House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Lego to axe 1,400 job

I guess that's why lego went a bit mental over the last decade expanding their brand into films and all sorts, pretty good considering they're just a load of plastic bricks

ultimately though, when you strip away the noise its a few plastic building blocks at the bottom, which used to have a monopoly and now don't. mega simple stuff.

I suspect that the Lego management are simply trying to put all the pieces together so they are left with a decent model on which the company can be run.

52 minutes ago, kzb said:

Lego is hideously expensive for what it is.  A few bits of molded plastic.

Nope.

Lego is high quality plastic. The non brand stuff fades and cracks.

Ona   price/fun/play ours Lego beats other toys hands down

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Nope.

Lego is high quality plastic. The non brand stuff fades and cracks.

Ona   price/fun/play ours Lego beats other toys hands down

Show me how much of the price difference is due to the quality of the plastic !?

Yes Lego in its basic form is a fantastic toy for little kids and its quality is good.  Agreed.

But it lost its way some time ago with these kits with which you can build one item from a kids film.

15 minutes ago, kzb said:

Show me how much of the price difference is due to the quality of the plastic !?

Yes Lego in its basic form is a fantastic toy for little kids and its quality is good.  Agreed.

But it lost its way some time ago with these kits with which you can build one item from a kids film.

Its plastic, colours, production techinque + processes.

Lego lasts. The other stuff doesn't.

China's no longer cheap + cheerful.

Lego used to be fun but its now so expensive my friend bought some lego car or something like that for his son for about £50+

His son built what was on the box in about a hour then moved on where's the creativity, going sound like a old man now but when i was a kid i had boxes and boxes of random bits of lego and would sit there for hours building random things using my imagination 

35 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

Lego used to be fun but its now so expensive my friend bought some lego car or something like that for his son for about £50+

His son built what was on the box in about a hour then moved on where's the creativity, going sound like a old man now but when i was a kid i had boxes and boxes of random bits of lego and would sit there for hours building random things using my imagination 

Yeh that was my point.  The cost of designing all these specific kits is being passed on (and more) to the basic building blocks which cannot be that expensive to mass-produce.

I gave my kids the lego I had as a child (over 30 years old). Also bought them many boxes of lego (in addition to presents of lego from others)... but they've never played with it. Not interested.

Its not just them. In their school, pretty much no one plays with lego... although ALL the children's parents bought loads of lego for their children in the mistaken belief that the current generation are like them.

All the children really play with Roblox and Minecraft. They build stuff, makke worlds and share it... but in a 3D interactive and multiplayer environment.

Lego's own brand "games" never really took off in the same way roblox and minecraft did either.

8 hours ago, hayder said:

I gave my kids the lego I had as a child (over 30 years old). Also bought them many boxes of lego (in addition to presents of lego from others)... but they've never played with it. Not interested.

Its not just them. In their school, pretty much no one plays with lego... although ALL the children's parents bought loads of lego for their children in the mistaken belief that the current generation are like them.

All the children really play with Roblox and Minecraft. They build stuff, makke worlds and share it... but in a 3D interactive and multiplayer environment.

Lego's own brand "games" never really took off in the same way roblox and minecraft did either.

That echoes my own experience with  Panza junior when he was 6.Interest in Lego lasted about two weeks.None of his pals were really into it.I suspect Lego has bigger problems looming.

Edited by Sancho Panza