House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

SKY: House Prices: 4 Year Low

This data/headline could have been spun to make it look positive.

Something has definitely changed.  12 months ago this would be...Prices up 0.2%, all time high.....type headline.

http://news.sky.com/story/uk-house-price-growth-hits-four-year-low-10977998

UK house price growth hits four-year low

Again, it's either the collapse is well under way and they're letting teh good news out slowly or they are scaring the boomers in preparation for another EU ref.

Looking at the insane asking prices and the UK G.E result, I'd go with the former as most likely.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Within the capital the summer surge was less pronounced - average rents in London fell by 0.6% in July, after a 2.9% drop in June. But rents there still stand at £1,564 a month - more than double the £769 average, excluding London.

London rents have now been falling for over a year. 

Perhaps they are suggesting a good time to jump in, before prices accelerate away again. Why pay sky high rents, get yourself some cheap debt and buy a house while you can.

Although strictly speaking the title of the thread would have been more accurate if it had said:

"UK House Price Rises Slowest in Four Years", rather than "Sky:  House Prices Four Year Low".  In fact your header would have been more accurate if it had said "UK house prices hit all time high".  

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/07/uk-house-prices-slow-four-year-low-halifax

Public sector pay rise capped at 1% = This is terrible , they need more 

House price increases fall to 2% = This is Terrible the market is struggling blah blah  

So houses ''only'' going up double the rate of pay rises in the public sector ( and most of private sector ) is bad news .....:huh:

2 hours ago, newgi said:

In fact your header would have been more accurate if it had said "UK house prices hit all time high".

Well if you look at the data over the last 12 months it peaked at £222k in Dec16 and is now at £219k so that's not strictly true.

Unless there are significant upward mom movements over the few months then the annual rate will turn negative in Oct/Nov17.

1 hour ago, PalmerEldritch said:

Well if you look at the data over the last 12 months it peaked at £222k in Dec16 and is now at £219k so that's not strictly true.

Unless there are significant upward mom movements over the few months then the annual rate will turn negative in Oct/Nov17.

Depending on where you look.  Nationwide have the average house price at £205k in Q4 2016 and £210k now.  

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/download-data#xtab:uk-series

Download data since 1952.

If you want to compare year on year, using Nationwide again, then:

Q2 2014   £186k

Q2 2015   £194k

Q2 2016   £204k

Q2 2017   £209k

4 hours ago, newgi said:

Depending on where you look.  Nationwide have the average house price at £205k in Q4 2016 and £210k now.  

Well the thread title is regarding the latest Halifax data so I figured it made sense to refer to those?

31 minutes ago, PalmerEldritch said:

Well the thread title is regarding the latest Halifax data so I figured it made sense to refer to those?

It did.

However newgi is only interested in price rises

4 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

It did.

Overall perspective of business sentiment is an indicator of how the market view housing affordability?

14 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

It did.

And yet no issues with the completely misleading thread title?  :P  There are agendas on here but not only mine.

I can understand CoundofNowhere trying to get me banished to the Troll section but I think its right that I pointed out that he tried to sell his house at what he admits is an inflated price, sold at the top of the market but also tried to buy at the top too.  Since then he has been on here making posts on anything which is negative to the housing market (and even some things he has made look negative when they are not).  If its trolling to point out that someone with a very poor track record in buying and selling is posting advice to others then I am indeed a troll.  :o

24 minutes ago, newgi said:

I can understand CoundofNowhere trying to get me banished to the Troll section but I think its right that I pointed out that he tried to sell his house at what he admits is an inflated price, sold at the top of the market but also tried to buy at the top too.  Since then he has been on here making posts on anything which is negative to the housing market (and even some things he has made look negative when they are not).  If its trolling to point out that someone with a very poor track record in buying and selling is posting advice to others then I am indeed a troll.  :o

For goodness sake.

A lot of people have been on this site for over 10 years as they were priced out for whatever reason. They probably know more than most people will ever know about the state of the market.

IMO I don't believe they need to be led to water in terms of vested interests from either side of the argument.