House Price Crash Forum

Someone elsewhere posted a comment yesterday that current research shows that addiction is a genetic inherited thing. Bar Dealers the people targeted by those machines cannot help themselves - and its why Gamblers Anonymous / Alcoholics Anonymous work in the same way...

• 3 years later...
19 hours ago, longgone said:

I thought the guy was going to win. The excuse was just total made up nonsense in case it worked or the case could be kept going until he died or whatever.

Here's a quote from a guy I know who works in betting.

"The only people who like Fred are people who've never met him".

1 hour ago, Bluestone59 said:

I thought the guy was going to win. The excuse was just total made up nonsense in case it worked or the case could be kept going until he died or whatever.

Here's a quote from a guy I know who works in betting.

"The only people who like Fred are people who've never met him".

Indeed just out and out fleecing of the public.

Years ago i won 700 quid on a fobt, they tried to palm me off with coming back another day for the winnings as the safe was locked.

I just stayed inside till they paid up in tenners and fivers.

53 minutes ago, longgone said:

Indeed just out and out fleecing of the public.

Years ago i won 700 quid on a fobt, they tried to palm me off with coming back another day for the winnings as the safe was locked.

I just stayed inside till they paid up in tenners and fivers.

The sad thing is that even 20 years ago bookies, at least IMO, were more honestly conducted than most businesses. They got much sneakier since.

This smacks to me of the folks who really understood the businesses and the customers having gradually been ousted and replaced by lower level ciphers at the sharp end and by accountants or business degree types at the top.

Lass in Hills told me they'd axed the panic alarm to save money even though a young woman could be on her own late at night and there had been a raid only months before.

Clean your own shop, we've sacked the cleaners, no annual bonus for shop staff, only executives.  This kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

The sad thing is that even 20 years ago bookies, at least IMO, were more honestly conducted than most businesses. They got much sneakier since.

This smacks to me of the folks who really understood the businesses and the customers having gradually been ousted and replaced by lower level ciphers at the sharp end and by accountants or business degree types at the top.

Lass in Hills told me they'd axed the panic alarm to save money even though a young woman could be on her own late at night and there had been a raid only months before.

Clean your own shop, we've sacked the cleaners, no annual bonus for shop staff, only executives.  This kind of stuff.

Hardly surprising, profit and greed is no1 now.

Its like a disease destroying everything in its path.