House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_duke_of_hazzard

Deposit required to make an offer

We just put an offer in on a house to rent.

Got an email back saying we had to make a 400 quid deposit to make an offer, refundable if the offer is rejected.

At the same time they want our job titles and annual salaries.

Is this standard/normal?

12 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Got an email back saying we had to make a 400 quid deposit to make an offer, refundable if the offer is rejected.

Is this standard/normal?

If it's an agent yes it is, they did that to me and I told them to bu$$er off and if they didn't submit my offer to the owner I'd go round and tell her, They also asked for two months deposit and I said no, one month is all you're getting.

I'm posting from there now :D

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

If it's an agent yes it is, they did that to me and I told them to bu$$er off and if they didn't submit my offer to the owner I'd go round and tell her, They also asked for two months deposit and I said no, one month is all you're getting.

I'm posting from there now :D

Good result, Option5! B) Agents seem to forget that tenants are customers too.

If I end up renting privately again via an agent then I'm going to refuse to pay any fees. And will pay no more than one month's deposit. If I lose out on the property then so be it.

On 01/09/2017 at 6:53 PM, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Is this standard/normal?

Why should prospective tenants be forced to reveal their job titles? Sounds pretty dodgy, bordering on illegal to me. Doesn't surprise me that a letting agent in the UK would think they could ask such questions. I can almost guarantee they haven't bothered to check if it may be illegal to demand this information from prospective tenants. Certainly to make it a requirement to be a tenant.

Edited by spacedin

8 minutes ago, spacedin said:

Why should prospective tenants be forced to reveal their job titles? Sounds pretty dodgy, bordering on illegal to me. Doesn't surprise me that a letting agent in the UK would think they could ask such questions. I can almost guarantee they haven't bothered to check if it may be illegal to demand this information from prospective tenants. Certainly to make it a requirement to be a tenant.

It could be one of Fungus's properties and they're making sure you're not a plumber :ph34r: