House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Anyone returned their mobile phone under warranty because of the battery?

My Nexus 6 is 1year 8 months old.  The battery is now so rubbish it can barely take 30 minutes of light use (a bit of podcast listening and websurfing).

I have a 2 year warranty, so want to return it, but what will they offer me?  I am kind of thinking a new phone is not going to happen!!  Will they want to send it off for a repair which could take weeks?  (That would be a real pita as I have no other phone)

11 minutes ago, Option5 said:

You could change it yourself, the batteries are about £15 (less on fleabay)

I have googled doing that, but the battery is not designed to be replaced, the phone is hard to take apart, and also there are no official spares, a lot of the replacements are below standard.  Could make things worse rather than better.

25 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Just a thought: any chance the faulty item is the charger and not the battery?

Nice bit of lateral thinking, DTM.

33 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Just a thought: any chance the faulty item is the charger and not the battery?

Unlikely, I use multiple charges at home, at work, and also a battery pack that I now have to use.  In each case after the battery is taken off the charger it plummets.

21 hours ago, reddog said:

My Nexus 6 is 1year 8 months old.  The battery is now so rubbish it can barely take 30 minutes of light use (a bit of podcast listening and websurfing).

I have a 2 year warranty, so want to return it, but what will they offer me?  I am kind of thinking a new phone is not going to happen!!  Will they want to send it off for a repair which could take weeks?  (That would be a real pita as I have no other phone)

I returned a nexus 4 and they replaced it with a reconditioned one which worked fine. They actually sent out the replacement by 24hr courier and iirc the same courier picked up my broken one off me. 

Lithium batteries really do not like being over about 80% charge for expended periods of time so dont fully charge your phone and dont leave it plugged into a charger when fully charged.

On 18/08/2017 at 6:30 PM, reddog said:

Well done for perserverence. I bought a nexus, the battery life was awful from the start, it is so bad it gets switched on about once a week, most I can tolerate. I just use my work mobile now. I see the positive side, I spend so little time on my phones now.

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

Well done for perserverence. I bought a nexus, the battery life was awful from the start, it is so bad it gets switched on about once a week, most I can tolerate. I just use my work mobile now. I see the positive side, I spend so little time on my phones now.

To be honest, it is the device I use most.

Apart from the battery it is a fantastic phone, would like to get another year of life out of it, because replacing it with the latest and greatest pixel will be expensive.