any violent (i.e. State) intervention in the name of "fairness" is rigging the system. Once you accept the legitimacy of such interventions, even with the best of intentions, you open the door to psychopaths (politicians and their hangers-on [corporations]) using those powers for their own gain at your expense.

Yes, absolutely and so it has nothing to do with a free market. Anyone who attempts to attribute today's problems to liberty is ignorant, or actively evil.

Er......   Oh dear........:unsure:   I am ACTIVELY evil as opposed to inactively evil?!?:o:unsure:   

Sigh......

2 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I should be able to build a shelter anywhere I like.

Every single human being currently alive is just passing through and owns nothing.

Same as all the billions of people who have came and went.

Apart from the queens family. They're special, the BBC told me.

The flaw in human beings tiny minds is the thought that they will be here for a long time, but we aren't here for a long time, yet the halfwits still obsess about consuming poorly built houses and cars and iphones, when the reality is, all we are all doing is chalking off days until we kick the bucket.

All that Chinese tat won't save anyone from the reaper.

Look at how devastated Florida is and then think about constantly filling shitboxes full of rubbish.

We probably need a storm like that in the UK to blow away all those overpriced new builds.

20 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

lol

The new iphone is a grand and the halfwits will lap it up.

I ask you, WTF is the world coming too?  :0

I am an advocate of those trapped by the year they were born, their student debt, the daft house prices they face and the lack of hope it generates. Yearn for a decent crash to level the playing field. 

But agree re the iPhone. I live in a privileged little town where 40 something parents earn > national average, have the Lexus 4x4 and the Fiat 500 and buy iPhones, (maybe another fiat 500)  and designer rubbish for their teenage 'purchase monsters'. Many teens drinking frappicinnos 5 days a week, an abundance of £20 notes from BOMAD and going to the Everyman cinema in Friday's (£16 a seat) because only losers go to the £5 Odeon. 

Sad parents generating tax for the government and teaching their little ones how to spend money and to follow in their footsteps. Circle of 'new' life

Chance of revolution - 0.000%

Chance of opting out of buying stuff - even less.

I generalise of course but it seems the 'poorer' families are generating the genuinely intellectual young breed....whether they are allowed to influence the countries future or the 'teen pop X factor kids' will be an interesting 30 years to play out. 

I actually think that young people are right to invest in experiences rather that collecting worthless possessions.

Why pay the scum banks interest payments for your whole life for some shitty overpriced property?

Why buy poorly built new cars?

Why buy cheap tech made in China?

Why consume more than you need?

22 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I actually think that young people are right to invest in experiences rather that collecting worthless possessions.

Why pay the scum banks interest payments for your whole life for some shitty overpriced property?

Most experiences are a form of consumerism - holidays etc - unless you mean something like walking in the park.

Saying that I don' t think you are wrong.

22 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

lol

The new iphone is a grand and the halfwits will lap it up.

I ask you, WTF is the world coming too?  :0

but it has mortgage comparison and pcp deal apps built in , you are paying for status :lol:

19 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Most experiences are a form of consumerism - holidays etc - unless you mean something like walking in the park.

Saying that I don' t think you are wrong.

taking a dump and flushing the toilet is consumerism . you pay for the waste water to go and to fill the cistern. 

non consumers are homeless don`t beg to buy anything and eat from the bins. 

It`s a bit hard to be a non consumer 

1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

I agree and the generation above could help by leading by example. It's a horrid little set up I see with only the occasional glimpse of some truly inspirational people (all ages...and all wealth brackets). 

Zombie spending, drives zombie working, drives Zombie living. And yet I guess Zombies believe they are happy....so they continue.

Must dash I need to buy some crap I don't need that an tv advert I saw with a lifestyle slogan actually said I needed. 

5 hours ago, longgone said:

taking a dump and flushing the toilet is consumerism . you pay for the waste water to go and to fill the cistern. 

Not normally what people mean by consumerism but I take your point

On 9/14/2017 at 3:03 PM, Social Justice League said:

The flaw in human beings tiny minds is the thought that they will be here for a long time, but we aren't here for a long time, yet the halfwits still obsess about consuming poorly built houses and cars and iphones, when the reality is, all we are all doing is chalking off days until we kick the bucket.

All that Chinese tat won't save anyone from the reaper.

Look at how devastated Florida is and then think about constantly filling shitboxes full of rubbish.

We probably need a storm like that in the UK to blow away all those overpriced new builds.

Those new builds just need a slightly windy November evening to blow over.I passed one the other day with the edge of the roof hanging off.8 months old.Eco home they sell them as,so dont need lights,shines through the roof.

6 hours ago, longgone said:

I dodged a bullet on that one then. I always wait till dark and dump on my neighbours lawn. ??