House Price Crash Forum

This caught my eye today:

3 years this place has been on the market, during the boom time, now down 38%

No one wants to live in Coventry.

"We have many happy memories of parties and family gatherings over the years. It is great home for entertaining. We will miss living here very much."

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45006547.html

09/08/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, a Unique Luxury Mansion, Mock Tudor residence, of 5230sq ft, set in a quiet country lane, back from the Tamworth Road, one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations.No immediate neighbours. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Anne Annex
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,100,000 £1,000,000
19/05/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, built in a Unique Luxury Mansion, over 5500 sq of 5230sq ft, in set in a quiet country lane, back from the 1950s, is Tamworth Road, one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations.No immediate neighbours.In present ownership 30 years. neighbours. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Annex Anne  
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000 £1,100,000  
23/03/2017,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000  
23/01/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, built in the 1950s, is a Unique Luxury Mansion, over 5500 sq ft, in one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations. locations.No immediate neighbours.In present ownership 30 years. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Annex
  • Price changed: from '£1,450,000' to '£1,250,000'
14/01/2017,
  • Price changed: £1,450,000  
12/01/2017,
  • Price changed: Fixed Price £1,450,000  
27/11/2016,
  • Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available
17/09/2016,
15/09/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the past 30 years. *No Chain. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / BUYERS STAMP DUTY PAID! The Old Manor House, built in the 1950s, is a Unique Luxury Mansion, in one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations. 2 Acres 7 Bed 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, by separate negotiation Indoor Pool Annex
  • Price changed: Offers in Region of £1,250,000 £1,450,000
01/04/2016,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,390,000 £1,250,000  
  • Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing
04/03/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: Housenetwork Ltd are pleased to offer The Old Manor House which is a Vast ,Uniquely Magnificent property of approx. 7000 sq ft surrounded A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this ... Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the ordinary, then past 30 years. *No Chain. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in life and refuses to settle approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, by Green Belt Countryside. If you're the type of person who demands Exclusivity and the Finer things separate negotiation  
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,300,000 £1,390,000  
22/02/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: No A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the past 30 years. *No Chain. Vacant possession upon completion. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, negotiable. by separate negotiation
  • Price changed: Offers in Region Excess of £1,500,000 £1,300,000
05/11/2015,
  • Price changed: £1,600,000 Offers in Region of £1,500,000  
06/05/2015,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000 £1,600,000  
04/03/2015,
  • Status changed: from 'null' to 'Available
22/01/2015,
  • Price changed: £1,500,000  
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000  
07/10/2014,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000  
25/06/2014,
  • Initial entry found

It's about 100 yards from the M6. I suspect that large hedge is a rather desperate attempt at a noise break.

Nobody who is in the market for a large house in a rural location is going to pay £1M to live next to a motorway unless they are deaf and don't like clean air.

There's not even a junction nearby to allow whoever lives there to gain some advantage from the motorway.

This history listing shows, yet again , the inexplicable phenomenon of people trying to sell for an extended period and then actually raising the price! :o

Only with houses it seems. You don't see people advertise their cars for sale, fail to sell after X months and then actually raise the price. I know that most people don't naturally have a great deal of business acumen but some things you would think are just common sense. If no ones taking the bait then the price isn't appealing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, in many such cases, its at the prompting/suggestion of the EA who advises them (or confirms their own observations) that, seemingly, the market if red hot and prices are rising everywhere - and so they should raise theirs too.

I wonder how many, if any, such vendors ever stop to ask themselves "but it aint sold in nearly a year at the present price so how will making it more expensive increase its appeal?"

Then of course it takes them another 6 or so months to realise that perhaps that wasn't a smart move and then meekly/grudgingly put it back to where it was originally.

In this case these vendors have raised, then lowered again, the price TWICE. 

It must have been heartbreaking for the market to so cruelly tell 'em that their beloved home aint worth anywhere near as much as they had clearly deluded themsleves for so long into thinking it was worth. I suspect there's a lot of ego deflation being quietly borne by the vendors.

Edited by anonguest

17 minutes ago, anonguest said:

This history listing shows, yet again , the inexplicable phenomenon of people trying to sell for an extended period and then actually raising the price! :o

Only with houses it seems. You don't see people advertise their cars for sale, fail to sell after X months and then actually raise the price. I know that most people don't naturally have a great deal of business acumen but some things you would think are just common sense. If no ones taking the bait then the price isn't appealing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, in many such cases, its at the prompting/suggestion of the EA who advises them (or confirms their own observations) that, seemingly, the market if red hot and prices are rising everywhere - and so they should raise theirs too.

I wonder how many, if any, such vendors ever stop to ask themselves "but it aint sold in nearly a year at the present price so how will making it more expensive increase its appeal?"

Then of course it takes them another 6 or so months to realise that perhaps that wasn't a smart move and then meekly/grudgingly put it back to where it was originally.

In this case these vendors have raised the raised, then lowered again, the price TWICE. 

It must have been heartbreaking for the market to so cruelly tell 'em that their beloved home aint worth anywhere near as much as they had clearly deluded themsleves for so long into thinking it was worth. I suspect there's a lot of ego deflation being quietly borne by the vendors.

also, raising the price and lowering the price on the same day and probably in the same edit with maybe a commit in between perhaps fools the RM algo into putting a reduced notify on the advert, which looking at it for the 1st time without property bee you wouldnt know that in fact it hadnt changed at all really.

I couldn't resist adding my own annotations to the listing history imagining the behind the scenes.......

09/08/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, a Unique Luxury Mansion, Mock Tudor residence, of 5230sq ft, set in a quiet country lane, back from the Tamworth Road, one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations.No immediate neighbours. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Anne Annex
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,100,000 £1,000,000   Sob sob sob sob.........
19/05/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, built in a Unique Luxury Mansion, over 5500 sq of 5230sq ft, in set in a quiet country lane, back from the 1950s, is Tamworth Road, one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations.No immediate neighbours.In present ownership 30 years. neighbours. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Annex Anne  
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000 £1,100,000  "Darling. I think we need to face the truth. Perhaps most people just don't want to live within earshot of the motorway?"
23/03/2017,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000  "Darling I insist we don't take a penny less....."
23/01/2017,
  • Brief Description changed: The Old Manor House, built in the 1950s, is a Unique Luxury Mansion, over 5500 sq ft, in one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations. locations.No immediate neighbours.In present ownership 30 years. 2 Acres 7/8 Bed 7 Reception Indoor Pool & Annex
  • Price changed: from '£1,450,000' to '£1,250,000On the phone with EA: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE MARKET IS SLOWING? You're suggesting we reduce the price by HOW MUCH?!  WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE? CAN'T THEY RECOGNIZE A GEM WHEN THEY SEE IT? ARE YOU ACTUALLY ADVERTISING BEYOND YOUR OWN SHOP WINDOW?"
14/01/2017,
  • Price changed: £1,450,000  "OK, so the word 'fixed' might possibly put off some would be buyers? I guess we've at least got to let them at least feel they can haggle £50 off it....."
12/01/2017,
27/11/2016,
  • Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' "Best re-emphasise it is actually for sale"
17/09/2016,
  • Price changed: Fixed Price £1,450,000  "No more messing about with the price! Not going to waste our time with hagglers. It's obviously worth at least this much!"
15/09/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the past 30 years. *No Chain. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / BUYERS STAMP DUTY PAID! The Old Manor House, built in the 1950s, is a Unique Luxury Mansion, in one of Coventry's most prestigious and sought after locations. 2 Acres 7 Bed 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, by separate negotiation Indoor Pool Annex
  • Price changed: Offers in Region of £1,250,000 £1,450,000   "Darling the markets gone up so much it looks like we'll be able to sell it at pretty close to our original price after all!  BUT, on reflection, perhaps not best to paint the image that it is more suited for running a business than being a home in it's own right? So let's remove the 'lucrative business' bit"
01/04/2016,
  • Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'   "Why o why did we miss this omission? It's obvious that 'Premium' will have the buyers flocking to view"
04/03/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: Housenetwork Ltd are pleased to offer The Old Manor House which is a Vast ,Uniquely Magnificent property of approx. 7000 sq ft surrounded A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this ... Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the ordinary, then past 30 years. *No Chain. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in life and refuses to settle approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, by Green Belt Countryside. If you're the type of person who demands Exclusivity and the Finer things separate negotiation  
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,300,000 £1,390,000     "Perhaps better to remove that bit about 'finer things'? We don't want it to appeal only to just pretentious snobs like us. BUT the market is still going up! So that reduction to £1.3million was far too generous.  Let's bump it up a wee bit"
22/02/2016,
  • Brief Description changed: No A Rare Opportunity has arisen to purchase this Property Gem, having been under the present ownership for the past 30 years. *No Chain. Vacant possession upon completion. Annexe. 7 Bedroom / 7 Reception Room, Character Property with Period Features in approx.2 acres *Extremely Lucrative home run business, negotiable. by separate negotiation
  • Price changed: Offers in Region Excess of £1,500,000 £1,300,000     "Lets emphasise that this house could also help the buyers make money too. At this new reduced price we're positively giving it away!"
05/11/2015,
  • Price changed: £1,600,000 Offers in Region of £1,500,000    Six months later, and grudgingly, "OK OK darling. Raising the price wasn't the best move"
06/05/2015,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000 £1,600,000   "Darling the EA says the markets still rising and going great guns, so we can possibly get even more!"
04/03/2015,
  • Status changed: from 'null' to 'Available"Let's make sure viewers of the advert know it's actually for sale"
22/01/2015,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000  "It's been 3 months now. Perhaps if we show we'll bend a little on the price we'll accept? Should add extra appeal"
07/10/2014,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000   "Wow! South of France here we come"
25/06/2014,
  • Initial entry found.     "Darling. I've had enough of living next to the motorway. I think it's time we moved"
Edited by anonguest

24 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Conversely, what advice would an EA be giving in a collapsing market ?  :ph34r:

The vendor comments are absolute gold:

When people ask where we live and we tell them,so many say, excitedly, " But that's my Favourite House " and others joke "When I win the Lottery I am buying your house ". It is a real landmark .Passers-by frequently stop to take photographs and compliment us on having such a beautiful house.

I truly pity the person who has the dream lottery-win aspiration of buying a house like that. Though chances are that conversation never happened.

I also like the bit about passers-by stopping to take photos, but then later on they refer to the "total privacy" the place offers :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, BeyondAJoke said:

The vendor comments are absolute gold:

I truly pity the person who has the dream lottery-win aspiration of buying a house like that. Though chances are that conversation never happened.

I also like the bit about passers-by stopping to take photos, but then later on they refer to the "total privacy" the place offers :rolleyes:

Frankly the whole vendors comment section is cringeworthy and, to me at least, actually hints at desparation to sell.

Given that, so the history listing alludes to, they run a business of some sort they seem profoundly lacking in the requisite business nous to sell their own house.

I will add though, to be fair to them, the building of that house possibly predates the building of the motorway? and even after it came on the scene who could have guessed the sheer level of traffic there is today. In the early days I would guess many would not have overly felt its nearby presence?

So I can sympathise to an extent with those who, with the passge of time, have seen their surrounds change for the worse.

Edited by anonguest

Main problem is, it is totally devoid of character inside and they have thrown in a high maintenance swimming pool (very Tudor). Could be living in any 20th century house, not a single interior shot is very exciting. Could buy the real thing for less.

Edited by crashmonitor

27 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Main problem is, it is totally devoid of character inside and they have thrown in a high maintenance swimming pool (very Tudor). Could be living in any 20th century house, not a single interior shot is very exciting. Could buy the real thing for less.

Needs more twigs.

5 hours ago, Broken biscuit said:

It's about 100 yards from the M6. I suspect that large hedge is a rather desperate attempt at a noise break.

Nobody who is in the market for a large house in a rural location is going to pay £1M to live next to a motorway unless they are deaf and don't like clean air.

There's not even a junction nearby to allow whoever lives there to gain some advantage from the motorway.

Looking at the pictures, they'd have to be blind as well.

So £1 000 000 for a fake mansion with an overlarge bath(I refuse to call it a swimming pool as 29.9 x 29.9 feet doesn't allow much swimming).

In a much sought after area, or not if this property is anything to go by. The furnishings also scream trying too hard.

The Mock Tudor bit might be a bit cheesy but at least it isn't as dreadfully ugly as most modern buildings, doesn't look too bad from the outside. Fully agree with the earlier poster about the lack of character in the interior, but even that's better than the ghastly overcompensation they've done with the furnishings, that one's just laughable. Give me the twigs over that.

47 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The Mock Tudor bit might be a bit cheesy but at least it isn't as dreadfully ugly as most modern buildings, doesn't look too bad from the outside. Fully agree with the earlier poster about the lack of character in the interior, but even that's better than the ghastly overcompensation they've done with the furnishings, that one's just laughable. Give me the twigs over that.

French rococo would be a fine choice in a Loire Valley chateau, but in an English (mock) Tudor mansion, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

This is the dog hydrotherapy one, isn't it?

I'm sure it was previously advertised with the option of the vendors chucking in the dog therapy bit by separate negotiation.

Edited by ChumpusRex

A kitchen and a bedroom without a window....the bathroom is bad enough.....and a bed that moves from bedroom to bedroom or a job-lot.;)

8 hours ago, anonguest said:

I couldn't resist adding my own annotations to the listing history imagining the behind the scenes.......

09/08/2017,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,100,000 £1,000,000   Sob sob sob sob.........
19/05/2017,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000 £1,100,000  "Darling. I think we need to face the truth. Perhaps most people just don't want to live within earshot of the motorway?"
23/03/2017,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,250,000  "Darling I insist we don't take a penny less....."
23/01/2017,
  • Price changed: from '£1,450,000' to '£1,250,000"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE MARKET IS SLOWING? You're suggesting we reduce the price by HOW MUCH?!  WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH PEOPLE? CAN'T THEY RECOGNISE A GEM WHEN THEY SEE IT?"
14/01/2017,
  • Price changed: £1,450,000  "OK, so the word 'fixed' might possibly put off some would be buyers? Got to let them at least feel they can haggle £50 off it....."
12/01/2017,
27/11/2016,
  • Status changed: from 'Premium Listing' to 'Available' "Best re-emphasise it is actually for sale"
17/09/2016,
  • Price changed: Fixed Price £1,450,000  "No more messing about with the price! Not going to waste our time with hagglers. It's obviously worth at least this much!"
15/09/2016,
  • Price changed: Offers in Region of £1,250,000 £1,450,000   "Darling the markets gone up so much it looks like we'll be able to sell it at pretty close to our original price after all!  BUT, on reflection, perhaps not best to paint the image that it is more suited for running a business than being a home in it's own right? So we'll remove the 'lucrative business' bit"
01/04/2016,
  • Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Premium Listing'   "Why o why did we miss this omission? It's obvious that 'Premium' will have the buyers flocking to view"
04/03/2016,
  • Price changed: Offers in Excess of £1,300,000 £1,390,000     "Perhaps better to remove that bit about 'finer things'? We don't want it to appeal only to just pretentious snobs like us. BUT the market is still going up! So that reduction to £1.3million was far too generous.  Let's bump it up a wee bit"
22/02/2016,
  • Price changed: Offers in Region Excess of £1,500,000 £1,300,000     "Lets emphasise that this house could also help the buyers make money too. At this new reduced price we're positively giving it away!"
05/11/2015,
  • Price changed: £1,600,000 Offers in Region of £1,500,000    Six months later, and grudgingly "OK OK darling. Raising the price wasn't the best move"
06/05/2015,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000 £1,600,000   "Darling the EA says the markets still rising and going great guns, so we can possibly get even more!"
04/03/2015,
  • Status changed: from 'null' to 'Available"Let's make sure viewers of the advert know it's actually for sale"
22/01/2015,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000  "It's been 3 months now. Perhaps if we bend a little on the price we'll accept? Should add appeal"
07/10/2014,
  • Price changed: Guide Price £1,500,000   "Wow! South of France here we come"
25/06/2014,
  • Initial entry found.     "Darling. I've had enough of living next to the motorway. I think it's time we moved"

Ha ha, brilliant! ?

5 hours ago, Diver Dan said:

French rococo would be a fine choice in a Loire Valley chateau, but in an English (mock) Tudor mansion, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It looks like the popular-with-Arabs style known as Louis Faroukh. 

The only joy I get out of spending half my life on Rightmove is that I find other people's taste in décor absolutely baffling.  Because it's entirely subjective there is no such thing as good or bad taste, just different, but my word, some people's brains must be wired up so utterly differently from mine that I'm astonished we are the same species!

The floor plans are crazy.   The "dining room" is upstairs from the "second kitchen" and in the opposite wing of the house from the other kitchen.  To reach "bedroom 2" you have to start from the inner hall, go through the garden room and snug, up the spiral staircase and through the storeroom.