House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Top Independent Schools Cheating in Exams

So it isn't just about more resources, it looks like some Exam cheating has been going on.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/top-uk-schools-winchester-charterhouse-join-eton-exam-cheating-scandal-claims-1636862

Also if they don't think this isn't going on in Universities too, then they are in cloud cookoo land - though the issue maybe worse in collegiate Universities where there is more internal rivalry.  I know with about 70% certainty that Law Students from one College in a Russell Group University received a sneak preview back in my day, so I think this has been going on for years.

It is interesting, though.  I mean -- why would the teacher care how successful his pupils were?  Or, rather, they might like to have the feedback that they're a great teacher, but if you know you've let them all cheat, then you've only got evidence that you're a poor teacher.

I can only think that there was a broad understanding at institutional level that cheating was okay as it meant the institution looked better.  This might not be anything more than 'don't look don't tell', but it would still be something to sort out.

I'd say that any institution (public or state, school or university) where there is significant evidence of any department of the institution helping re. cheating should have at the least a random check of 5-10% of students across all subjects, and, if that highlighted additional discrepancies, make every pupil resit exams and have a check on whether they'd be capable of doing their coursework themselves*.  That sort of approach would be a real penalty to such institutions, and would lead to them introducing hard measures to discourage this sort of thing, rather than a no-pain (for the institution) 'oh, we just fired that teacher'.

[* IMO coursework has been the big factor that no-one talks about.  In the state sector there is little reason for any teacher to help a student too much, but in the private sector it will be exactly the opposite.]

41 minutes ago, dgul said:

It is interesting, though.  I mean -- why would the teacher care how successful his pupils were?  Or, rather, they might like to have the feedback that they're a great teacher, but if you know you've let them all cheat, then you've only got evidence that you're a poor teacher.

I can only think that there was a broad understanding at institutional level that cheating was okay as it meant the institution looked better.  This might not be anything more than 'don't look don't tell', but it would still be something to sort out.

I'd say that any institution (public or state, school or university) where there is significant evidence of any department of the institution helping re. cheating should have at the least a random check of 5-10% of students across all subjects, and, if that highlighted additional discrepancies, make every pupil resit exams and have a check on whether they'd be capable of doing their coursework themselves*.  That sort of approach would be a real penalty to such institutions, and would lead to them introducing hard measures to discourage this sort of thing, rather than a no-pain (for the institution) 'oh, we just fired that teacher'.

[* IMO coursework has been the big factor that no-one talks about.  In the state sector there is little reason for any teacher to help a student too much, but in the private sector it will be exactly the opposite.]

You clearly know little about how the state sector has been corrupted by performance tables.  In addition to this, teachers are vulnerable in many ways and risk becoming a 'failing teacher' if they don't play along with the management ethos, whatever it happens to be that month.  Please don't have any illusions about the state sector, it is not a happy place and is a dysfunctional as the private sector.

I went to a Russell group university (admittedly 20 years ago).  Did not see a sign of cheating from the staff, quite the opposite in fact, had a friend that got pulled up for plagiarism after putting about 4 words in the same sequence as they were in a book on the subject.

Ages ago now, over 20 years, but a daughter's rather older boyfriend at a London uni hadn't done his 3rd Year dissertation - he was doing law - and no longer had time to do it. This was a while  before widely available internet but he found someone willing to do it for him - for a fee that kept going up.  She was a lecturer at a different London uni. 

I only heard about it because daughter wanted to cash in all her post office savings to help him pay!  

His parents paid in the end - they were/are a dodgy family anyway.  I was naive enough to be very shocked at the time, and still regret not telling anyone - daughter had begged me not to. 

The boyfriend went on to qualify and some years later was banged up for fraud and money laundering. 

I was so relieved when that relationship ended not long after the dissertation business, i can't tell you.