House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
honkydonkey

Change petition for planning law relaxation for tiny homes

https://www.change.org/p/reassess-uk-planning-permission-laws-for-tiny-houses-in-response-to-the-housing-crisis

In response to the current housing crisis, in which many are finding it impossible to get on the housing ladder or else are crippled by paying rent, there needs to be an alternative. And there is. Tiny homes, prefab eco homes and houses formed from converted structures such as busses and shipping containers are just a few of the ways UK families and individuals can have a place of their own without being weighed down by rent or a hefty mortgage. Issues arise, however, when one considers where to place such affordable structures. Residential land is just as unobtainable as regular housing, and the more affordable land comes with a plethora of obstacles (namely, planning permission & associated laws) should one wish to live on it. Unfortunately, it appears even if you own a plot of land and own a space to live, you cannot simply place your space on your plot and live happily ever after. It is precisely this inaccessibility to land that is stopping UK citizens from owning or building their own affordable houses, many of which are self-sustainable and much better for the environment as well. We are calling for parliament to recognise the need for a radical change in the housing system for a generation that has little hope of ever owning their own home otherwise. Please consider that the cost of an alternative home can be as little as £10k - less than is needed as a down-payment on a mortgage - and so, should councils begin to make land more accessible, including adapting planning permission laws, hope and (more importantly!) homes will be restored to many. Thank you.

This is a difficult topic. Alternative living styles are great, and I enjoy reading how people are making different ideas work for themselves. However, choosing to live in a container /old bus/ micro apartment is a personal choice. It is most definitely not a solution the housing crisis. It's a result of it. My fear is that raising these ideas will promote developer led alternatives that will become the new normal and will no longer cost the suggested 10k!

Remove the props that encourage property to be seen as an investment, and cut cheap lending and these articles will not exist.

To be honest I would question why a supposedly first world country like the UK would be encouraging this kind of building activity. I can see if this was actually given the go ahead then shanty towns full of these types of structures would probably start to appear especially around London and in the south east, what I think would also start to happen is the "value" of these types of structures would sky rocket so that they were more in line with that of traditional housing. What would definitely not happen is the cost of housing decreasing by any significant amount. Unscrupulous landlords would take advantage and rent these out for near normal rents and lo and behold our "solution" turns into another problem of even worse quality housing than before and ugly to boot. The problem with housing in this country is the monetization of it, sort that problem out and everything else resolves itself.

1 hour ago, ExiledMatty said:

A total waste of effort.

The Govt and elites do not want people chasing any type of alternative living. So why on earth would they relax planning? Will never happen.

Suppose other planning regulations were used so that this was only allowed in large developments, where the developer could ensure services were in place, and the units were in an orderly arrangement.

In that case, such a revision to the planning laws would allow politically connected developers to increase their profits by providing low-quality, high-density housing at a very slight discount compared to proper housing, while at the same time preventing average citizens from gaining any benefit from the new law, because we would not be building a whole complex. The reassuring "protections" of proper sevices and orderly building would be the part of the argument to get attract public support, and might not actually be honoured in practice were they to reduce profits.

I hope I am being too cynical.

58 minutes ago, Toast said:

Suppose other planning regulations were used so that this was only allowed in large developments, where the developer could ensure services were in place, and the units were in an orderly arrangement.

In that case, such a revision to the planning laws would allow politically connected developers to increase their profits by providing low-quality, high-density housing at a very slight discount compared to proper housing, while at the same time preventing average citizens from gaining any benefit from the new law, because we would not be building a whole complex. The reassuring "protections" of proper sevices and orderly building would be the part of the argument to get attract public support, and might not actually be honoured in practice were they to reduce profits.

I hope I am being too cynical.

You're being a realist in this crap country of ours. I'll stick to living in my campervan for now and peeing in a bottle. Way of the road bubbles.

Isn't this, in effect, akin to building hovels/shacks for the peasantry?

Has it really come down to this?

Edited by Errol

7 hours ago, Errol said:

Isn't this, in effect, akin to building hovels/shacks for the peasantry?

Has it really come down to this?

Well, we're not even there yet. This is to try and get permission to allow us to build these shacks for the peasants.

This kind of thing will just be abused by large scale developers who will use it to drive down their build costs by shrinking the rooms even more. It's not the size of buildings which matter, it's the cost of land and the cheapness of credit. LVT is a much more plausible solution to this issue than making the UK's already small houses even smaller.