House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fancypants

Bbc Website

Added my (rather short) comment:

What your report suggests to me is simple: houses are severely overvalued. If FTBs struggle to get on the 'property ladder', what is holding the whole edifice up? House prices need to come down.

I wonder whether they'll publish it. The article was fairly lacking in VI spin, I thought. Mostly bare facts, unlike the truly dreadful piece on BBC News this morning.

There's only so much bias reporting they can do.

The truth slowly leaks out at some point.

I've added my comment - whether they print them is another matter

I sent:

I am so sad about the news about first time buyers being priced out of the market. It cannot be good for the country that our young people have to wait for so long to put down roots, and probably put off having families as a result. I trust that you will now stop reporting house price rises as good news and also give publicity to the news of house prices falling (see the recent Halifax figures showing that large areas of the country did experience falling prices in 2005.)

It's all gonna go T1Ts up. The Crash is on the horizon now!!! Ha ha ha. Crash! Crash! Crash!

Like your avatar. That album has two tracks highly relevant to HPC: "Time" and "Money".

Edited by Smell the Fear

All mega-bearish so far, apart from this deluded sucker:

"Currently myself and two other friends are looking to purchase a property. But trying to find a lender to support three males, is just as hard. We have finally been offered a mortgage of £143,000 between three. With the idea of doing the place up and selling it in three years and hopefully making an amount to use as a deposit on our own properties. By that time we will all be 30."

Euthanasia would be a Godsend for this idiot.

Here's mine that they added:

When will people realise that we are in the biggest worldwide housing bubble ever, and that bubble has started to burst. There is no 'soft landing', just a brutal equlibrium of the economy. Everyone forgets that booms happen in cycles - and this is the biggest one in history. I dread to think of the social consequences: families breaking up, suicides, high unemployment etc. The last Halifax report I read (Jan 2006) showed an actual decrease in houseprices but it will never get reported that way as there is too much vested interest. Unless you have cashed in, no one is really rich. Its all virtual money that will go the same way as the dot com boom.

Frederick Blek, York

Like your avatar. That album has two tracks highly relevant to HPC: "Time" and "Money".

yours is cool also - "your time is gonna come" "dazed and confused"

actually a lot of those songs have tenuous links of a kind! :mellow:

yours is cool also - "your time is gonna come" "dazed and confused"

actually a lot of those songs have tenuous links of a kind! :mellow:

The name "Led Zeppelin" comes from what the band were told by a manager when they first formed. He thought they would go down like a lead balloon (hence Led Zeppelin). I'm hoping the property market goes down like a lead balloon!

Well, judging by the huge number of inane comments they have posted, I hope crash-fans that sent something get theirs posted too.

Why is everyone in this country obsessed with houses and house prices? On the continent, more than half of adults rent their properties and are happy to do so, and enjoy a good life style.

I have recently sold a house that I owned for nearly 20 years. It took 3 years to sell it. It was perfectly good enough for me when I bought it and was in a far better condition when I put it on the market. The problem with most first time buyers in my opinion is that they are just too fussy, and after watching all of these make over programs on TV think they are going to get Buckingham Palace for less than £100,000. All they seem to want is the ones they can't afford.

Michael Johns, Swindon

Blockbusters: What 'C' is he?

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Another twit

"The main problem is that first time buyers want too much. My husband and I were first time buyers a year ago and we had to face the fact that we couldn't start off in the perfect house. First time buyers need to be reasonable and realise you cannot have everything in your first house."

:huh:

A large number are commenting on the Tax benefits received by Buy to Let investors.

Imagine if there was a form of mass protest or lobbying by First Time Buyers to remove the unfair advantage that investors have over them.

Could we arrange some sort of pettition and get the press involved?

A good starting point would be Student Unions and the like to raise awareness.

Hrm, the VI's realise they've gotta prop up the lower end of they pyramid or it'll all come crash down before they can cash out.

Expect to see lots of bull$hit on the Beeb about the benefits of shared ownership.

Edited by BuyingBear

Blimey! The comments that have been posted are 90% spot on - there are more bears there than at a picnic down in the woods! :):)

If a political party only had the nous to tap into the anger that's around.....

Blimey! The comments that have been posted are 90% spot on - there are more bears there than at a picnic down in the woods! :):)

If a political party only had the nous to tap into the anger that's around.....

The only problem is, whose anger do you address. The home owners that are terrified since they are MEWed to the eye teeth, or the non homeowners who can't buy in the first place?

I am going to make some broad demographic punts:

* People that really can't buy tend to we on wages and salaries. Definitely angry, but the majority would be labour anyway if they bother to vote at all and probably as since time asking "what is the alternative" (we remember John Major, Maggie Thatcher et. al.) The best you would achieve is a swing to the lib dems.

* STRs would be pramatists, probably as a demographic leaning slightly to the torys, but probably also not terribly angry and prepared to wait.

* New middle class homeowner are classic swingers living in classically swinging localities. They can change government. They are sh*tting themselves.

GB is doing what I would do if I were in his position and had that kind of "having government is critical because it means we have the power to do good things, so its important that we maintain government even if ... " mentality. I would do anything and everything to shore up the value of houses at least till the next election. Share Ownership, Sharebuy, interest rate manipulations.

In the process he is also assuring the patronage of the media who are also up to their eye teeth in this situation.

Wicked, my post is 2nd from top on the recommended threads!

"I'm 25, live with my parents, have a £40k deposit, yet me and my girl friend can't afford to buy a property together for under 4x our joint income!

If we did get a larger mortgage, what happens when we have kids?

I wish the media would just let prices come down, rather than constantly talk the housing market up!"

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jsp...1739paginator

It's a shame the top thread doesn't highlight the renting is cheaper argument:

"It just seems wrong that I have to pay someone else's mortgage via a rent bill that consumes a third of my take-home salary, whilst at the same time not earning enough for a bank to let me pay a bit less to actually own a similar property..."

Edited by Jason

Christmas has come early, had my rant yesterday and had a go at the BBC, and it’s published today.

Most amazing thing, I even added a line that thanks to the BBC with headlines like “good news house up again” etc….they are not helping the next generation.

Think I’ll have to break out the wine bottle early………… :o:o