House Price Crash Forum
Tulip_mania

BBC article on salary by occupation

Presumably prompted by the  BBC have an article showing that the average UK salary in 2016 was £28,213. It then lets you select the sub categories of job and shows you the average salary for that job and how they've varied against the average for the last 5 years. Given that 75-80% of people are employed in the private sector it's interesting that the public sector jobs which are often mentioned re pay freezes are actually more or less moving stably relative to average

But hey, house prices averaging £200k are entirely sensible with a £28k average salary.

At least 'property, housing and estate managers' £33,973 have gone down by  4% over the last 5 years.

It's not that wages are too low, it's that house/rent prices are too high!

If your rent/mortgage was £300 a month you could afford to live on £15k a year and 28k would be comfortable. Even better the government could put taxes up to raise money for schools, hospitals and infrastructure. Along with working tax credits, house prices cost the government a fortune and are crippling the working class, people just don't understand, high house prices should be rejected and fought against. They make society poorer and raise inequality.. 

5 minutes ago, sPinwheel said:

Hooker doesn't show up as a profession.:(

Tried it but had to give up after two weeks, it was breaking my back. I think it was going home every night dragging the sackful of 20p pieces that did it  :wacko:

Wish I hadn't looked, didn't realise I was so far up the list (in top 20 of 328 jobs) and yet can't get a 25 year mortgage on the 1 bed flat I rent. Hard work now means feck all when others have gained when property was cheap.

Edited by Barnsey

The reality is rather different re: average salary - the stats don't include the self employed who make up to 1/3 of the workforce in some areas and on average earn around £12,000 pa

I notice they can't help but bring up the mythical ''gender pay gap'' in the article.

In the case of my job they claim women earn 3% less per hour than men, absolute rubbish, all employees in my industry are on exactly the same pay scale. 

20 hours ago, macca13 said:

It's not that wages are too low, it's that house/rent prices are too high!

If your rent/mortgage was £300 a month you could afford to live on £15k a year and 28k would be comfortable. Even better the government could put taxes up to raise money for schools, hospitals and infrastructure. Along with working tax credits, house prices cost the government a fortune and are crippling the working class, people just don't understand, high house prices should be rejected and fought against. They make society poorer and raise inequality.. 

+1

I people don't understand but they like having an expensive home.

23 hours ago, london_thirtythree said:

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40756834

You can play a bit of a game with this one - see if you can find a profession whose average salary could afford you an average 2 bed flat in London.

It's trickier than you think! :wacko:

Thanks.  Wow a whole 1% pay rise per year for my trade. Yay! It's about right for salary.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, london_thirtythree said:

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40756834

You can play a bit of a game with this one - see if you can find a profession whose average salary could afford you an average 2 bed flat in London.

It's trickier than you think! :wacko:

I don't agree a pilot could easily afford a 3 bed flat in a sink estate in Zone4.  Good news for the real life Tom Cruise.

Nurse £31,929 (plus visits to food bank presumably)

Police Officer, sergeant and below £39,802

Engineering professional £40,180

We've had a few discussions on here about the value placed on engineers, here you can see it. 

6 hours ago, nome said:

I notice they can't help but bring up the mythical ''gender pay gap'' in the article. 

Very few of these salaries come close to what those female presenters earn on the BBC.  Just think, they'll all have had massive pay rises now to put them on equal pay to Gary Lineker.  I'm sure we all feel better for that.

16 minutes ago, kzb said:

Nurse £31,929 (plus visits to food bank presumably)

Police Officer, sergeant and below £39,802

Engineering professional £40,180

We've had a few discussions on here about the value placed on engineers, here you can see it. 

We have a fairly loose interpretation of what an engineering professional is in this country.

I'm an engineer and on substantially more than that.