House Price Crash Forum

Vaping stores, charity shop, barbers , hair dressers, mobile repair, nail bars, milkshake bars

Ash4781

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

On my way to work I walk past a row of shops. In order:

Pizza, nail bar, barbers, chippy, chiropractor?,bookies, window shop :-) (double glazing), hairdressers, estate agents, tanning salon, stationers, empty shop, Chinese restaurant, convenience store, gym !!, and Indian restaurant.

Not a butcher, baker or candlestick maker in sight......

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
30 minutes ago, Option5 said:

On my way to work I walk past a row of shops. In order:

Pizza, nail bar, barbers, chippy, chiropractor?,bookies, window shop :-) (double glazing), hairdressers, estate agents, tanning salon, stationers, empty shop, Chinese restaurant, convenience store, gym !!, and Indian restaurant.

Not a butcher, baker or candlestick maker in sight......

Pretty impressive that you can remember the order of the shops!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I have often thought about this in the last few years regarding the closest town to me. A drab, unimpressive little place. I can only assume that these places do not make much money at all. I can only assume that they are for the most part owner operated and basically provide the equivalent of a pretty ordinary salary for the owners. I think the owners of many of these places have done not much more than buy themselves a job. Like a Subway franchisee. They likely make more than the average salary, but they are hardly "entrepreneurs". A nation of shop keepers basically.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Parkwell said:

Can anyone explain to me how Games Workshop stores still make enough money to be just off my modest high street (with many empty shops) and on a major road in two nearby towns (maybe more)? Did they buy up all the shops in the 90s crash?

Because I spent all my pocket/paper round and christmas money there as a kid.  The stuff was expensive then.

HOLA4419

Well I don't know where you lot live, but I live in the hipster heart of east London:

Cafe, bike shop, cafe, artisan pizza, cafe, moustache grooming, cafe, speciality cactus emporium, cafe, micro-brewery, cafe, urban farm, cafe, vinyl record store, cafe, space hoppers for adults, cafe, co-working space, cafe, Peruvian cerviche shack, cafe, extortionate chocolate boutique, cafe, lame pop-up by desperate global brand, cafe

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, Parkwell said:

Can anyone explain to me how Games Workshop stores still make enough money to be just off my modest high street (with many empty shops) and on a major road in two nearby towns (maybe more)? Did they buy up all the shops in the 90s crash?

Games Workshop stuff is expensive, and many of the people who started playing it in the 90s as children are still doing it now as 30something adults with full time jobs and disposable income.

HOLA4421
37 minutes ago, Orsino said:

Well I don't know where you lot live, but I live in the hipster heart of east London:

Cafe, bike shop, cafe, artisan pizza, cafe, moustache grooming, cafe, speciality cactus emporium, cafe, micro-brewery, cafe, urban farm, cafe, vinyl record store, cafe, space hoppers for adults, cafe, co-working space, cafe, Peruvian cerviche shack, cafe, extortionate chocolate boutique, cafe, lame pop-up by desperate global brand, cafe

Lmao

No breakfast cereal bar?

HOLA4422

Town centers really have them selves to blame. Before the Internet came along they could afford expensive , rent , rates , parking and staff wages . Internet shopping came along and all the above made the dvd that can be posted to you not worth the hassle of going in towns.

Just leaving the service type shops

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Lmao

No breakfast cereal bar?

Well there is that one too, but it's now the wrong side of irony for hipsters. Breakfast around here normally consists of £5 loaves of sourdough, some coffee that's been fermented in the digestive system of a wild cat, and a pretentious art magazine with a circulation of no more than triple figures.

Sadly I'm not making any of this up. Don't think there could be such a hipster thing as a speciality cactus emporium? Think again.

http://www.prickldn.com/

Judging by their name, they know their target audience well. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
8 hours ago, Orsino said:

Well there is that one too, but it's now the wrong side of irony for hipsters. Breakfast around here normally consists of £5 loaves of sourdough, some coffee that's been fermented in the digestive system of a wild cat, and a pretentious art magazine with a circulation of no more than triple figures.

Sadly I'm not making any of this up. Don't think there could be such a hipster thing as a speciality cactus emporium? Think again.

http://www.prickldn.com/

Judging by their name, they know their target audience well. 

There was a breakfast cereal bar here in Leeds a few years ago. No one went to it, presumably because it's silly. There's a superb little curry cafe just near where it was that for the same price as a bowl of cereal does a really good curry or, in the morning, a renowned vegetarian breakfast (being halal they couldn't really do bacon or sausages). Nice coffee too. I mean I love a good independent café or brickabrac shop or bakery, but they are best when they profit from actual profit. I'm sure you'd agree.

Archived