House Price Crash Forum

Obscene house prices do my nut because...

HOLA441
7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

It's a joke, a sick sick joke.  I can scarcely believe what I have witnessed since 2007.  Carney and Osborne should be publicly hung (IMHO) for what they have done as warning to others.

I keep thinking it will collapse, only for another corrupt tranche of  money printing, a new scheme or lower IRs kick in then they divert a collapse.  If they have been prepared to go that far what will stop them when it does collapse from taking everything of anyone who has anything left ?

I expect plenty of young people will leave eventually.  Who's going to pay for all those pensions for the civil servant etc, no one with any sense,  Much trouble to come.

I've done a decade watching this s**t, screaming at the TV/Radio as the next crime is announce.  I watch that little s**t Carney smirk on TV as he said Low interest rates a good thing for savers.  I'm sick of listening to the sheeple and their mantra of you can't loose on bricks and mortar, what short memorys these people have, just ask the couple who bought my house in 2007.

The prices in 2007 were insane, properly insane, by any measure, now people are trying to selling houses in f**king Northampton for twice as much.  Our taxes/futrures have been flung at keeping these prices up, the banks afloat and the rich rich.  Why the f**k are any of us still here !!!

If people can't see the madness of this of the UK house price mania then I dont know what planet people are living on.

the simple fact is the people who buy have not much to lose , its either rent or buy they don`t have capital to begin with . it it goes to crap just hand the house back and start again they would be renting anyway. 

MONTHlY PAYMENT that`s all the plebs care about 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
2 hours ago, longgone said:

well at least you had kids i hit 40 this year with no job, no career really anymore, despise what i did do when i was working. 

prices do my nut because i need my own space , but thank fook i have some decent savings was just too stupid not to buy in 2008 although i advised others to. 

i would be happy with a flat near a train station and a tiny mortgage now i give up

The sentiment in this post felt eerily familiar, although there are differences in our circumstances* - so I just want to say "good luck", and hope you have (as I'm sure you do) the grit to keep on going though the dark times.

* I'm older than you are, and although I had to walk out of my job/career this year, I have found a new job to do. Athough it's tough starting again from scratch, it's a much better situation (not financially, but in terms of keeping my sanity).

HOLA444
1 hour ago, wotsthat said:

Very similar to you, I have  for a while now wanted start a thread on the way this UK debacle makes you feel along with how others make you feel, but have not started a thread...

This thread seems to be filling that need pretty well.

Please don't hold back on posting, though: I always enjoy reading what you have to say, whether it's reflections from a distance, or the raw ups and downs of living through this mess of a financialized UK.

HOLA445

Obscene house prices do my nut because they are ruining the lives of millions of people, the unseen and unheard and the people with any power to change things don't seem to care. Not only do they not care, but they're either delusional, coming out with things like 'affordable housing' that isn't affordable, and 'help to buy' which isn't; or they're know they're being the most dishonest shits you can imagine. So we're either governed by incompetents, or shits. Huh?

It's also like a disease, that's spread throught the British psyche. It's caused me to see people in this country as selfish and greedy, and I find it hard to see the good in people anymore.

Edited by honkydonkey

HOLA446
6 hours ago, North London Rent Girl said:

Count, grab some popcorn started the thread, do you really think he's trolling? What's happened to my troll-dar, second time this has happened in the past couple of weeks, am just not seeing it.

Count?

HOLA447

Obscene house prices do my nut because I am worked into the ground for the reward of going back to a crumby 1 bed flat in Basingstoke each evening. Meanwhile the teams and operatives I manage, who generally sit labelling packaging all day or pressing buttons on machines or driving FLTs, go back to £500,000+ houses. The jealously I have for their lives is beyond normal envy. I could easily upgrade my standard of living (rent bigger/better) as I am earning a top salary but that'd just mean paying most of that salary over to some boomer and having nothing to show for my efforts in 5-10 years time. All the while my tax and NI continuing to pay for half my neighbours to live in the same accomodation as me for doing next to nowt or diddly squat.

I can do 1 more year in the SE then I am moving, already pencilled the deadline as Sept 2018. I got a "promotion" recently, couldn't have been more disinterested/underwhelmed, the bog roll we're paid in now is as  nothing compared to the price of shelter. I don't think employers have quite caught up to it either, probably still deluded to think my "bloated" salary affords a decent lifestyle, 20 years ago perhaps...

HOLA448

The obscene prices occurred because investors & speculators outbid each other using easy credit (IO BTL mortgages, which did not exist before the 1996 Housing Act allowed tenants to be evicted almost at will).  The bubble inflated, but the prices were cited as proof that housing was in short supply and would always rise in price. The bubble was used to justify the bubble. Tippical ponzi scheme. BTL investors only did so to sell on at a profit, the rent was neither here nor there. 

Anyone who didn't buy their first home my early 2000s was very lilkely to be priced out. They (me!) are still looked down on, almost mocked, for having missed the boat.  What about my children? And their children? Is it there fauly they didnt buy a house when they were still a twinkle in my eye?

So for me it is not just the insanity of the bubble itself, but also the attitude of the "winners" toward the "losers". Lay that on top of the fact I'm stuck in a cr@p rental, stuck in a job I'd like to take a pay cut to escape ... stuck on this bl00dy forum hoping there will be a crash one day.

But, there's always wine, cycling, music, good books, family, friends, not always in that order. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My missus and me are in France on holiday this week.  We've viewed a house with an agent we met last time we stayed there.

It's a stunning place so we've put in a low offer 30% off and the agent is hopeful they will accept, the heated infinity pool was the clincher.

For the same money in Northampton I could buy this for cash.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68644466.html

( A house that should in reality be worth £80K ).

We've had enough of the UK now for many of the reasons people are posting here and are ready for the off, we do not want our children brought up in Northampton, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter.

We should find out tomorrow hopefully.  If it goes ahead I'll work my notice till Christmas and be off.  We don't need to work now, so why bother.

I'd move back of course, the day after a republic is declared and the 99% have an actual constitution.  I wont hold my breath.

Good luck with that. What on earth is going off in Northampton? In my view it is one of the craziest "local" bubbles in the country, I can somewhat understand London/Oxford/Cambridge/Bath but Northampton?! Northampton should be discounted by about 60%+ - absolutely bonkers.

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Good luck with that. What on earth is going off in Northampton? In my view it is one of the craziest "local" bubbles in the country, I can somewhat understand London/Oxford/Cambridge/Bath but Northampton?! Northampton should be discounted by about 60%+ - absolutely bonkers.

Less than 70 miles, that's what.

I'm starting to think seriously about emigrating. 

HOLA4412
20 minutes ago, Princekie said:

Less than 70 miles, that's what.

I'm starting to think seriously about emigrating. 

So are many others, I'm seeing many friends relocating to other parts of Europe. Why work in a country when it's currency value declines, while produce and substanance becomes more expensive.... I'll assume Starbucks's will be staffed by those on the dole queue!

HOLA4413
19 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

So are many others, I'm seeing many friends relocating to other parts of Europe. Why work in a country when it's currency value declines, while produce and substanance becomes more expensive.... I'll assume Starbucks's will be staffed by those on the dole queue!

I've said it for a few years Mav.

With each passing year, I seem to get less and less for my money. I got promoted four months ago, and saw my salary rise nearly £5000 a year. But the increase in salary doesn't compensate for how utterly p**sed off I am with the way things are. It doesn't get me the home I want, and it sure as hell doesn't buy me job satisfaction (or country satisfaction).

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

+10000090000000000000000000000

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Toast said:

The sentiment in this post felt eerily familiar, although there are differences in our circumstances* - so I just want to say "good luck", and hope you have (as I'm sure you do) the grit to keep on going though the dark times.

* I'm older than you are, and although I had to walk out of my job/career this year, I have found a new job to do. Athough it's tough starting again from scratch, it's a much better situation (not financially, but in terms of keeping my sanity).

i walked out in 2011 managed to find another role in 2014 walked out of that 2 weeks later not worked since.  even if  i do manage to find work, employment is so insecure nowadays i doubt anyone can plan their life long term anymore.  employers want the world and don`t pay anywhere near enough. 

being single and un sprogged is probably a blessing 

HOLA4418
36 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

#comedyGold

You could do on a stage with a line like that.

really why ?

renter with no funds manages to buy a house if it goes to crap just walk away go bankrupt . 

i see no comedy at all, looks very real to me.  forgotten about northern rock 120% mortgages already ?? 

multiply the situation by millions of people , what i find comedy gold is the people who still think that there has to be logic that the system will fail . 

There is no logic. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, wotsthat said:

Thanks Toast

Yes you are right, this thread is filling that void nicely. I have personally had it with these super intellects that can see beyond the truth we think we understnd and which  we mere mortals are way beyond undestanding. I am just a working guy who personally does not want to see bad on homeowners or non homeowners, things are just not right though as they stand.

Anyone want to take a guess at the name of one of the previous posters who got a vote of confidence from Toast...

A Man Who Boozes
An Irish Poem of Unknown Origin

It was a year ago, September
a day I well remember
I was walking up and down
in drunken pride
when my knees began to flutter
and I fell down in the gutter
and a pig came by and lay down by my side

As I lay there in the gutter
thinking thoughts I could not utter
I thought I heard a passing lady say,
"You can tell a man who boozes
by the company he chooses..."
And with that, the pig got up and walked away

HOLA4421
8 hours ago, Bland Unsight said:

Anyone want to take a guess at the name of one of the previous posters who got a vote of confidence from Toast...

Rushroad was pushing the idea that prices were cheap, with a somewhat interesting argument. He was being provocative, but I wanted to see that argument torn apart, rather than the poster hounded out.

I have seen no evidence that wotsthat is anything other than a straight-up advocate for HPC (not that that should be a requirement for posting on this site), whose experiences and frustrations I respect and want to hear about.

HOLA4422
15 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My missus and me are in France on holiday this week.  We've viewed a house with an agent we met last time we stayed there.

It's a stunning place so we've put in a low offer 30% off and the agent is hopeful they will accept, the heated infinity pool was the clincher.

For the same money in Northampton I could buy this for cash.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68644466.html

( A house that should in reality be worth £80K ).

We've had enough of the UK now for many of the reasons people are posting here and are ready for the off, we do not want our children brought up in Northampton, or anywhere else in the UK for that matter.

We should find out tomorrow hopefully.  If it goes ahead I'll work my notice till Christmas and be off.  We don't need to work now, so why bother.

I'd move back of course, the day after a republic is declared and the 99% have an actual constitution.  I wont hold my breath.

I know you haven't asked for advice and it may seem obvious but make sure you absolutely MASTER the language. Everyone says they'll do that but I reckon only about 30% of brits really  try and fewer succeed. I've seen too many expats who move in and their top priority is to get a sat dish fixed to wall so they can watch British TV all day. They end up alone and isolated, resentment builds etc etc. The other big mistake on similar lines is being part of an ex-pat community. Any fallings out and everyone is now forced to live together and again find themselves completely isolated.

It all comes down to getting that language under your belt and the freedom that brings. I only raise it because of how spectacular piss poor we often seem to be at it :rolleyes:

Other than that best of luck, it's a beautiful country

HOLA4423
15 minutes ago, afly said:

I know you haven't asked for advice and it may seem obvious but make sure you absolutely MASTER the language. Everyone says they'll do that but I reckon only about 30% of brits really  try and fewer succeed. I've seen too many expats who move in and their top priority is to get a sat dish fixed to wall so they can watch British TV all day. They end up alone and isolated, resentment builds etc etc. The other big mistake on similar lines is being part of an ex-pat community. Any fallings out and everyone is now forced to live together and again find themselves completely isolated.

It all comes down to getting that language under your belt and the freedom that brings. I only raise it because of how spectacular piss poor we often seem to be at it :rolleyes:

Other than that best of luck, it's a beautiful country

Oh I whole heartedly agree. it's not an issue tho.

HOLA4424
17 hours ago, wotsthat said:

You work hard and get £20k ahead of the next man only to see government policy hand him £20k in order to balance things out and help him to survive, ie housing benefit, family credits and handouts, so whats the point?

A friend of mine was complaining that she will lose her tax credits now the youngest child turns 19.  She is now nearly 60 and has been working as part-time cleaner to make the most of tax credits.

She is about to lose £120/wk.~ £5k per year.

My wife works half-time and that is her annual wage!

HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, VeryMeanReversion said:

A friend of mine was complaining that she will lose her tax credits now the youngest child turns 19.  She is now nearly 60 and has been working as part-time cleaner to make the most of tax credits.

She is about to lose £120/wk.~ £5k per year.

My wife works half-time and that is her annual wage!

Any system that makes people better off because they have children is wrong if you believe that we don't need the population to increase.