House Price Crash Forum

Should there be a mimimum bedroom size??

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
12 minutes ago, SavingBear said:

In a sane world this house should be a two bedroom, at best.

original description was 2 bed (thanks Property Bee)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49807806.html

Agreed. I would prefer fewer larger bedrooms. There should be more 2 bedroomed detached houses imo.

I see that the developer has squeezed in a separate shower cubicle next to the bath. I suspect that the bath is a short 1500mm jobbie where you can't lie back in it fully if you're a normal height. :rolleyes:

Edited by MattW
Dodgy grammar

HOLA446
HOLA447
14 minutes ago, anonlymouse said:

There are minimum sizes for all rooms in London new builds thanks to the Mayor's space standards. If it wasn't for the piss poor build quality and Help to Buy price inflation I'd take one over a mingy Victorian terrace any day.

Good as this.....or are we getting poorer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Morris_Committee

Edited by winkie

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Good as this.....or are we getting pooer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Morris_Committee

Actually improving - the London Plan adds a about an extra 6m² for a flat and 8m² for a house/maisonette, in order to provide extra storage and increase the circulation space for wheelchair access. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you can see a summary.

Edited by anonlymouse

HOLA449
3 minutes ago, anonlymouse said:

Actually improving - the London Plan adds a about an extra 6m² for a flat and 8m² for a house/maisonette, in order to provide extra storage and increase the circulation space for wheelchair access. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you can see a summary.

Fair enough, so show me the plan then show me the price.......then show me the stats for the average London working wage bringing up 2.5 children......then tell me we are getting richer.;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I compared the size of the bedrooms of a new build housing developing to my first house, built in the late 80s. A fairly standard 80s/90s 3 bed detached "estate house" too. The master bedroom in the new build was only marginally bigger (less than 1 sq/m) than the smallest room in the 80s house! And as tends to be typical one of the rooms in the new build was a 2m x 2m....4m2 for a bedroom? I am 6ft 3, barely enough room for me to lie down! I couldn't possibly ever buy a new build, they are just not functional. And everything is smaller too: the garage, the drive, the frontage, the gardens, the road to the house, the distance between properties etc. It would just be a constant feeling of being short changed on living space.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Hideous. There are national space standards, but it seems they are avoidable. Which as an architect, makes my blood boil. I see no indication of floor area but I suspect this would make a comfortable 2 bed four person house. It's often considered that open plan (combined cooking, eating and living) is unacceptable for 3 or more bedrooms (I.e. A typical family). 

And of course, who doesn't like a fake chimney? I was expecting a focal wood burner /stove breaking up that open plan space... 

HOLA4416

Just moved out of a pokey 90s built 4 bed detached that would have been a 2 bed + box room if the design was remotely sane into a 'probably 1940s built' (according to retired building surveyor future father in law) 4 bed detached which is actually a proper 4 bedroom house - every bedroom is as big or bigger than previous house master bedroom.

The change I would love to see is to let people build whatever they want, but make it mandatory to quote the square footage of floor space AND living space for every rental and sale, and the price per square foot as well

• 6 months later...
HOLA4417