House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washing machine woes

New washing machine, clothes starting to smell a bit like stale sweat. Happens on all the temperatures, with different laundry liquids. Not mould etc but have done white vinegar, sofa crystals etc.

Started to find small grey flecks on washing, today found 5mm chunk of grey rubber.

Door seal? Bearings? Would that cause the smell? Or cause poor washing of clothes and thus smell?

There's not much too the washing part of a washing macine that comes into contact with water, drum, heater, pump, a couple of soleoids and the detergent tray and pipework.

I'd check the drain hose isn't backing up and the pump impeller (as BB suggested), everything else would have cleared after a few washes.

The punp impeller bearing is usually sealed with neoprene so if that's damaged the gease will come out and 40degrees won't clear it out.

Strangely there isn't a filter.

Having now examined the grey rubber chunk, it almost feels too spongy to be door seal. Feels a bit like the sole of a running shoe.

Do you use liquitabs?

They leave a foul smelling gunky residue in the get your water out pipe after a while.

3 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Having now examined the grey rubber chunk, it almost feels too spongy to be door seal. Feels a bit like the sole of a running shoe.

Jus' linkin' 'zall ....

I'm wondering if this is just par for the course with new energy efficient washing machines... They use less water so clothes (gym wear etc) will need pre-treatment to get clean.

Found a laundry liquid called Halo online... Will give it a go.

1 hour ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

I'm wondering if this is just par for the course with new energy efficient washing machines... They use less water so clothes (gym wear etc) will need pre-treatment to get clean.

Found a laundry liquid called Halo online... Will give it a go.

What about the "5mm chunk of grey rubber"?

I use liquitabs and can't say I've noticed anything.  

I have a new washing machine and was pissed off to find that despite fancy functions like 'intelligent dosing' , which I don't want or need, it has no 'spin only' cycle, which I do want now and then for the few jumpers that need hand washing. Should have checked, of course, but I just assumed, since it was same make and roughly same price bracket as the old one. 

Unfortunately the EU has decreed that we don't need washing machines to operate at the high temperatures they used to. This of course means that things we used to wash at 90 degrees to get them clean are washed at 60 degrees in less water and stay dirty.

But of course industrial machines are exempt so, as I don't suppose many MEPs do their own laundry, it won't affect them.

You can buy industrial grade machines at normal(ish) sizes so if you have a futility room to hide it in it won't spoil the EA's photos  of the beautiful kitchen in your desirable pwopertee :D

1 hour ago, Mrs Bear said:

I have a new washing machine and was pissed off to find that despite fancy functions like 'intelligent dosing' , which I don't want or need, it has no 'spin only' cycle, which I do want now and then for .... [ blah, blah, blah, lame excuses, blah ]

;)

3 hours ago, dgul said:

It is new.  Speak to the place that sold it to you.

Engineer been out. Machine functioning correctly. So either: 1. all new machines cr@p; 2. this model not very good. 3. This specific machine has faulty component not detected so far.

I'll try the Halo Sports Wash and see how it goes.

The next test will be just some brand new towels on their own to see if they pick up the odour. If they do it means the smell is coming from the machine itself.

As for the grey rubber... Could have been in one of the kids pockets ... If I find another that becomes less likely.

Yes, all new machines are crap because 'energy efficiency'. Our dryer, for example, has a moisture sensor to shut it down early when the clothes are dry. Except the clothes usually aren't dry, so we end up putting it back on in timer mode and probably for longer than we previously would have.

And the washer has a high-speed spin to get water out to reduce drying time. As a consequence of this, it may explode. Which is much better than spending a few cents more on electricity.

On 26/08/2017 at 5:08 PM, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Strangely there isn't a filter.

There's always a filter.  However, in my latest washing machine the filter is on the hose just before the pump.  So you can clean it if you work out roughly where it is, turn the thing on its side, work out which of the hoses to disconnect, clean filter then reassemble.  I don't understand it -- it is clearly designed to be an engineer job, but it should be a user maintenance job.  I guess they've worked out that 80% of the population will just buy another of their machines instead of trying harder...  

Or I suppose it might be that they've worked out that with normal usage the filter will be full at exactly the point where the heater shorts, the main bearings wear and the door seal falls apart.