Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCountOfNowhere

This time next year we'll be millionaires....

Recommended Posts

If people dont see the madness of this, then I can't help them

 

http://news.sky.com/story/del-boy-was-right-why-only-fools-and-horses-brothers-would-be-millionaires-today-11004208

 

Their three-bedroom flat in Peckham could today be worth around £850,000, thanks to rising prices in the rapidly gentrifying area.

The garage lock-up, three-wheeled 1967 Reliant Regal Supervan III and Ford Capri that Del Boy and Rodney owned would be worth £55,000.

 

Comedy gold indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'd roll in DellBoy's Capri Ghia! B)

Another bubble waiting to burst, classic cars. I bought a car in 2007 for £5K, spent another £10K on it over the years to run it and bring it up to scratch. My insurance company wanted an independent valuation and it came back at £50K - £60K !! It's a £12K car at best...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Another bubble waiting to burst, classic cars. I bought a car in 2007 for £5K, spent another £10 on it over the years to run it and bring it up to scratch. My insurance company wanted an independent valuation and it came back at £50K - £60K !! It's a £12K car at best...............

better than a house that, i wish i could spend just £10 on my car to bring it up to scratch, hell, i wish it was only £10 just to fix a scratch. hahaha i assume 10K obviously..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Another bubble waiting to burst, classic cars. I bought a car in 2007 for £5K, spent another £10 on it over the years to run it and bring it up to scratch. My insurance company wanted an independent valuation and it came back at £50K - £60K !! It's a £12K car at best...............

As a petrolhead, fully agree. There is no correlation with value and absolute shit sells for incredible money. With low interest rates, money finds its way into other avenues and creates bubbles everywhere. (cars, guitars, wine, art, anything)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leonardratso said:

better than a house that, i wish i could spend just £10 on my car to bring it up to scratch, hell, i wish it was only £10 just to fix a scratch. hahaha i assume 10K obviously..

Yeah, corrected now thanks :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so basically they want to charge you an insurance premium for  50-60K car which at market rates is worth £12K, you should get it insured and burn it out immediately (this is not financial advice obviously - or even legal).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

As a petrolhead, fully agree. There is no correlation with value and absolute shit sells for incredible money. With low interest rates, money finds its way into other avenues and creates bubbles everywhere. (cars, guitars, wine, art, anything)

I watch one of those car programs on Quest now and again and it's some american bloke paying crazy money for cars saying stuff like "it's be worth £100K more next year" etc.

When the bust comes in shares, houses, cars etc...it's going to be crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leonardratso said:

so basically they want to charge you an insurance premium for  50-60K car which at market rates is worth £12K, you should get it insured and burn it out immediately (this is not financial advice obviously - or even legal).

Strangely enough it didn't affect the premium, I'm afraid your option to dispose of it isn't viable;), I could sell it in the current market for maybe £45K but I bought it because I like it and money isn't everything. I could of course sell it and buy a new car and suffer massive depreciation but what's the point in that.

I'll keep I as long as I can do it justice then give it to my son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I watch one of those car programs on Quest now and again and it's some american bloke paying crazy money for cars saying stuff like "it's be worth £100K more next year" etc.

When the bust comes in shares, houses, cars etc...it's going to be crazy.

"it's be worth £100K more next year"  is both incorrect because it's never going to be "worth" more than it's scrap value, the rest of the money is speculation and emotion.

It happened before in the late 80s with Ferraris and Porsche Turbos bubbling up to £250K then down again to £40K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Another bubble waiting to burst, classic cars. I bought a car in 2007 for £5K, spent another £10K on it over the years to run it and bring it up to scratch. My insurance company wanted an independent valuation and it came back at £50K - £60K !! It's a £12K car at best...............

Impressive. B)

I think we have inadvertently derailed the thread from overpriced flats in London to the bubble-tastic classic car market. :huh: Sorry, Count! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattW said:

Impressive. B)

I think we have inadvertently derailed the thread from overpriced flats in London to the bubble-tastic classic car market. :huh: Sorry, Count! ;)

Nothing inadvertent about it :D it's all related, anyway it kills the time waiting for things to happen :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Strangely enough it didn't affect the premium, I'm afraid your option to dispose of it isn't viable;), I could sell it in the current market for maybe £45K but I bought it because I like it and money isn't everything. I could of course sell it and buy a new car and suffer massive depreciation but what's the point in that.

I'll keep I as long as I can do it justice then give it to my son.

Fair enough, plus if you can actually use it as a car (not saying commuting etc) on days out etc then thats a bonus on top of its perceived value.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

Fair enough, plus if you can actually use it as a car (not saying commuting etc) on days out etc then thats a bonus on top of its perceived value.

 

I walk to work, but it is my main transport for for personal mileage including the supermarket run. It's a perfectly practical (well maybe not being LHD) small 5 door hatchback, ideal size for British roads which is why I bought it in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Strangely enough it didn't affect the premium, I'm afraid your option to dispose of it isn't viable;), I could sell it in the current market for maybe £45K but I bought it because I like it and money isn't everything. I could of course sell it and buy a new car and suffer massive depreciation but what's the point in that.

I'll keep I as long as I can do it justice then give it to my son.

You bought something to actually make use of it rather than speculate away? What a quaint notion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

If people dont see the madness of this, then I can't help them

 

http://news.sky.com/story/del-boy-was-right-why-only-fools-and-horses-brothers-would-be-millionaires-today-11004208

 

Their three-bedroom flat in Peckham could today be worth around £850,000, thanks to rising prices in the rapidly gentrifying area.

The garage lock-up, three-wheeled 1967 Reliant Regal Supervan III and Ford Capri that Del Boy and Rodney owned would be worth £55,000.

 

Comedy gold indeed.

Yeah!  We've got a million squid.   But we don't have anywhere to live...

Buy a house!  

Now we don't have our million squid any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/08/2017 at 2:16 PM, Option5 said:

I walk to work, but it is my main transport for for personal mileage including the supermarket run. It's a perfectly practical (well maybe not being LHD) small 5 door hatchback, ideal size for British roads which is why I bought it in the first place.

Integrale?

A friend is one of the parts specialists for them - he has a picture of his forecourt in about 2006, in today's prices he would have about 3/4 million in stock....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rxe said:

Integrale?

A friend is one of the parts specialists for them - he has a picture of his forecourt in about 2006, in today's prices he would have about 3/4 million in stock....

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rxe said:

in today's prices he would have about 3/4 million in stock....

Bit like houses, big prices but no one is actually buying :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, rxe said:

Integrale?

 

22 hours ago, Option5 said:

Yep

Very nice! B) I've always had a soft spot for the Thema 8.32!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MattW said:

Very nice! B) I've always had a soft spot for the Thema 8.32!

Had it 10 years now, still not bored with it :) It's in for a freshen up at the moment but should be back soon.

You mean a 4 door 328 with the worlds first retactable spoiler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Had it 10 years now, still not bored with it :) It's in for a freshen up at the moment but should be back soon.

You mean a 4 door 328 with the worlds first retactable spoiler?

Nice one. I remember reading about an Integrale project in Max Power back in the mid 1990s. It was fished out the bottom of a lake or a river, of all places. It looked like brand new in the article. Stunning car.

The closest I've been to owning any Lancia is a 1990 Fiat Tempra 1.4 that fired on 3 cylinders! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 297 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.