TheCountOfNowhere

Most insane service charge you've come across

Just say this listing on RM

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48762543.html

2 bedroom flat for sale

Lonsdale, Wolverton, Milton Keynes

£117,500

"£445.00 SERVICE CHARGE PER MONTH"

That's approx 50% of my rent, for a rather large detached house not 1,000,000 miles away

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Don't worry about them, it's your taxes that will probably finish up paying it via Housing Benefit.

50% shared equity so a low rent to pay, but eligible rent includes most types of service charges. So the low rent and high service charge will probably be covered by LHA

Eligible rent
Eligible rent means the reasonable rent for a suitable property in your area. It includes service charges (such as for lift maintenance or a communal laundry) but not things like heating.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

5 minutes ago, dougless said:

Presumably it that high because you are renting half of it.  Having said that it really doesn't look good value for money.

yeah, 50% share ownership job, mad price. MK was in free fall after 2007, now it's boom time as the london idiots piled in.

Those flats should be selling for £40K considering the service charge.

Some of the modern apartments in London have annual charges of £8,000+. Many have even larger amounts.

Edited by Errol

4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Just say this listing on RM

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48762543.html

2 bedroom flat for sale

Lonsdale, Wolverton, Milton Keynes

£117,500

"£445.00 SERVICE CHARGE PER MONTH"

That's approx 50% of my rent, for a rather large detached house not 1,000,000 miles away

^ Jesus. That's a high service charge for a flat that 'cheap' (for want of a better word). :wacko:

A few years ago someone on this forum posted a flat in a new-ish looking block in sandstone brick located in Cambridge. I recognised it as I stayed in the Travelodge across the road from it a few years before. For anyone who knows Cambridge better than I do I think it was located off Cherry Hinton Road near the railway line.

The flat itself cost about half a million which didn't surprise me. However the service charge quoted was over £400 a month. :oEven with a cash buyer, paying that service charge must feel like renting in itself. :blink: Albeit at below market rates.

Landlords can take the service charge (as opposed to a shared ownership rent)  off their taxes as an expense I am guessing

service charge is always poor value for money...inevitable when spending other peoples money....much like our taxes.

7 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I was half expecting the thread to be about car service charges.

£847 for a Merc, outrageous!

What kind of service? Funeral or Cremation?

15 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

£847 for a Merc, outrageous!

I hope my dad doesn't get charged that much the next time he takes his A-Class (older style) in for a service. :blink: