House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjhodgson

Facebook Account Insecurity

My Facebook account has been deactivated for some months. I don't use it as it annoys me. Today at the time I was driving home, I get 2 emails. The first, "welcome back to Facebook", the second "Did you login in from somewhere new?"

Logon to Facebook and it says that the login was on Android from somewhere in Russia.

Now in the 6 months or so that the account has been deactivated, the 2 machines that I have previously logged in from have been replaced with new ones (1 at work,1 at home). Neither of these I have logged into to the site.

The app is disabled on my phone, as I won't allow it to run (on a previous phone I caught it trying to stealing contact data without permission). It has never been used to login.

The password is pretty secure, with as many numbers as letters and it was the same as the last time I logged in. I have loads of privacy and Ad blockers on my machines as I don't like the Ad data being shared.

So, how did they get in to my account?

Hi

I did, the links in the emails checkout OK too.

Oddly Facebook is one of very accounts that I use my real email address in. All the other accounts I log into have different email addresses under my domain name, so I can track who is leaking my address.

Facebook is from before I started doing that. I wonder if this is linked to the 17million email address and passwords that have got into the wild this week.

8 minutes ago, mjhodgson said:

Oddly Facebook is one of very accounts that I use my real email address in. All the other accounts I log into have different email addresses under my domain name, so I can track who is leaking my address.

And I thought I was starting to think I the only paranoid person on here :D

Facecloth is only secure if you're genuine.........

Nah, not paranoid......I work in IT!

:-)

It's odd looking at other people's browser sessions on their PC's at work. Sites full of adverts for stuff they have searched for at home and logged into Facebook on both.

I have one of these setup too:

https://pi-hole.net/

Quite a nice network wide anti ad and privacy tool for all devices on a network.

In the early years of the interweb I used to follow a searchlores site called "Fravia's archive pages of reverse engineering"  (google it) Unfortunately the author has long since passd away but the ideas are still interesting.

I came to the conclusion that privacy is only partially possible online if you lie about everything.

So I do :D

Back to my panic room with all the tinned food and the tinfoil hat....................