House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Canada Raises Interest rates

https://www.ft.com/content/2e08ed20-8ad2-36bc-b896-ad70298db4dc

Canada raises benchmark rate to 1%, adding to July increase

Think I heard the pop all the way in France

Sorry, can';t hang about laughing at loonies who think IRs will stay low forever...things to do..

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Slightly off topic, but Count I am sure you have seen the rates in France much lower than in the UK and you secure your mortgage for the full duration. No remortgaging necessary

3 minutes ago, Panda said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2357071/Inside-875k-Bank-chief-Mark-Carneys-home-costing-YOU-11-000-month.html

His missus is English. Never knew that. When you read the article, its like we are all blessed.

"Mrs Carney – an environmental campaigner who recently declared war on teabags"

sjw

Houses have carbon footprints too, and massive ones have massiver footprints. Ffs.

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

"Mrs Carney – an environmental campaigner who recently declared war on teabags"

sjw

Houses have carbon footprints too, and massive ones have massiver footprints. Ffs.

As the saying goes: " everyone wants to save the earth but nobody wants to help mother dry the dishes".

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

https://www.ft.com/content/2e08ed20-8ad2-36bc-b896-ad70298db4dc

Canada raises benchmark rate to 1%, adding to July increase

Think I heard the pop all the way in France

Sorry, can';t hang about laughing at loonies who think IRs will stay low forever...things to do..

someone turned the heating up in the BOE

8 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Why have they raised rates?

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-of-canada-hikes-rate-to-one-per-cent

Stronger than expected growth and real concerns about the housing market which have prompted a fiscal response as well as a monetary one. Meanwhile in the UK growth is lower than expected and TPTB don't recognise that there is a housing bubble....... yet.

21 minutes ago, adarmo said:

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/bank-of-canada-hikes-rate-to-one-per-cent

Stronger than expected growth and real concerns about the housing market which have prompted a fiscal response as well as a monetary one. Meanwhile in the UK growth is lower than expected and TPTB don't recognise that there is a housing bubble....... yet.

I wonder when they will recognise there is a bubble? When prices are 25x earnings?

5 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

I wonder when they will recognise there is a bubble? When prices are 25x earnings?

I note that the Bank of Canada are concerned that householder will struggle to meet 'higher mortgage costs'. Here's an idea, do your job and stop those pesky 'higher mortgage costs' in the first place.

2 hours ago, Blod said:

I note that the Bank of Canada are concerned that householder will struggle to meet 'higher mortgage costs'. Here's an idea, do your job and stop those pesky 'higher mortgage costs' in the first place.

Eh? Stable doors, horses, etc. 

2 hours ago, Blod said:

They were happy for them to stretch themselves to borrow s**t loads of cash against an asset that is clearly insane.

2 hours ago, Steppenpig said:

Did you read the bit about pulling out of the trade agreement as well.. 

there is plenty going on.. it’s hard to work out how quickly things will get bad.. or if this painful death will be dragged out for a few more years.. 

BOE says no rate rise.. ECB seems to be sticking to 0 as well.. Italian elections look very dicey for the EU.. like holes appearing in the Berlin Wall..