House Price Crash Forum

"Ford announces £2,000 scrappage scheme for pre-2010 cars"

ftb_fml

HOLA441
46 minutes ago, longgone said:

The UK needs some kind of hybrid vehicle that runs on sebaceous fat cells have a liposuction type device fitted to a car and you have a near perpetual motion fueled cars.  Running out of fuel head to the nearest maccyd drive through:lol:

Love it!!! :P:P

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
26 minutes ago, WSG said:

Congratulations..you've just invented the bicycle.  Probably the most efficient urban transport there is.  Pollution free, efficient space user, simple enough to be operated by a child of 8 and it makes the user healthier saving the taxpayer billions.

Bicycles are the real future of urban transport.

You need some fatties up front to make it a viable vehicle. More fatties = more horse power

HOLA443
11 minutes ago, longgone said:

You need some fatties up front to make it a viable vehicle. More fatties = more horse power

But there is trade off between weight and horse power its the Colin Chapman of Lotus fame against the Shelby V8 muscle car route

Probably need 1st quartile obese  non smokers....

HOLA444
42 minutes ago, WSG said:

Congratulations..you've just invented the bicycle.  Probably the most efficient urban transport there is.  Pollution free, efficient space user, simple enough to be operated by a child of 8 and it makes the user healthier saving the taxpayer billions.

Bicycles are the real future of urban transport.

Think you are spot, but there is also a need for electric bikes, I live just on the edge of London and motorcycle in. Seriously considering an electric bike because just a little too far for a conventional cycle. The bonus is a motorcyclist weaving in and out amongst a****hole car drivers is something I enjoy !

HOLA445
4 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

Think you are spot, but there is also a need for electric bikes, I live just on the edge of London and motorcycle in. Seriously considering an electric bike because just a little too far for a conventional cycle. The bonus is a motorcyclist weaving in and out amongst a****hole car drivers is something I enjoy !

Is that electric as in electrically assisted pedal bike or an electric motorbike?

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Is that electric as in electrically assisted pedal bike or an electric motorbike?

Electrically assisted - electric motorbike where is the fun in that would stop me scaring dozy drivers, old dears and poodles!

Even big bikes are so much better for the environment - I have a BMW r1200rs 145 top speed even keeping it low in the gears for the above effect 50 to the gallon. cost in and out of London about 25miles £3 what's there not to like? free parking or at most  £1 in Westminster and good for the soul 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, kzb said:

there is a shortage of atmosphere in which to dump the combustion products.

Absolute tosh.

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is almost a rounding error. We were almost at the level where plant growth is no longer sustainable.

High CO2 leads to faster plant growth, as the CO2 level is by far the most limiting factor (ask any greenhouse grower), which leads to improved crop yields.

The Earth's surface is a dynamic environment with negative feedback loops which self-regulate. If it weren't, it would not have been stable for hundreds of millions of years.

HOLA448
1 hour ago, kzb said:

A diesel engine is about 40% more efficient than a petrol or LPG engine.

CO2 is not pollution. CO2 is an essential, naturally-occurring gas in the atmosphere.

Real pollution is the smog, generated in quantity by diesel engines, and, for example the Fluoride produced by aluminium plants, which was killing the American countryside as early as 60 years ago.

HOLA449
25 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

But there is trade off between weight and horse power its the Colin Chapman of Lotus fame against the Shelby V8 muscle car route

Probably need 1st quartile obese  non smokers....

a couple of apple shaped bodies on a downhill run will probably increase kinetic energy though, the fattest fatties should be well up front to create a peloton effect to make slip streaming easier. 

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, Locke said:

Absolute tosh.

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere is almost a rounding error. We were almost at the level where plant growth is no longer sustainable.

High CO2 leads to faster plant growth, as the CO2 level is by far the most limiting factor (ask any greenhouse grower), which leads to improved crop yields.

The Earth's surface is a dynamic environment with negative feedback loops which self-regulate. If it weren't, it would not have been stable for hundreds of millions of years.

I agree there has been a lot of climate alarmism.  I know full well that all climate models overpredict the real-world temperature increase.

But you can't beat the laws of physics.  CO2 is a greenhouse gas and it will lead to warming.  Do you support a free for all on fossil fuel burning?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 minute ago, kzb said:

But you can't beat the laws of physics.  CO2 is a greenhouse gas

Yes, in an isolated system, more CO2 traps more heat.

and it will lead to warming. 

No, the Earth's surface is a mind bogglingly complex dynamic system. Space and the oceans are infinite heat sinks. A deviation from the mean leads to a negative feedback loop, which pushes it back to the mean. Positive feedback loops are suppressed by much stronger negative feedback loops.

Do you support a free for all on fossil fuel burning?

Do I support drug dealers selling whatever they want? Listen, no one has the right to restrict by violence anyone else's actions.

The government does not have the right to shoot me for burning fuel.

HOLA4413

We seem to have gone from the Ford scheme being a plot to farm the sheep into more debt, to climate scepticism.

The climate science debate once started is never ending, I'm keeping off that.

For the record, yes I think the scrappage scheme is just another marketing ploy. 

HOLA4414
16 minutes ago, kzb said:

We seem to have gone from the Ford scheme being a plot to farm the sheep into more debt, to climate scepticism.

The climate science debate once started is never ending, I'm keeping off that.

For the record, yes I think the scrappage scheme is just another marketing ploy. 

but what do you think about bicycles! this thread is properly derailed :) 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
37 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

but what do you think about bicycles! this thread is properly derailed :) 

I used to commute by cycle when I lived near work.  It's not a realistic option when you live many miles away.  Or have kids to transport.  Or stuff to carry.

We have many cycle lanes to nowhere, barely used, are unsafe in many cases, and which take up valuable road space.  The cost to the economy and pollution must be significant.

One person cycling does not make up for the many vehicles delayed, slowing down, speeding up again as a result of cycles and cycle lanes.

It's also the second most dangerous mode of transport after motorcycles, hence another cost to the NHS.

HOLA4418

There's a bit of road diverted near me for a new road. The original is still there, and usable by bikes (I think at any rate, that's certainly the plan AFAIK, but maybe the bridge hasn't been finished yet so I may be wrong) - yet cyclists keep cycling along the new alignment, with all its traffic, instead of the original road, with next to no traffic now.

HOLA4419
24 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

There's a bit of road diverted near me for a new road. The original is still there, and usable by bikes (I think at any rate, that's certainly the plan AFAIK, but maybe the bridge hasn't been finished yet so I may be wrong) - yet cyclists keep cycling along the new alignment, with all its traffic, instead of the original road, with next to no traffic now.

Strange. Is the road surface very poor on the old road ? Cant think of why you would choose a busy road ahead of a quiet one - if going the same direction.

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, ccc said:

Strange. Is the road surface very poor on the old road ? Cant think of why you would choose a busy road ahead of a quiet one - if going the same direction.

I quite regularly drive along a road where the cycle lane is so unsafe no cyclist with any sense would use it.  

I've no objection to cycle lanes in the situation you describe: a bit of diverted road.  But then you have the vulnerable female cyclists who cannot use a lonely road.

Edited by kzb

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
11 minutes ago, kzb said:

I quite regularly drive along a road where the cycle lane is so unsafe no cyclist with any sense would use it.  

I've no objection to cycle lanes in the situation you describe: a bit of diverted road.  But then you have the vulnerable female cyclists who cannot use a lonely road.

It's not lonely, goes past several houses, which the new one doesn't. You do have to turn off of course, which means in one direction having to cross the traffic. And it might be that I'm being unfair and the new bridge isn't ready yet. The road surface should be OK, it was a main road until a couple of months ago and is still an access to various houses and businesses.

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Errol said:

I recommend the Lexus LFA if you want a Lexus. It would only cost about £298,000, with the £2000 discount.

Lexus LFA Yellow Las Vegas.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA

that looks ideal for running around town with, not keen on the colour but it looks a nice cheap runaround. I think ill get 2 incase 1 breaks (or the ashtray gets full before my valet can get it emptied).

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Locke said:

Yes, in an isolated system, more CO2 traps more heat.

No, the Earth's surface is a mind bogglingly complex dynamic system. Space and the oceans are infinite heat sinks. A deviation from the mean leads to a negative feedback loop, which pushes it back to the mean. Positive feedback loops are suppressed by much stronger negative feedback loops.

Do I support drug dealers selling whatever they want? Listen, no one has the right to restrict by violence anyone else's actions.

The government does not have the right to shoot me for burning fuel.

never quite understood how a (closed) positive pressure system is supposed to exist next to a vacuum without a solid barrier.