House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eric pebble

I am completely speechless

Watched this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p057mm7b

Takes my breath away.  Now I think that David Icke may have something about reptiles...

EDIT:   OMG!!!!!!    WTF??!???!!!!!!

This is EVEN WORSE!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p057v67s

I am struggling for breath

Edited by eric pebble
adding a bit

Well, er....  No!!  These types of "people" are just totally being themselves on camera!!  I think that - for once -- the BBC are not selling the MSM pro-hpi agenda -- and revealing how awful, awful, AWFUL these people are!!   Just makes one very, very angry and depressed about what has been going on in this God-forsaken country for SO many years...

We really have ruined this nation.  RUINED it.  We have let this all happen RIGHT under our noses --- and NOTHING is done about it.

SO SO depressing.

29 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

Well, er....  No!!  These types of "people" are just totally being themselves on camera!!  I think that - for once -- the BBC are not selling the MSM pro-hpi agenda -- and revealing how awful, awful, AWFUL these people are!!   Just makes one very, very angry and depressed about what has been going on in this God-forsaken country for SO many years...

We really have ruined this nation.  RUINED it.  We have let this all happen RIGHT under our noses --- and NOTHING is done about it.

SO SO depressing.

I agree. It portrays them in a very poor light. Not aspirational in the slightest.

1 hour ago, eric pebble said:

SO SO depressing.

Sadistic, smug, narcissistic and frankly vile...in a nutshell. With subtle hints of sociopathic.

4 hours ago, Princekie said:

Sadistic, smug, narcissistic and frankly vile...in a nutshell. With subtle hints of sociopathic.

Can anyone tell me ---- WHAT is the new tax situation - [s.24 etc.] going to mean to the people in the above videos?   Are they going to be affected??

2 minutes ago, eric pebble said:

Can anyone tell me ---- WHAT is the new tax situation - [s.24 etc.] going to mean to the people in the above videos?   Are they going to be affected??

Id guess they are io btlers, so they are fckked, royally.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Id guess they are io btlers, so they are fckked, royally.

They just seem to think it's all so easy!!??!!!!  They really strike me as clueless etc.  -- & that's being v kind...;)

BTW PEOPLE:  The whole episode HERE:

Watch & enjoy!!!:P

These people really are the parasites of society. And you know, I don't really mean that as an abusive term. I mean in the way that their minds and objectives work. Just like a parasite, they blindly feed on a host in order to thrive giving little thought to what may happen in the future. The macroeconomic environment is a million miles away from them, as long as they can leech off their host for as long as possible.

In that regard, I would bet that the average BTL scumlord has a nice spread of undesirable properties that were bought for bottom dollar to extract maximum yield. And it's all unraveling nicely right now, as prices and demand slide as scumlords attempt to unload their undesirable shitboxes. Woe betide the scumlords who have borrowed to the max....I can see interesting times ahead. Add to this the boomer die-off and global economic maladies and we have the perfect storm. I can't see Generation Xers or the Millenials (aka the "poorest generation ever") to rescue the situation. 

I really do thank the man above that I wasn't stupid/desperate/blind enough to buy a property in the last 10 years. And the temptation to get into debt and bind myself to this credit bubble was there, trust me!

When originally aired this programme hardly caused a ripple in the MSM. At the time I wondered why, then it dawned on me, though many journalists are tenants their LLs aren't as bad so they just thank their lucky stars and move on hoping never to suffer one. In the same way people rationalise risky behaviour, believing it'll happen to someone else not me. This is like Stockholm syndrome. 

The Government could stop this one fell swoop (is that the expression?) by giving local authorities the funding to build new rented houses and flats for their citizens. It's desperately needed in North Kensington.

Just think: no more parasitic landlords whose bulk of income comes from housing benefit, no more '4 people to a room in a grotty HMO' and housing related fraud would drop.

Thatcher is to blame for the Slumlords. A portfolio of £10m+ until you try and sell it. You cant hate the players you have to hate the torys.

The second fella is just a bellend who I hope loses the lot. What is lavish? A shit kitchen,  A holiday to the west coast, a landrover on tick, a chinese take away and a bit of crazy golf. I would be very surprised he takes 10K to 20K  'profit' after 7 years. If this guys your landlord... knock him ;)

11 hours ago, Princekie said:

These people really are the parasites of society. And you know, I don't really mean that as an abusive term. I mean in the way that their minds and objectives work. Just like a parasite, they blindly feed on a host in order to thrive giving little thought to what may happen in the future. The macroeconomic environment is a million miles away from them, as long as they can leech off their host for as long as possible.

In that regard, I would bet that the average BTL scumlord has a nice spread of undesirable properties that were bought for bottom dollar to extract maximum yield.  

Parasites can have their uses. The problem is when society allows a certain type of parasite to flourish with very little benefit coming back.

There is a tough slumlord family in this area. Not the kind of people you'd ever want to mess with. They take tenants on trust, no deposit. New tenants get told: 'If the rent is paid on time and the police aren't involved, you'll only see me when you want to see me.'

The properties are poorly maintained, probably illegal in some ways but the tenants accept it or move. Some of the long term tenants are people that would have problems getting housing elsewhere, some have been evicted from social housing. They have no choice but to behave, otherwise they get a visit from 'The Management'. Slumlords living well because of HB? Yes. Parasites? Yes. Of some benefit to society? Yes. 

I know a hundred people like this from My south Cambs days. They have a warped sense of what "class" is.

They just cannot see themselves as over indulgent  insenstive fat scum that they are. Maybe some of the tenants do tell lies when it comes to rent day, I have no doubt about that, but I wonder if they have considered for just 1 second their difficulties and how desperate some of them could be, Just maybe they are surviving the best way they can. I hate violence for example, but I was also in HM Forces and not being able to use your fists is just a non starter, you do what you need to do.

I have not watched any of these programs about LL's, the only crumb of comfort I can get from this  is just maybe the BBC are putting these out so come the day when they are in the gutter nobody will shed a tear for these types.

I look at the foul woman and I walk away feeling blessed that I am with someone who has so much empathy and kindness, and the fact she does not resemble a pig also helps.

21 hours ago, Sawitcoming said:

I agree. It portrays them in a very poor light. Not aspirational in the slightest.

Everything is down to the editing, they have a 1 hour show which covers 3 different properties, so 3 landlords and 3 sets of tennants = 6 stories over 60 minutes.
For that 10 minutes of footage they probably recorded 7 hours following the typical reality TV formula.

Given the generally low standards of TV these days, I don't think this had too much of an obvious agenda, just gently pushing the idea that landlords should be a bit more professional and actually manage and maintain the properties they own.

I'm sure the landlords didnt sign up thinking they would be portrayed as a bunch of selfish parasites, but more as well intentioned saviours of the homeless. Also I suspect they were allowed to plan a lot of things in advance e.g. the landord who managed to fix all the damp issues and then design, buy and fit a new kitchen and bathroom all within 7 days.

It's strange how many of these TV programs all come down to judgement:

Big Brother - judging housemates
Blind Date - judging potential partners
The Apprentice - judging employees
Pop Idol/X factor - Judging musicians/entertainers

Where does this never-ending need to judge others come from I wonder?

judging a person does not define who they are, it defines who you are.

35 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

Agreed. If it were Ros from 118 watching this she would judge them in a different light. It is human nature to judge and there are really obvious uses for that behaviour in our survival. 

It does not alter the fact that these clips portray these people to me in a poor light. It does appear to me to be edited to include those behaviours that non-landlords would see in a poor light as you say. Lots of free time, deriding people for their excuses, not visiting properties in years etc. These people have million pound portfolios. To a HPCer that means leveraged to the nuts in all likelihood. To the layman that suggests millionaire.

BTL used to be portrayed as ordinary people trying to get ahead, being prudent and making sacrifices to build a secure financial future. Here it's odious greedy types exploiting people. In the light of all of the other pro HPC propaganda being seen in the last few months in the MSM, I tend to think this is a deliberate shift toward putting the blame and a good portion of the liability for all this overpriced housing onto the landlords.

In the landlords regrouping and on the offensive thread, the idea that in recent years BTL has been a trap for the equity-rich and greedy has been discussed. Wether it was overtly planned by someone, or a naturally occurring set of circumstances, it is still a great idea. It is not implausible that what we are seeing here, is in support of that outcome.

It may just be that there are so many horrible landlords, that the youngsters on the other side of the camera and editing kit cant help to reflect their experiences with landlords in their work. It may be a conscious decision because it makes more compelling TV watching tw@s being tw@s. This could sit alongside other programmes that show landlords in a good light and have no significance whatsoever in the wider political agenda. Who knows?

It does portray them in a way that the majority of people would find negative. As a HPCer, I welcome that. Especially from the Beeb.

Edited by Sawitcoming

38 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

Big Brother - judging housemates
Blind Date - judging potential partners
The Apprentice - judging employees
Pop Idol/X factor - Judging musicians/entertainers

Where does this never-ending need to judge others come from I wonder?

How could you forget naked attraction :blink:

18 hours ago, eric pebble said:

They just seem to think it's all so easy!!??!!!!  They really strike me as clueless etc.  -- & that's being v kind...;)

BTW PEOPLE:  The whole episode HERE:

Watch & enjoy!!!:P

Linda is getting evicted in 2 years.

The issues raised in her story are beyond what that father son pair of landlords are prepared to deal with. Maybe the son will leave the business if his conscious runs deep enough. They helped to that extent because they were on TV.

The programme makes a good argument for less landlords - particularly leveraged ones. Not sure if it's obvious enough with the trite and vacuous makeover endings.

2 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

It's strange how many of these TV programs all come down to judgement:

Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

Connected to that, I know some other religions forbid interest, and it is customary to pool family monies, maybe unofficially, to buy houses. Would S24 rules have more or less of an impact  on people doing this?

I've watched a couple of full episodes on youtube. Just a few thoughts which come to mind:

One young bloke said that he bought a house for 100k with a loan, and then remortgaged for 120k. (implying that the original purchase was made without a mortgage). He then said that this process had "made 20k". This shows that these people seem to not consider that they have a liability too. He might as well have just said that he borrowed 20k and therefore made 20k. They seem to think that having access to this cash is the same as making it.

The same bloke remarked that they only make a profit of 25 GBP a month on one of the houses, so mortgaged up to the eyeballs then. They are not making any money, the bank is. This profit figure didn't include maintenance. I thought the builder was going to suggest a new roof for the house. He later refurbed the house but said the tenant could stay with the same rent. He wasn't making any money on the house. What will he do when new taxes come in and rates go up? He doesn't stand a chance.

Following on from the previous point, if he is only making 25 quid a month on one of the houses, how can he afford the swish car? It's on tick presumably.

The houses themselves are in a dire state of repair. Tenants won't spend money on the houses and can't afford to anyway. They are reluctant to report problems because they fear being evicted. As a result, a problem that could cost a tenner to fix balloons to tens of thousands. You cant compare maintenance on an owner occupied house to a BTL.

The market price of rent is right up to the highest the market will bear. The tenants spend say 1000 quid a month on rent and have about 50 GBP a week for everything else. As has been remarked on this forum before, the tenant makes the money, not the house. It's worse than feudalism in terms of the percentage the landlord takes from you. You work for them lock stock and barrel.

I felt for the mid 30's something landlord who was working for his Dad. Similar age to me. When landlording ceases to be a viable option, what will he do? What can he put on his CV? Has he ever achieved anything in his life before of his own back? He has basically never worked in his life from what I can tell. I wonder how well adjusted he is socially and so on.

Last but not least, I wonder what will happen to the personal trainer gold digger? She couldn't hack living in the HMO for more than a few days. Don't want to be libelous so I won't speculate further.

1 hour ago, Uncle_Kenny said:

I felt for the mid 30's something landlord who was working for his Dad. Similar age to me. When landlording ceases to be a viable option, what will he do? What can he put on his CV? Has he ever achieved anything in his life before of his own back? He has basically never worked in his life from what I can tell. I wonder how well adjusted he is socially and so on.

Yes, he came away with some credit in my eyes, a bit of growing up for him to see how the other half live. It was interesting to note the surprise of the dad at the alarm going off in the early hours of the morning...that sort of sacrifice is needed to keep him in "work". These sorts of landlord have long since lost the concept of what it takes to earn a living. So saddening to to see a 66 year old lady working 3 crap jobs, until death I suspect, to write a cheque of £1000/month to that pair. And all the while they're visiting the local letting agents to demonstrate how ripped off they are when they could be renting it for £1200. Obviously their tenants are no better than scum who don't even care for their property (ignoring the fact they're terrified of being evicted so the landlord can move "young professionals" in to farm).

The guy who rented out HMOs was something else too, a staggering level of delusion to think that breaking up a home and living out of a room could ever be a "choice" for people. The yard area and the storage room immediately off the kitchen was a disgrace... he didn't even bat an eyelid at first. The HMO one bothered me the most actually, while I could see some very limited circumstances where I could possibly end up as a landlord (e.g. if I moved abroad temporarily), the idea of making money out of people living in single rooms of a house I owned...well I honestly wouldn't be able to sleep at night. That is the dirtiest of money for me and takes a special sort of person to collect it.

21 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Yes, he came away with some credit in my eyes, a bit of growing up for him to see how the other half live. It was interesting to note the surprise of the dad at the alarm going off in the early hours of the morning...that sort of sacrifice is needed to keep him in "work". These sorts of landlord have long since lost the concept of what it takes to earn a living. So saddening to to see a 66 year old lady working 3 crap jobs, until death I suspect, to write a cheque of £1000/month to that pair. And all the while they're visiting the local letting agents to demonstrate how ripped off they are when they could be renting it for £1200. Obviously their tenants are no better than scum who don't even care for their property (ignoring the fact they're terrified of being evicted so the landlord can move "young professionals" in to farm).

The money taken by the landlords is so high it even has to come before the heating is paid. They do not buy houses, they buy people's life's. Watching the father and son discuss what to do, the prospect of selling the house wasn't even mentioned. They can't conceive of selling houses, that is their whole life and that is all they know.

26 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

The guy who rented out HMOs was something else too, a staggering level of delusion to think that breaking up a home and living out of a room could ever be a "choice" for people. The yard area and the storage room immediately off the kitchen was a disgrace... he didn't even bat an eyelid at first. The HMO one bothered me the most actually, while I could see some very limited circumstances where I could possibly end up as a landlord (e.g. if I moved abroad temporarily), the idea of making money out of people living in single rooms of a house I owned...well I honestly wouldn't be able to sleep at night. That is the dirtiest of money for me and takes a special sort of person to collect it.

He reminded me of those deluded chefs on Ramsay's kitchen nightmares. Also the incredible concentration their "portfolios" have. Hundreds of tenants in a single town. They are really going to struggle to sell. The way he was thinking about the tenant had to balance the plate on his knee. Has it occurred to him that she might want to get married and have a kid? Or that she might want to retire one day? Talk about missing the wood for the trees. Some of his lines were quite telling, "might be a little bit of mould" when the whole room is clearly rotten. "It's a bit dark isn't it?" when it is totally pitch black. I also like how the narrator described his previous business as a multi million recruitment firm. Multi million what? He worked for minimum wage afterwards. I like the way his girlfriend was turning up her nose and bailed out after one night.

I have to stop thinking about it, it brings a tear to my eye.

I also realise how fortunate I have been to able to live at home for a big chunk of life, and be able to work and live abroad for a few years now.

I think that socially something needs to explode in this country. We need a bit of chaos. Anything is better than this.