Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Guest

At first I thought cheeky old baby boomer

Recommended Posts

Guest

But

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41229775

 

It's a step in the right direction, and if the hard working young for now can find a warm, comfortable place to eat, sleep and wash while saving bundles on rent and paying it out to scum BTL landlords then I am all for it, lets have some more ideas like this.

 

P.S    To my HPC nemeisis who I have banned, please just move onto the next post if you don't have me on you banned list as well, I dont value a word you post and I cannot see anyway:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to have to spend significant time in London for work, I'd be ok with that if they're much cheaper than camping in a hotel. 

But for actually "living there"?

Maybe if you're 22 and single. And the price was 1/3rd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

But

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41229775

 

It's a step in the right direction, and if the hard working young for now can find a warm, comfortable place to eat, sleep and wash while saving bundles on rent and paying it out to scum BTL landlords then I am all for it, lets have some more ideas like this.

 

P.S    To my HPC nemeisis who I have banned, please just move onto the next post if you don't have me on you banned list as well, I dont value a word you post and I cannot see anyway:)

Funny you should say that.  I'd only blocked about 2 people in 9 years, now standing at 12.  A sign of desperation me thinks.

One of them regularly replies to my comments but I don't see the B.S. reply.  I dunno if they're realized yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Funny you should say that.  I'd only blocked about 2 people in 9 years, now standing at 12.  A sign of desperation me thinks.

One of them regularly replies to my comments but I don't see the B.S. reply.  I dunno if they're realized yet.

 

Now everyone is wondering if they're on your banned list :D..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't that nice BBC report retirement homes lost money? - even more extreme, just the other end of life, without the benefit of selling a F.O. Family home.  I do wonder how much they will loose in 'value'.

Edited by Mine the wheatfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mine the wheatfield said:

Didn't that nice BBC report retirement homes lost money? - even more extreme, just the other end of life, without the benefit of selling a F.O. Family home.  I do wonder how much they will lose in 'value'.

Two oxymoron's in one sentence, "nice BBC" and "homes lost money". Don't you know that the BBC are totally unbiased and prices of 'homes' only ever go up? :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rantnrave said:

Wouldn't look out of place in Tokyo. Difference there is that eating out is vastly cheaper than the UK - so people meet in restaurants rather than socialise / entertain at their home.

Almost everything in Tokyo is cheaper, spent a couple of weeks there and other bits of Japan 2 years ago.  Friend and his wife live there.  She has a proper job and gets all her transport to work paid for, less pay than here but can still do more with it.   Eating out 3 or 4 times a week after work is quite normal.   Their flat including walking to station is around 45mins to central Tokyo and they bought it for £130k 10 years ago and even now would not get £150k for it.  He teaches English but only part time but still enough to live on properly.   The problem in the UK is that it is not by any stretch of anyone's imagination the 'peoples' country.  All for the incumbent rich and a bit for those sitting on their coat tails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wotsthat said:

But

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41229775

 

It's a step in the right direction, and if the hard working young for now can find a warm, comfortable place to eat, sleep and wash while saving bundles on rent and paying it out to scum BTL landlords then I am all for it, lets have some more ideas like this.

 

P.S    To my HPC nemeisis who I have banned, please just move onto the next post if you don't have me on you banned list as well, I dont value a word you post and I cannot see anyway:)

Wouldn't these places be more suitable for old people? No stairs, not a lot of walking around to do, they can pay the rent with their pension? Also means they can throw out all of the stuff they've hoarded over the years? Perfect downsizing opportunity? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this bit

Quote

"If a city is not inclusive, and not supporting its entire workforce properly, it won't be a living city."

London does have enough homes for its workforce - we just give them to those who don't work there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I like this bit

London does have enough homes for its workforce - we just give them to those who don't work there.

.....yes, everyone who works there wherever they come from requires somewhere to live.....if those that do not live there are respected and valued more, what is the point of working in a place long-term investing both time and resources when it becomes mostly take and little give, might as well move to a place where do feel better valued?;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

.....yes, everyone who works there wherever they come from requires somewhere to live.....if those that do not live there are respected and valued more, what is the point of working in a place long-term investing both time and resources when it becomes mostly take and little give, might as well move to a place where do feel better valued?;)

I am glad you agree with the diagnosis - now you just need to agree with the solution - stop doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are homes getting smaller because we are digitising everything or are we digitising everything because homes are getting smaller?

Culture will adapt to a further reduction in home space. The economy will take another knock as people buy and collect less. Want a hobby? Be focused because you aren't going to fit a full range of art and crafts materials plus a gaming setup in one of these flats comfortably. If cookery is your interest you'd best focus on a specific course as there's little room for all the equipment and ingredients. Entertain guests? Maybe one or two.

This is temporary living at best. A minor step up from student halls.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly designed for people who are out to work all day, they eat out, exercise out, mostly entertain out, all good for the economy.....only there to put head down, wash, make a cup of tea and check emails, social media.....till tomorrow.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like applying a sticking plaster to a gaping wound...doesn't address the long-term issue does it?...and as for 'charm offensive of the local council' read bribe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

Possibly designed for people who are out to work all day, they eat out, exercise out, mostly entertain out, all good for the economy.....only there to put head down, wash, make a cup of tea and check emails, social media.....till tomorrow.;)

True. These people exist and it can fill that niche but it is a niche. I suspect a survey would show even many of those people would appreciate some extra space and then it becomes a matter of what the cost benefit is.

At the right point in my life I could live in one of these for a few years, especially if it was priced right. Not sure about any longer. But as I said, culture will adapt if that's the way it goes. I'm not sure I want it to go too far that way. I don't believe it has to either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

Are homes getting smaller because we are digitising everything or are we digitising everything because homes are getting smaller?

Or are they unrelated, and this is someone cashing in on someone's stupidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't see the appeal versus shared flats.  Regardless of how efficiently they pack the space it's still less efficient than sharing a kitchen and bathroom between a number of rooms.  

What's driving these versus flatshares? Are we becoming more solitary? Or are these for those who struggle to find flatshares e.g. recent divorcees? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

True. These people exist and it can fill that niche but it is a niche. I suspect a survey would show even many of those people would appreciate some extra space and then it becomes a matter of what the cost benefit is.

At the right point in my life I could live in one of these for a few years, especially if it was priced right. Not sure about any longer. But as I said, culture will adapt if that's the way it goes. I'm not sure I want it to go too far that way. I don't believe it has to either.

 

.....the way things are going, harder to find a secure livable base that fits budget and growing inequality it could be that many more people will not pair up as a family unit to procreate......no children and only children.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wotsthat said:

+10

And now there is a political p***ing competition to home, and quite comfortably, non working ethnics who know how and who to shout at loud enough for homes in prime central London only walking distance from central London.

I am London born and bred with no desire to never work or have kids out of work or to become a criminal who offers to do a deal of if you home me and I will behave, in other words I can never return to London ever again.

Although there is a problem with immigrants who come here for free housing*, there are plenty of people who are not immigrants who are the same.

 

*Many don't of course but why house any - it would reduce racism if we didn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wotsthat said:

+10

And now there is a political p***ing competition to home, and quite comfortably, non working ethnics who know how and who to shout at loud enough for homes in prime central London only walking distance from central London.

I am London born and bred with no desire to never work or have kids out of work or to become a criminal who offers to do a deal of if you home me and I will behave, in other words I can never return to London ever again.

What I am reading is a poster with very little to say about house prices who is very active and is constantly reaching out for very divisive issues and addressing them in an inflammatory way.

How do we get from "micro-homes" (a reasonable subject for a HP&TE thread) to this "I can never return to London ever again" hyperbole in just two posts?

I'm sticking with my assessment that this is an out-out-out troll who has created a posting persona and is using that persona to spam HP&TE with off-topic threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

i think you overestimate them sir!

Always a possibility but I keep seeing a weird inconsistency in their tone, as if somebody is trying out an authorial voice but  then slips out of it into a more natural but entirely different voice. (More trivially I can buy the idea that it's possible that someone can't spell nemesis - but for someone to run through a two different spelling variants of that word on the same day? That's odd.) Anyway, my boring on about this is of pretty limited interest even to me. Hopefully their sounding off about ignoring me will give way in time to a more successful attempt to actually ignore me and I can keep up my commentary about them (for the entertainment and edification of anyone who can be bothered to read it) without unduly compromising the integrity of any more valuable discussion on any affected threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wotsthat said:

+10

And now there is a political p***ing competition to home, and quite comfortably, non working ethnics who know how and who to shout at loud enough for homes in prime central London only walking distance from central London.

I am London born and bred with no desire to never work or have kids out of work or to become a criminal who offers to do a deal of if you home me and I will behave, in other words I can never return to London ever again.

Given the caps on benefit, immigrants  (or "ethnics" as you disparagingly call them, although we are all ethnics), no one gets to live in prime central London except in social housing, but you are far more likely to be dumped in a flat in Tottenham. There are not vast numbers of empty flats on the World's End estate in Chelsea waiting for immigrants. 

Your idea that there is some technique to getting these prime properties  that only immigrants are aware of sounds more like you spend too long in a Daily Mail echo chamber than the real world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 293 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.