Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth

Stage Of Grief In The Vi Industry

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

I personally think that whatever the VIs are saying publically privately they know the score and we have actually reached Bargaining.

The defining moment in 2. Anger was when Kirsty did that morning tele programme just after ... I think it was Bernard, saying how 'very very cross' she was about sites like this.

Where do other people reckon we are. How long does bargaining take?

Some VI's don't even realise what is happening until they see their virtual £3m portfolio disappear overnight.

So I take it yours was a "Denial" vote?

Anger actually, as I have a mate who didn't believe me, has a portfolio of around £2m, bought all his houses in one area (idiot), and now is trying to sell up and everyday he is getting more frustrated cause he can't sell at the price he wants. He's still in denial, but more angry that people aren't buying.

He put four houses up for sale on the same street - the neighbours complained :lol:

He's now taken them off till the market improves.

He put four houses up for sale on the same street - the neighbours complained :lol:

Oh, how I laughed!

What, 2012? :lol::lol::lol::o

I think the big boys in the industry know exactly what is going on, but those at the bottom, the EAs on the street, probably don't know what a down turn is. They are probably getting worried, but are still probably in denial.

He's still in denial, but more angry that people aren't buying.

:lol: It looks like the neighbours will be moaning again in about 7 years.

Definitely still in denial. Everyone I speak to still thinks property ALWAYS goes up no matter what. Then the VI article headlines are always quoted to back up their statements

Edited by Swipe

I think that they are still at the point where they are blowing smoke up as many bottoms as will listen.

the VI's have know that this market is cyclical for as long as there has been a market.

Just trying to hold onto the good times.

Definitely still in denial. Everyone I speak to still thinks property ALWAYS goes up no matter what.

I think this is a different point, I would agree with you that the public are still in denial.

However, I think the vested interests, mortgage lenders etc. are starting to reach the bargaining stage.

They are also bound to be further forward in the cycle because frankly even people who are buying and selling seem to take little interest in and do no research into the current state of the housing market.

For a subject that we Brits discuss ad nauseum it seems that very few people in this country ever actually move further forward with their research than reading a couple of newspaper headlines.

I think this is a different point, I would agree with you that the public are still in denial.

However, I think the vested interests, mortgage lenders etc. are starting to reach the bargaining stage.

They are also bound to be further forward in the cycle because frankly even people who are buying and selling seem to take little interest in and do no research into the current state of the housing market.

For a subject that we Brits discuss ad nauseum it seems that very few people in this country ever actually move further forward with their research than reading a couple of newspaper headlines.

I agree with all of this.

I think the big boys in the industry know exactly what is going on, but those at the bottom, the EAs on the street, probably don't know what a down turn is. They are probably getting worried, but are still probably in denial.

I have a lot of contact with the building industry (can't say more than that)

Anyone who has only been in the sector for 10 years or less, has no experience of actually 'selling a home'

Some of these people are in relatively senior positions i.e. marketing director with degree

However the real power in the boardrooms is from directors that control these companies and they tend to be a bit older, they were there last time and they know exactly what is going on

It isn't quite HPC yet, but i do not know a serious player in the industry that is 'in denial' about the possibility

Finally, remember that a drop of say 15% in the next 12-15 months is an annoyance, but in a business cycle, its no big deal to Persimmon, TW, GW etc,

They will STILL make profit

Greedy ex-pats will be amongst the real losers - shame :D

Edited by 88Crash

I really am horrible, but I am curious about what a convention of depressed EAs would look like.

"Oh there's nothing so lonesome, morbid or dire,

as a room full of EA's who can't find a buyer."

I'm sure any ex-Aussie can find a tune for that. :lol::lol:

The EA's seem to be frustrated with the ever patient Moi.

I go in, tell them how good my finances are and no I won't look at a mortgage as it distorts figures and can happily be given one but first prices need to adjust. That it feels like I'm talking to a bunch of zombies doesn't matter after I've said that.

I wonder how long they can last without reductions as they all seem to be picking their asses doing little at present.