House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Fiat 500 - I see them everywhere!

3 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Fake off-roaders, (faux by fours as i call them) are probably amongst tge worst driven cars on the road. Either too aggressive or completely oblivious to the world around them. A favourite tactic of their drivers is to drive along at just below the speed limiter speed of Coaches or HGVs, force them to start overtaking and then speed up to just enough above the limiter that the larger vehicle gets stranded in the overtaking lane with a BMW up its trumpet.

Why do they have to drive on the limiter everywhere?  They could just slow down fractionally;  2mph slower for a miles wouldn't add anything noticeable to their total journey duration.  They'll probably only go slower on the next hill anyway and could spend a few miles afterwards at the limiter catching up with said slow car.

On 19/08/2017 at 3:57 PM, Si1 said:

Don't get me started on qashquais. Talk about aspirational keeping up with the Joneses. 'are we using the qashquai dear'. Apparently they're functionally incapable of driving anywhere but the middle lane on the motorway too.

Add the Nissan Puke to that list.

43 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Add the Nissan Puke to that list.

Don't you mean the Nissan Joke?

9 hours ago, dgul said:

Why do they have to drive on the limiter everywhere?  They could just slow down fractionally;  2mph slower for a miles wouldn't add anything noticeable to their total journey duration.  They'll probably only go slower on the next hill anyway and could spend a few miles afterwards at the limiter catching up with said slow car.

Maybe they do but when one is performing an overtaking manoeuvre, one needs to use every last mph you can find to do it safely.

The better question would be why do these the drivers of these sh*tboxes not travel at closer to their speed limit and stay out of the way of slow moving traffic?

12 hours ago, sexton said:

Poser? If I wanted to pose I be in an XC60 or 90 not in a reasonable runabout with a high enough seat to allow the wife easy access. Dacia are too tacky and uncomfortable and the Renault Captur is just weird.

Well done sir, you found the exception to the rule.

14 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Fake off-roaders, (faux by fours as i call them) are probably amongst tge worst driven cars on the road. Either too aggressive or completely oblivious to the world around them. A favourite tactic of their drivers is to drive along at just below the speed limiter speed of Coaches or HGVs, force them to start overtaking and then speed up to just enough above the limiter that the larger vehicle gets stranded in the overtaking lane with a BMW up its trumpet.

I drive one now... but I don't drive like that :) Has a reasonable towing limit (2.2T) while still being very 'car like' on the road. The 2wd only ones with 1.5T limits I don't get... all the downsides of being shaped like a brick with very little upside.

12 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Given the way it looks I'll stick with Puke :)

People took the p out of the Fiat Multupla for being ugly back in the day, but with that car there was a sort of method to.the madness: 3+3 seating; big windows; plenty of headroom etc. The Juke's interior feels like you've been trapped inside a pillar-box. The exterior just looks ugly for ugly's sake.

Don't get me started on the Toyota CHR...

15 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

People took the p out of the Fiat Multupla for being ugly back in the day, but with that car there was a sort of method to.the madness: 3+3 seating; big windows; plenty of headroom etc. The Juke's interior feels like you've been trapped inside a pillar-box. The exterior just looks ugly for ugly's sake.

Don't get me started on the Toyota CHR...

Had a Multipla as a hire car once, absolutely brilliant handling for what it was, only problem I had was visibility, should have cut the eye holes bigger in the paper bag :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

Don't you mean the Nissan Joke?

Maybe they do but when one is performing an overtaking manoeuvre, one needs to use every last mph you can find to do it safely.

The better question would be why do these the drivers of these sh*tboxes not travel at closer to their speed limit and stay out of the way of slow moving traffic?

Well, the comment was a bit tongue in cheek...  I think the problem is actually that the slow drivers hold up the lorry that slows down a little, then eventually sees that they can overtake safely with a 3mph speed-up, then, halfway through the manoeuvre the slow driver realises that they're going slower than the lorries, so speeds up fractionally to make sure that they're not going that slowly.  After 5 mins the cycle repeats.

On 18/08/2017 at 6:10 AM, reddog said:

The pointlessness of the so called car parking spaces, and internal garages especially, of new builds has long been a blood pressure raising topic for me - given that they are barely capable of allowing comfortable entry and exit for a 1930's Austin 7!

In fact I am constantly surpised that there has not been a successful prosecution of any of the house builders under trades description legislation (does that exist any more?!).  In fact my own theory is that builders deliberately build this way because those car unusable spaces are, in effect, an additional bedroom/living room that they can leave to the buyers to finish off and implement.

BUT....I have zero sympathy for anyone making what is, for most, the largest purchase of their lives and not even clocking the fact that the garage/driveway/etc is wholly inadequate for the car they drive or are likely to use in future.  It's akin to picking up a pack of fresh fruit/veg at the supermarket, getting home and then realising you didn't even look to see that it was past its sell by date.

On 2017/08/18 at 0:02 AM, Bruce Banner said:

They're actually quite good little cars.

I had one as a rental car for a few weeks. Second-worst thing I ever drove (after the rented Kia that made me travel-sick while driving it), and not even much more economical than our SUV.

On 2017/08/22 at 10:07 AM, anonguest said:

The pointlessness of the so called car parking spaces, and internal garages especially, of new builds has long been a blood pressure raising topic for me - given that they are barely capable of allowing comfortable entry and exit for a 1930's Austin 7!

Even over here, there's barely space in our garage for a full-sized pickup despite probably 90% of families owning one. There's about one inch clearance at front and back when we have one in there.

On 21/08/2017 at 10:04 AM, Riedquat said:

I was rather unhappy to be given one as a hire car a few years ago for a 150+ mile each way journey. A rather unpleasant little thing for that. They might be good for trundling around town, although it felt like it was going to tip over on roundabouts.

I had one as a curtesy car. Horrible little thing, only a metro have I driven worse. At least they're economical... or rather aren't at all as you need to rev the hell of it to get to 40. Plus it had a City button, super power steering. No idea why. Terrible car imo.

reninds me of when everyone went nuts for those Chrysler's a few years ago. Hardly see any now. Still plenty of MK1 Focus' though. Great car still if looked after.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:06 PM, council dweller said:

How about the latest Ford Ka ?

4,OOO less than a fiesta (made in India)

It was my understanding that the KA and 500 share may parts and the basic chassis layout.

I read so many conflicting things about the 500.  They are cute but a good friend had a long journey in one recently and said the main problem was NOISE.  I suspect the two cylinder 'Twin Air' engine is the main issue.  These engines are good fun round town ( I recently drove a Fiat Panda with the two cylinder engine) but you need to rev them and that creates two problems; noise and poor fuel consumption.  The four cylinder 'Twin Air' engines is superb but I don't think that is fitted in a 500 unless the Abarth has one.

On 28/08/2017 at 11:05 AM, dougless said:

I read so many conflicting things about the 500.  They are cute but a good friend had a long journey in one recently and said the main problem was NOISE.  I suspect the two cylinder 'Twin Air' engine is the main issue.  These engines are good fun round town ( I recently drove a Fiat Panda with the two cylinder engine) but you need to rev them and that creates two problems; noise and poor fuel consumption.  The four cylinder 'Twin Air' engines is superb but I don't think that is fitted in a 500 unless the Abarth has one.

I have a 500 sport convertible. Love. It is great fun to drive.

But my journeys are mainly less than 10 miles. I wouldn't use it for a long trip if I had a choice.

And the luggage space isn't that bad. We can get two sets of golf clubs, two trolleys and enough luggage for a week away in it quite happily.

And no, I am not a hairdresser.