House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Powered skateboard on packed promenade

Walking on sea front, middled aged chap doing 30/40mph on powered skateboard 

No hope of stopping if child ran in front of them

What can you do unless you see them in advance and knock them off?

If it were me I'd report it to the filth. It's their job to enforce the law and they can't act without information.

Recent cycle death has lead to calls for a new charge of death by dangerous cycling.

I suggest you get in quick and make a name for yourself by proposing "death by dangerous skateboarding".

Why "driving" can't be interpreted to encompass any mode of transport is quite beyond me.

17 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Walking on sea front, middled aged chap doing 30/40mph on powered skateboard 

No hope of stopping if child ran in front of them

What can you do unless you see them in advance and knock them off?

I don't think this is legal.

I'm sure there are clauses in the highway code that powered vehicles,with the exception of mobility scooters are forbidden on pedestrian areas+pathways unless the engine is off/being physically manouvred by the driver(ie broken down moped etc).

Just now, oracle said:

I'm sure there are clauses in the highway code that powered vehicles,with the exception of mobility scooters are forbidden on pedestrian areas+pathways unless the engine is off/being physically manouvred by the driver(ie broken down moped etc).

I believe you're right, but he whizzed past so quickly I couldnt take a photo, nor call the police. 

4 minutes ago, oracle said:

It is illegal, the exception is for electrically boosted pushbikes which by definition must be able to be pedalled. These probably fall foul of the laws that ban "hoverboards" and Segways

12 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I believe you're right, but he whizzed past so quickly I couldnt take a photo, nor call the police. 

Still worth reporting after the event. If he's done it once very likely he'll do it again. If multiple people report dangerous behaviour it's more likely the police will take an interest.

Assuming it's a normal production model, you're probably seriously overestimating the speed. Little, low down things "look" much faster than they really are. In a go kart it feels like you're bombing round at 50mph, but turns out you were only doing 5mph. You'll be lucky if you can get up to 20mph on a powered skateboard, and more likely 15mph.

Even if it was only 15-20mph I think the OP's point still stands...  an adult male hitting someone at that speed, child or adult, could still cause all manner of serious injuries.  Wasn't the killer cyclist only doing 20mph?

5 minutes ago, frankief said:

That's what I think when I see 30 year old skateboarders anyway.

^^^ This.

Would have thought there was a local byelaw about powered vehicles on pedestrian walkways.

Doesn't solve the mad cyclist with only half a brake syndrome though.

On 31/08/2017 at 10:13 AM, Steppenpig said:

Assuming it's a normal production model, you're probably seriously overestimating the speed. Little, low down things "look" much faster than they really are. In a go kart it feels like you're bombing round at 50mph, but turns out you were only doing 5mph. You'll be lucky if you can get up to 20mph on a powered skateboard, and more likely 15mph.

Whatever speed he was travelling, it was so much faster than was safe there were audible gasps from everyone he passed.