House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilverunderwater

BT Infinity

Should read BT infinitely 5hit.

my broadband provider keeps putting up their prices and yet their service is becoming increasingly unreliable. I've had enough. Is it worth phoning them up which involves hunting for the phone to plug into the phone line we've never used or do I just go back to Three and get the home dongle (as I know their signal was pretty reliable, while not infinitely fast (25mbps) in my rural setting.

Any suggestions for a roof aerial (uni or omnidirectional) or would their home wifi box (not dongle) be good enough. £24 a month for 40gb seems reasonable and half the cost of BT. 

On 14/08/2017 at 9:36 AM, longtomsilverunderwater said:

Any suggestions for a roof aerial (uni or omnidirectional) or would their home wifi box (not dongle) be good enough. £24 a month for 40gb seems reasonable and half the cost of BT. 

What do you call a bear with a uni-directional aerial on his head?

Yagi Bear.

You do realise I've waited 22 years to make that joke!

26 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I use the following and can connect to WiFi hotspots (with 100% signal quality) that my laptop's built-in adaptor can't even see, let alone connect to. Both of our laptops and our phones simultaneously connect (wireless) with the R36 which connects to the hotspot via the USB adaptor and external antenna. I'm using the system now to connect with a wifi hotspot a couple of hundred yards away and am getting over 6Mbps down. 

Alfa Network R36 USB Router. (Same as in first system).

Alfa Network AWUS036NHV High Power USB Adaptor.

TP-Link ANT-2414A 2.4GHz Outdoor Directional Panel Antenna

We have the EE Home 4G plan which at the time it was taken out cost £75/mo for 100GB/mo.

That comes with a modem which works quite well.

It does have a socket for an external antenna. Modem is likely to be locked to EE, I haven't tried another SIM.

The one we actually use is this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4

.. which isn't network locked, since it was bought outright.

It has a pair of internal antennae which perform very well. With it on the window sill upstairs it will get 3 bars all by itself and perform at circa 25Mbps up and down.

We also have a directional roof antenna, singular, so it's not ideal for 4G which ideally needs a pair of antennae or a "cross-polarised" one (we've had this one since the days of 3G); with that the latency is reduced and the speeds can hit 50Mbps both ways depending mostly on network contention. That sees the modem get a 5 bar signal. Cell is about 2.6km away and it has line of sight because our house is on a slight hill and it's fitted to the chimney.

Unless you're really confident that the network you pick is going to be performant then a stack of PAYG cards and that modem will enable you to experiment before considering a contract.

Then if you need or want to buy an external antenna Solwise is a good company to take a look at and can advise.