House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 star films you've loved or hated

I'm about 80% through all the film's empire magazine gave 5 stars too. There's a lot that have been classics in my eyes but a few stinkers.

Just watched Stagecoach (great film) and Sweet Smell of Success. Tried twice but gave up after 25mins... didn't care one jot for the characters or the plot.

I've tried Federico Fellini's 8 1/2 several times... I just don't think I'm getting it.

Anyone else loved or hated a classic?

4 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

I was left a bit cold by There Will Be Blood.

I find that nerds don't like the vast, overwhelming majority of TV shows and movies.

Where did the nerd remark come from? You think I am? Why?

28 minutes ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Where did the nerd remark come from? You think I am? Why?

Oh sorry, I wasn't directing that remark at you, it's just that I had two close calls with two stereotypical nerds in RL discussing films and entertainment, but Lord Jesus there's a difference between finding an art house film too earnest and a popular blockbuster too overblown, and not gleaning any kind of enjoyment out of anything and picking at problems that are not there...

7 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

Oh sorry, I wasn't directing that remark at you, it's just that I had two close calls with two stereotypical nerds in RL discussing films and entertainment, but Lord Jesus there's a difference between finding an art house film too earnest and a popular blockbuster too overblown, and not gleaning any kind of enjoyment out of anything and picking at problems that are not there...

Oh ok. :) What's RL?

Mainstream 5* films I love include toy story x 3, alien(s), indiana Jones, most spielberg, most scorcese, all tarrantino, all coen brothers. 

Hitchcock rocks... I've seen the back catalogue.

1 hour ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Oh ok. :) What's RL?

Real Life - I had two encounters with Neckbeard style nerds; no proper insight or good opinion at all. 

Also I really liked all the Indian Jones films (Raiders is completely untouchable, Crusades is almost a remake albeit a highly entertaining one, while Doom and Crystal are more problematic but have their entertaining  moments as well).

Inception - damned if it makes any sense to me at all. 

The Revenant - OK, but no one's ever going to watch that film twice.

Saving Private Ryan - Fantastic beach scene. Rest of the film is dull.

Whose 5*s? RotTs, Metacritic? Imdb? The telegraph?

The guardian gave The Man Who Fell to Earth five outta five. I'm thinking it's a lefty-liberal androgyny PC vote.

total drivel

11 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Whose 5*s? RotTs, Metacritic? Imdb? The telegraph?

The guardian gave The Man Who Fell to Earth five outta five. I'm thinking it's a lefty-liberal androgyny PC vote.

total drivel

I guess any film consistently rated very high buy a trustworthy source. I go by a mix of Empire and Sight & Sound. The former are a bit mainstream for me (their latest movie poll seemed full of superheroes!). The latter are a bit too arty f@rty. So I mix and match.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I think the complete opposite... Many classics :)

I agree with you on the classics bit.....12 Angry Men, Rebecca, Dead of Night and Halloween, all great films. Some of the modern films look like they have been selected by the Brent Council Diversification Committee eg. Philomena and Still Alice. They may be worthy politically correct offerings that were reasonably watchable but classics that will stand the test of time....nope.

Should say that something like Still Alice and Philomena (both of which I saw on the big screen) would be better than some of the rubbish we are being served up just now. Fancy a trip to the cinema and it's Emoji, Despicable Me 3 or Nut Job 2. I assume the entire cinema audience are cartoon loving Simon Cowells'.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Should say that something like Still Alice and Philomena (both of which I saw on the big screen) would be better than some of the rubbish we are being served up just now. Fancy a trip to the cinema and it's Emoji, Despicable Me 3 or Nut Job 2. I assume the entire cinema audience are cartoon loving Simon Cowells'.

Its' still school holidays. Won't be anything for adults until they go back and the pre-Oscar/Christmas season starts. 

I generally find that IMDBs ratings more or less tally with how good a movie is for me, its especially useful for filtering out complete turkeys (less than a 5 score generally).

On 8/29/2017 at 9:57 AM, crashmonitor said:

Just looked at the list (there are 7 pages). Can't say any of the films would be a favourite. Films that might be watchable for everybody, but not hit a high note for anybody.

https://letterboxd.com/matt_thomas10/list/empire-magazine-five-star-rated-films/

While I loved the Borat features on "Da Ali G Show", I couldn't take the movie at all. I actually walked out of the cinema. If you play any 10 minutes of it at random, it's probably hilarious, but it was just too much in one go and after a while it starts coming over as truly nasty, vindictive stuff.

On 28 August 2017 at 9:21 PM, Orsino said:

Inception - damned if it makes any sense to me at all.

Definitely worth a re-watch, likely to make more sense the second time round :-)

Worst case, the weird music that plays when they are being summoned from their dreams will wake you up in the middle of the night

District 9.

Coherence.

Sicario.

All future classics.

Edit to add:

The Guest.  By design not a classic, but both a great homage to John Carpenter and James Cameron and a very solid B-movie in its own right.

Maybe I should've called the thread "supposed 5 star films that really divide opinions".

I love Blair Witch Project!

I hate Wizard of Oz

I also hate Lord of The Rings. I watched in cinema on a second date... Fell asleep :):)

Ps she still married me :)