HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
2 hours ago, newbonic said:

Probably best eaten near the defibrillator that all Morrison's store now have...

Yes, I wonder if the pastry uses trans-fats?

And only this morning it was reported that Northerners are 20% more likely to suffer premature death. Morrison's didn't exist in the south 15 years ago, so that might explain the statistical difference.

HOLA449
29 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

And only this morning it was reported that Northerners are 20% more likely to suffer premature death. Morrison's didn't exist in the south 15 years ago, so that might explain the statistical difference.

I live not far from Rotherham, and the local rag The Star often does hand wringing 'something must be done' stories about that mortality difference. One wander around town (you wouldn't return) will suggest that if about half of the population stopped stuffing their faces with sausage rolls, kebabs, chips, etc. every meal, then that mortality gap would close.  They imply it's the denizens of Surrey's fault for not frying all their vegetables and not smoking enough. 

Morrisons do have excellent green grocery aisles and bakery. It's not their fault a lot of their northern customers make a beeline for the fizzy drinks, crisps, hot sausage roll and frozen pizza sections. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Who cares, as long as they taste good!

Trans-fats, or whatever, will probably be hailed as healthy in a year or two.

Remember the butter/marge debacle?

HOLA4412

Hold on!!

It's not healthy to eat carbs and fats in the same meal. That's a recipe for putting on weight. You would almost think these foods were designed with only flavour in mind? And no thought for health or nutrition :(

It's funny actually young people nowadays are so health conscious. I feel bad even eating the few unhealthy foods that I do. But a lot of over 40's are eating out everyday or eating fried food or meat everyday at home.

There's a huge knowledge gap there. Obesity is supposed to be bad in this country but half the guys I meet 30 and under are gym rats. The obesity seems to be mostly older people now.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
46 minutes ago, newbonic said:

I live not far from Rotherham, and the local rag The Star often does hand wringing 'something must be done' stories about that mortality difference. One wander around town (you wouldn't return) will suggest that if about half of the population stopped stuffing their faces with sausage rolls, kebabs, chips, etc. every meal, then that mortality gap would close.  They imply it's the denizens of Surrey's fault for not frying all their vegetables and not smoking enough. 

Morrisons do have excellent green grocery aisles and bakery. It's not their fault a lot of their northern customers make a beeline for the fizzy drinks, crisps, hot sausage roll and frozen pizza sections. 

Guess it can be described as cultural.

LBC (James O'Brien) was going on about chip pans. A lot of callers from the north seemed to have chip pans, whereas most of the southerners had parents who'd used chip pans when they were kids, but now they themselves don't.

I also wonder how often people change the oil/dripping etc. I'd only ever use frying oil once, as heating oil up forms carcinogenic aldehydes.  But when I was a kid, my mother would happily use the same oil for a couple of weeks. Also oil choice may be a factor, Corn and Sunflower form more aldehydes than butter/lard or olive oil, though expensive coconut oil is the best (despite having the highest cholesterol scote).

HOLA4415
14 minutes ago, developer said:

Hold on!!

It's not healthy to eat carbs and fats in the same meal. That's a recipe for putting on weight. You would almost think these foods were designed with only flavour in mind? And no thought for health or nutrition :(

It's funny actually young people nowadays are so health conscious. I feel bad even eating the few unhealthy foods that I do. But a lot of over 40's are eating out everyday or eating fried food or meat everyday at home.

There's a huge knowledge gap there. Obesity is supposed to be bad in this country but half the guys I meet 30 and under are gym rats. The obesity seems to be mostly older people now.

It's not a knowledge gap, it's just that some of us prefer live dangerously and eat what we like, which in my case includes a fried breakfast and meat three times a day. Okay, it may get me in the end but I'd rather die of a heart attack than outlive my brain.......... and there's always the bus.... 

HOLA4416

Coming home from town last week and an old dear had checked out by the bus stop. She must have been dead before she hit the floor because her arms were by her side, no effort made to protect her face. A couple of middle aged women were knelt by her side, one was stroking her hair.

I'm 5 yards away, waiting for my bus and thinking that she went out in style and hoping that I'm as lucky when my time comes. She was out and about, living her life. No week long slow deterioration in hospital unable to even drink water, (friends mother). No months of agony waiting for stage 4 cancer to finish you off, (another friends grandmother). No being sharp as a tack with a body that's falling to bits, eyes, ears and legs hardly working, (very sweet great grandmother I knew).

I've no fear of having a heart attack. It's all the other forms of natural death that give me the shivers.

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, John51 said:

Coming home from town last week and an old dear had checked out by the bus stop. She must have been dead before she hit the floor because her arms were by her side, no effort made to protect her face. A couple of middle aged women were knelt by her side, one was stroking her hair.

I'm 5 yards away, waiting for my bus and thinking that she went out in style and hoping that I'm as lucky when my time comes. She was out and about, living her life. No week long slow deterioration in hospital unable to even drink water, (friends mother). No months of agony waiting for stage 4 cancer to finish you off, (another friends grandmother). No being sharp as a tack with a body that's falling to bits, eyes, ears and legs hardly working, (very sweet great grandmother I knew).

I've no fear of having a heart attack. It's all the other forms of natural death that give me the shivers.

Golly. It may sound harsh, but I almost can't be bothered to answer this at all, let alone enumerate in how many ways your thinking is flawed.

Let's see how far I get. Just keep in mind that of the handful of things I mention, maybe 100 x more exist, all equally capable of defeating your views on quality of life.

So let's start with your final statement:

5 hours ago, John51 said:

A "heart attack" is simply an interruption of blood to that special muscle called the heart. Your statement suggests a heart attack will produce a swift death. Such fatal infarctions only represent a small fraction of all attacks.

So what is the usual outcome? Well, all infarctions cause heart muscle death. Think of it like losing some of your articular musculature - say a bicep or calf muscle. Yep, you are still alive. But what about your QoL (Quality of life)? Obviously it will be impaired. Same with heart muscle. Yep, you are still alive. But your heart is now pumping less efficiently. That walk to the bus stop feels like climbing mount Everest, because your heart can't get enough blood through your lungs.

... Okay, I've got other things to do. Look up "heart attack complications" or "prognosis".

... then there's what caused the heart attack - obviously blockages in the coronary artery. But you don't get that w/o blockages elsewhere. Blockages to any organ will cause failure in that organ. It's why the medical profession is so concerned about arterial plaques - otherwise know as atherosclerosis or arteriosclerosis. Here's the gist:

Symptoms of moderate to severe atherosclerosis depend on which arteries are affected. For example:

• If you have atherosclerosis in your heart arteries, you may have symptoms, such as chest pain or pressure (angina).
  • If you have atherosclerosis in the arteries leading to your brain, you may have signs and symptoms such as sudden numbness or weakness in your arms or legs, difficulty speaking or slurred speech, temporary loss of vision in one eye, or drooping muscles in your face. These signal a transient ischemic attack (TIA), which, if left untreated, may progress to a stroke.
  • If you have atherosclerosis in the arteries in your arms and legs, you may have symptoms of peripheral artery disease, such as leg pain when walking (claudication).
  • If you have atherosclerosis in the arteries leading to your kidneys, you develop high blood pressure or kidney failure.

- http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/arteriosclerosis-atherosclerosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20167022

These are just examples. Another might be vascular dementia, the 2nd most common cause of dementia. Or ischemic colitis - which will give you uncontrollable diarrhea. Or retinal vascular occlusion which can send you blind.

There literally are thousands of things that can go wrong when you mess up the body's vascular system. Instant death is just one.

Just read around the subject. You'll soon see that your hoped for instant death is  not so much sausage roll as pie in the sky.

HOLA4418
17 hours ago, developer said:

a lot of over 40's are eating out everyday or eating fried food or meat everyday at home.

Since when is eating meat unhealthy, red meat in partiuclar is one of the most nutrient rich foods available, its almost as absurd as the idea that eggs are unhealthy.

Anyway what the ****** exactly does one eat for a whole day without meat ? - some sort of veggie shite ?, I dont think I've ever gone a whole day not eating meat.

HOLA4419
45 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

Since when is eating meat unhealthy, red meat in partiuclar is one of the most nutrient rich foods available, its almost as absurd as the idea that eggs are unhealthy.

Anyway what the ****** exactly does one eat for a whole day without meat ? - some sort of veggie shite ?, I dont think I've ever gone a whole day not eating meat.

Tofu or fish :D

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
18 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

It's not a knowledge gap, it's just that some of us prefer live dangerously and eat what we like, which in my case includes a fried breakfast and meat three times a day. Okay, it may get me in the end but I'd rather die of a heart attack than outlive my brain.......... and there's always the bus.... 

How do you know you haven't already outlived it? Linky provided to help...

http://www.dignitas.ch/index.php?lang=en

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, John The Pessimist said:

How do you know you haven't already outlived it? Linky provided to help...

http://www.dignitas.ch/index.php?lang=en

I don't think that I have, unless choosing to eat the food I enjoy is considered to be a sign of dementia these days.

I am, however, acutely aware that I am approaching the age where I need to be vigilant and be prepared to take the necessary action in good time should dementia rear it's ugly head, although there is no history of it in my family.

HOLA4423
18 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

It's not a knowledge gap,...rather die of a heart attack than outlive my brain......

It is a knowledge gap as you've clearly never heard of vascular dementia, or stroke.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
19 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Who cares, as long as they taste good!

Trans-fats, or whatever, will probably be hailed as healthy in a year or two.

Remember the butter/marge debacle?

What on earth is your logic here? Natural product was eventually hailed as healthier after years of false science and outright lies

Therefore the logical conclusion is another man-made product already thought of as not great will become 'healthy?

WTF :lol:

Archived