House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Feeding hedgehogs and getting rid of slugs at the same time!

Saw this tip recently - very clever,  I thought!  

If you're plagued with slugs and also have a visiting hedgehog or two, leave a big cabbage leaf out overnight. 

Cabbage leaf is soon covered with slugs gobbling it up.  Along comes hedgehog to find tasty meal of slugs dished up on a cabbage leaf plate!  

10 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

If you're plagued with slugs and also have a visiting hedgehog or two, leave a big cabbage leaf out overnight. 

Cabbage leaf is soon covered with slugs gobbling it up.  Along comes hedgehog to find tasty meal of slugs dished up on a cabbage leaf plate!  

beer is better(not lager for some reason though)

dig a couple of small holes,and put small pots in them sensitive areas(like veggie patches) and half  fill with stale or half drunk  beer- why you would waste beer in the first place is still open to question,but if you happen to have a half drunk can or a bit of old homebrew to spare,this is putting it to good use.

the slugs will magically gravitate toward the pots,fall in and get hopelessly drunk,and have a quite humane end,leaving your greens in tip top condition!

if you happen to have a hedgehog doing the rounds that's nice,but worth remembering they usually infested with fleas,not nice for your pets if they come into close proximity.

18 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

You saw the tip, but have you seen the evidence?

I used to over-winter hedgehogs. Come October/November I'd be putting out food to fatten up the little hedgehogs before the really cold nights (so that I would not need to overwinter them - it's bloody hard work). Used to use my own weight-activated feeding stations so as to target only those that needed fattening. Obviously mice would similarly have access (as light) so I set up webcams to check I wasn't feeding vermin.

During this time I saw a LOT of slugs sniffing around the cat biscuits I'd left for the hogs. And I saw a number of hogs feeding. At the SAME time.

I have to tell you that the hogs I saw had ZERO interest in the slugs I saw.

My suspicion is they might like little slugs, but they sure don't like big 'uns. Beetles. That's their thing. I think they like a little crunch to their food.

Still, even though I'm personally unconvinced wrt the hog-slug connection, I'd encourage people to help out hogs in the colder months. They are part of our ecosystem and we ignore them at our peril.

And if you really want o help them, leave your gardens a little wild. There: being lazy has an upside. What more excuse do you need? Oh, and ffs, steer clear of those god awful plastic lawns.

Can only say that the person who posted this tip finds that it works well - she finds hedgehog poo near the cabbage leaf that has slug holes in it, and no slugs. 

Haven't tried it myself, since haven't seen any hedgehogs since getting new fences but we're going to make some little hedgehog doors.  Garden is otherwise v hedgehog friendly. 

My sister in law regularly overwinters small hedgehogs. 4 this year, and last news was that they'd quadrupled their weight. 

On 30/08/2017 at 7:33 AM, oracle said:

beer is better(not lager for some reason though)

dig a couple of small holes,and put small pots in them sensitive areas(like veggie patches) and half  fill with stale or half drunk  beer- why you would waste beer in the first place is still open to question,but if you happen to have a half drunk can or a bit of old homebrew to spare,this is putting it to good use.

My mum tried the beer trick once. It didn't work, her cat came along and drank it.

5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

My mum tried the beer trick once. It didn't work, her cat came along and drank it.

Shouldn't have used Tiger beer

Slugs will not pick the cabbage leaf picked for the purpose of feeding them....they will pick the fresh leaf still growing, devour that then when all else has gone travel to the healthy looking nasturtium leaves plan B......when growing stuff 20% is forfeited to pests and problems.....80% for yourself and have done very well....hedgehogs eat slugs, some not nice badgers eat hedgehogs......who eats badgers?;)

17 hours ago, winkie said:

Slugs will not pick the cabbage leaf picked for the purpose of feeding them....they will pick the fresh leaf still growing, devour that then when all else has gone travel to the healthy looking nasturtium leaves plan B......when growing stuff 20% is forfeited to pests and problems.....80% for yourself and have done very well....hedgehogs eat slugs, some not nice badgers eat hedgehogs......who eats badgers?;)

I think they might go for a cabbage leaf here, we don't have any growing ones, and they stripped just about everything else they find tasty while we were away - petunias and verbena. I don't have any nasturtiums - last time I tried those the blackfly descended in their millions.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

I think they might go for a cabbage leaf here, we don't have any growing ones, and they stripped just about everything else they find tasty while we were away - petunias and verbena. I don't have any nasturtiums - last time I tried those the blackfly descended in their millions.  

I've had some nasturtiums the last couple of years with no problem but they've been heavily attacked by blackfly this year. There's also more slug and snail damage on other plants than the last couple of years (before I was surprised how little the hostas got eaten). Could be to do with the mild winter. I've seen some ants around the nasturtiums too so I suspect that they might be farming the blackfly.