House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lepista

Not quite there yet...

8 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Why did no one see this coming?

One of my favourite things about this site is that it's like watching the news a couple of days/weeks/months before it happens.

An article will appear on the MSM and I'll think "Surely everyone knew this ages ago" and then I'll ask people and.............no, no one knew about it.

The only downside is that the big news I'm really waiting for seems to be taking AGES to turn up and I'm getting impatient.

1 minute ago, stop_the_craziness said:

One of my favourite things about this site is that it's like watching the news a couple of days/weeks/months before it happens.

An article will appear on the MSM and I'll think "Surely everyone knew this ages ago" and then I'll ask people and.............no, no one knew about it.

The only downside is that the big news I'm really waiting for seems to be taking AGES to turn up and I'm getting impatient.

That's exactly why I tune in. Best to be 1 step ahead. 

They have to title the article like that for journalistic balance. And this gives me confidence that the BBC's integrity is intact. Because just look at the comments from some actually IN the industry from the article:

"Sales activity in the housing market has been slipping in the recent months and the most worrying aspect of the latest survey is the suggestion that this could continue for some time to come." - Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at Rics

"In the South and South East one estate agent said 'real change is in the air' with many pointing to the questionable expectations of sellers."

"Many asking prices are still at levels never seen and are too high." - Anthony Webb, from Trenchard Arlidge in Surrey

"The market is desperately price sensitive and too much stock is unrealistically overpriced." - Mark Everett, based in Epsom in Surrey

"High-end estate agent Savills flagged a slowing residential market... it pointed to potential changes that could affect one of the major sources of overseas investment in London property... Additional controls over the export of capital from China are likely to reduce current levels of international real estate investment from that region"

The BBC are just introducing balance to counteract these biased estate agents.

There's no doubt that this site, as ridiculed as it may be from outside by commentators in the MSM, is inhabited by and contributed to by a a diverse range of people who differ from the majority of the populace in that they are intelligent, even if lacking the advanced levels of formal education some may have, and take it upon themselves to be better informed of a range of current affairs issues (beyond just HPI related stuff) than your typical BBC/ITV news broadcast viewer.

This is one of the great appeals of this site - and I use this thread/post to once again say thanks to all and sundry here who help make HPC enjoyable (and also largely ciivilised).

The result is indeed that we here often discuss stuff sometimes ages before it gets a voice/print space in the MSM.  Even then I often wonder if that is due to MSM journos lurking here themselves to stay better abreast of affairs!

Edited by anonguest

This is all great for sentiment...but I will only celebrate when I see a change in my local market.  mate just sold his house in a couple of days at new high at more than asking price...HPI 'business at usual' here in mid Hampshire I am afraid...I am keeping the faith but it is hard. 

9 hours ago, Dames said:

It needs to reach Bury and beyond , then it would be a past Bury ripple. 

I get my coat.

D ?

Love it. 

A bit like by the time your Granny decides to tell you to get yourself  this new thing she's found out about- a BTL - you will know you're at the end of a Conned-Right-Off Wave. 

Ahem.

7 hours ago, Wayward said:

This is all great for sentiment...but I will only celebrate when I see a change in my local market.  mate just sold his house in a couple of days at new high at more than asking price...HPI 'business at usual' here in mid Hampshire I am afraid...I am keeping the faith but it is hard. 

Ha.. I am seeing some changes in Reading. Chain's are breaking.

7 hours ago, Wayward said:

Stagnation seems to be whats going on in Hampshire, just at insane prices.

You registered for Right to Build in Hampshire NFDC claim to be on the case.

Got a feeling this may be the best bet at getting something vaguely affordable in this area.

If actually 'being there' means being able to buy a reasonable home using just a reasonable local salary then, in much of the country (and pretty much all of the South East), we are miles away.

I mean, borrow 4x the local salary in a town and what can you buy? In most places, bugger all. In many places, you are miles away. 

9 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

They have to title the article like that for journalistic balance. And this gives me confidence that the BBC's integrity is intact. Because just look at the comments from some actually IN the industry from the article:

"Sales activity in the housing market has been slipping in the recent months and the most worrying aspect of the latest survey is the suggestion that this could continue for some time to come." - Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at Rics

"In the South and South East one estate agent said 'real change is in the air' with many pointing to the questionable expectations of sellers."

"Many asking prices are still at levels never seen and are too high." - Anthony Webb, from Trenchard Arlidge in Surrey

"The market is desperately price sensitive and too much stock is unrealistically overpriced." - Mark Everett, based in Epsom in Surrey

"High-end estate agent Savills flagged a slowing residential market... it pointed to potential changes that could affect one of the major sources of overseas investment in London property... Additional controls over the export of capital from China are likely to reduce current levels of international real estate investment from that region"

The BBC are just introducing balance to counteract these biased estate agents.

Houses are priced too high and we are selling fookall drop prices or we are fooked.

Not sure maybe ?