House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pablo-silver or lead?

How I Made My Property Fortune Bbc 2

Anyone watch How I Made My Property Fortune on BBC 2 today at 12.45

Here’s the blurb.

(The UK is now home to a new breed of property entrepreneur. Self made millionaires have traditionally had capital backing and a willingness to take risks to make their millions but the UK property market has changed all that.

For the first time property has provided ordinary people with the opportunity to join the ranks of the UK?s millionaires simply by owning their own homes. This programme retraces the steps of one home owner as they buy, sell, renovate and rent their way to a property million).

It showed a couple from up north (he looked like a builder) and she was a college lecture. They made a bit of money on their first 2 to 3 family properties and then bought half a run down country house for about £90k. The other half was sold to them for about £60k. The impressive stone built property stood in about 4 acres and required about £100k to restore. So £250k total outlay now weighs in at a valuation of £850k. They obviously bought very wisely and they key to the massive increase in value was that they were able to bring the two halves back together as one.

Over the years she also continued to flip up to 30 other properties. In one case buying a 4bed terrace for £48k and selling it within 2 months (having done no work on it) for £96k. This help to pay for the renovation work. She said, on a few deals she actually earnt double her PAYE salary.

Good work if you can get it

Pablo Silver or Lead?

I'm not sure when it was made but I do remember a call I took from a TV production company back in 2003. They were looking for ordinary people who had made a £ million just by trading up on their main home. This couple appear to have been operating 1994 to 2004 as we all know its a very differant market now.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

Yep, the market has changed

What's annoying is the BBC is still pumping several of these kind of programmes during the day without making it explicitly obvious (apart from the MMIV at the end of the credits) WHEN they were made

Edited by dnd

Trouble is, everyman and his dog thinks its a great money spinner.

...When you can see the bandwagon rolling into town, then its probably not worth getting on. :rolleyes:

Indeed, it has run its course and run out of steam, it's a fait accompli.

When the shoeshine boy starts giving you stock tips you know it's time to get out, the secret is out and there is no market advantage.

I pity the last few fools, they will pay for everyone.

I've always said even a chimp can make money in a rising market. The TV program 'Property Ladder' has proved this time and again. In a static market where you have to acctually add some value to a property to make money, it gets a little trickier. On one of the last property ladders shown there were 2 sisters who bought a det 4 bed art deco house in Poole for I think £375k. They budgeted 50k for renovation. One sister blew the budget when she spent 3k on handpainted tiles for the cloakroom. They put an extension/conservatory on the flat roof and the total cost of renovation ran to £170k. During the work the more conservative sister said it could be worth £900k. I'm not sure when this was made but the market here has been quite for 2 to 2.5 years. When the agents came in to value the house they said £500k 550k ans 550k, oh dear.

For those of you that think the headlines in the tabloids will continue to spin only good news about HPI, I don't buy it. Paper's like bad new as much as the next guy and they are renowned for changing horse in mid race. The next few month are going to bring stats and numbers that show the reality of the market on the street.

this parties over!

Pablo Silver or Lead?

I dunno. If one of the tele channels were prepared to put up the stakes, I'd do it just for a laugh.

The property skydiver. Watch would be property developers chase the market down.

"Over 10 transactions Elizabeth managed to turn 300,000 pounds of Channel 4 money into studio on a council high-rise in Edmunton. But shes still optimistic." She says of her fortunes "Its been fun and I've learned a lot. Thankfully with someone elses money. I'm not sharing the pain."

I wouldn't deny that people have made a fortune from the property market. Those that get in early will always make money. Its the fools at the bottom of the market that get shafted,

Buy low, sell high.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

I'm intrigued by your name. What does it mean?

I dunno. If one of the tele channels were prepared to put up the stakes, I'd do it just for a laugh.

The property skydiver. Watch would be property developers chase the market down.

"Over 10 transactions Elizabeth managed to turn 300,000 pounds of Channel 4 money into studio on a council high-rise in Edmunton. But shes still optimistic." She says of her fortunes "Its been fun and I've learned a lot. Thankfully with someone elses money. I'm not sharing the pain."

I can't wait to see the post crash documentary on BBC2/Channel 4.

I also think there is a great documentary in looking at the negative side of high house prices. It might wake a few people up.

Making a documentary isn't that hard.

If I wouldn't get the sack for it, I'd love to do an expose at what happens at lending institutions.

Smell the Fear.

You don't build the most powerful drugs cartel in historywithout being persuasive. Pablo Escobar was a very persuasive man. If he wanted somthing from some one, whether it was a peasent, police officer or high ranking government official, he would offer them Silver or Lead?

Do as I say and I will make you rich (Silver)

Don't do as I say and your hands and feet will be bound with barbed wire, you'll be dragged behind a vehicle and set on fire, then shot (Lead)

It's not difficult to see how he managed to corrupt so many people.

Source: Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden ISBN 1-903809-48-7

Pablo Silver or Lead?