House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Kitchen in the living room?

Open plan living  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your living area to be divided?

• Separate kitchen plus lounge plus dining room
    • Separate kitchen plus lounge/diner
    • Separate lounge plus kitchen/diner
    • Open plan (one large area with no internal walls)

It seems to be the current trend to have the kitchen in the living room.

Many houses are being "redeveloped" by knocking down walls to have one large area kitchen/lounge/diner. To us it's a complete show stopper, what say you?

I agree, i have no real issue with a large kitchen and diner, but would prefer all seperate room's.

The lounge needs tp be seperate through IMO.

But you can easily add walls back in if the property had been converted. Its when new houses are built like it, and are too small to do anything about it. 

I only rent, but a separate kitchen is must have which excludes most recent build apartments and almost all the cheaper stuff. Fortunately I'm not particularly price sensitive.

We built our house with a kitchen diner and separate lounge. Works really well. You don't want to see dirty dishes when you sit down in front of the telly. We do have a separate dining room but decided to use it as an office instead.

I would never consider one of these combined rooms, it HAS to be a separate kitchen with a door and a good extraction system. Cooking smells get everywhere and I don't want furniture and clothes stinking of food three days after I have cooked it.

Fenugreek can hang around 2 weeks after cooking, it needs locking up in its own room!!

Although we prefer to have separate rooms, in a smaller house, as long as the kitchen is separate, we can make do as we normally choose to eat in front of the telly using lap trays. We like to have a separate dining room but, in reality, it's not something we would use more than half a dozen times a year.

A fold away dining table in the living room, or kitchen, for family Christmas lunch etc is fine for us. 

Two, with a kitchen big enough for a table can sit around and use as an extra work surface......It all depends on the size of the ground floor living space....if it can take a separate kitchen great, nowadays smaller living spaces mean fewer walls.;)

19 minutes ago, TiredOfMagnolia said:

I would never consider one of these combined rooms, it HAS to be a separate kitchen with a door and a good extraction system. Cooking smells get everywhere and I don't want furniture and clothes stinking of food three days after I have cooked it.

Fenugreek can hang around 2 weeks after cooking, it needs locking up in its own room!!

You're thinking of nick the greek :huh:<_<:lol:

6 minutes ago, thewig said:

You are scum.

Why thank you, you're too kind, why as a renter am I scum? I'll buy when house prices seem reasonable to me. I don't own property as my job means I tend to relocate every few years and not always in the UK. If you were mistaken and assumed that I'm a landlord I shall graciously accept your grovelling apology :D. If you don't like the fact that I'm not price sensitive, there are two reasons for that, one is that I'm not prepared to live in a slum when I don't have to and the second is because my employers contribute to the rental if they want me to move to a high cost area.

My particular hate is something I increasingly see in new build flats: open plan lounge/kitchen but with the kitchen taking up the bulk of the room leaving only space for a sofa and a coffee table in the 'lounge'. 

speaking from experience it is the noise from the washing machine that is the issue...and in many cases the buzzing fridge - designed in misery.  I am sure the architects or landlords of these 'modern living' designs don't have to suffer the stress that comes with constant noise with no escape

HPC posters don't get basic irony and eat

32 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Although we prefer to have separate rooms, in a smaller house, as long as the kitchen is separate, we can make do as we normally choose to eat in front of the telly using lap trays.

Turkey twizzlers?

4 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

Turkey twizzlers?

I'm afraid this example of Sacre Bleu cooking is no longer available.

3 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

Turkey twizzlers?

Steak and chips, beef stew, roast beef and roast potatoes, you name it. 

Turkey is one thing we eat at a table and that's only at Christmas.

15 minutes ago, Horridbloke said:

Ah yes, with the delightful experience of the washing machine on spin competing with the telly. No thankyou.

I'd watch the washing machine every time. 

32 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Why thank you, you're too kind, why as a renter am I scum? I'll buy when house prices seem reasonable to me. I don't own property as my job means I tend to relocate every few years and not always in the UK. If you were mistaken and assumed that I'm a landlord I shall graciously accept your grovelling apology :D. If you don't like the fact that I'm not price sensitive, there are two reasons for that, one is that I'm not prepared to live in a slum when I don't have to and the second is because my employers contribute to the rental if they want me to move to a high cost area.

You subconsciously or otherwise labelled yourself as second class scum with your only renting comment.

5 minutes ago, thewig said:

You subconsciously or otherwise labelled yourself as second class scum with your only renting comment.

Only in your eyes. I only rent because it's the practical thing to do due to my lifestyle. I sold my UK house when I went abroad, I could have rented it out but I didn't want to be a landlord. From your viewpoint, when I returned to the UK in 2014 I should have bought a hugely overpriced house to ensure my social status? On that basis I take it you bought at the top of the market to make yourself upper class. And there was me thinking social climbing was part of the problem. Therefore I apologise for thinking for myself.

Je suis scum :D

You are a Snob

Separate kitchen, sitting room/drawing room (I'm not sure what a 'lounge' is) and dining room is the only civilised way to live.

Edited by Errol

Just now, Bruce Banner said:

I think that the operative word was "only", giving the impression that you thought of yourself as a second class citizen because you are only renting.

Only (adverb) as in that's all I do (for now)

7 minutes ago, Errol said:

Separate kitchen, sitting room/drawing room (I'm not sure what a 'lounge' is) and dining room is the only civilised way to live.

Apparently a "lounge" is where people keep something called a "settee". 

16 minutes ago, Errol said:

How often are these separate dining rooms used?.....not exactly an efficient way of using space, when not much of it.

Over the years many two sperate sitting rooms/lounges and dining rooms have been knocked through to make one large through living dining room....but as Bruce says so many now eat on their laps not on a table.;)

Edited by winkie

2 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Apparently a "lounge" is where people keep something called a "settee". 

Do people draw in a drawing room?;)