House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PropertyMania

Housewarming gifts - wtf?

Friends now in the habit of giving quite generous housewarming gifts, but ONLY IF THEY BUY (not rent). I mean seriously, wtf? As a renter I've already gifted them £thousands with below inflation interest rates and a bunch of govt props (paid for through tax), not to mention the general under taxing of housing (no CGT etc). To remain socially included, I;m now going to have to gift them £hundreds more in the form of property paraphernalia.

Why not go the way of weddings and email your friends "The greatest gift is your presence, but if you do want to give a housewarming gift, money towards our extension would be much appreciated. Sort code 12-34-56 account number 12345678". (Note: Once completed expect to have to give an extension warming gift)

Heard of people giving them. Didn't think it was really the norm, except maybe a bottle of wine from a close friend. Even allowing for the fact I'm not exactly Mr Social I've not given or received any.

12 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Heard of people giving them. Didn't think it was really the norm, ...

Au contraire old bean.

House warming parties are part of our shared heritage. You rock up with 12 cans of special brew or 3 litres of nasty cider, play music loud enough to annoy the new neighbours, dance badly and eat copious quantities of hydrogenated oil-infused acrylamides, redeeming yourself briefly by a cacophonous delivery of the traditional house warming gift: a pizza-sized splat of warm vomit, directed hopefully at that distasteful carpet your hosts were looking for an excuse to replace.

The house, having been liberally sprayed with the whole gamut of bodily fluids, can then lend itself to a full, guilt-free, redecoration.

'Course, nowadays people are ripping out entire kitchens installed only to sell a property. But that just demonstrates the wasteful creatures we have become.

My advice : stick with tradition. Offer the hosts a sizeable quantity of your own vomit and nothing more.

11 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Au contraire old bean.

House warming parties are part of our shared heritage. You rock up with 12 cans of special brew or 3 litres of nasty cider, play music loud enough to annoy the new neighbours, dance badly and eat copious quantities of hydrogenated oil-infused acrylamides, redeeming yourself briefly by a cacophonous delivery of the traditional house warming gift: a pizza-sized splat of warm vomit, directed hopefully at that distasteful carpet your hosts were looking for an excuse to replace.

A party, maybe. Been meaning to do that but never did, and it wouldn't have had the loud music thing ('coz I don't like loud music blaring out anyway). No special brew or cheap cider either. Maybe I'm just too unsociable and snobbish.

6 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

At least they haven't invited you to a decorating party. 

I've had a few Facebook round robins for those. They always seem a bit cheeky especially the btl/accidental landlord ones.

6 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

Went to a gardening party once, bring your own tools, given a patch of garden to dig and weed.....food and drink for afters.;)

7 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

:lol:

Now that I come to think of it, I have been to at least one of those. Complete chaos.

My mate, whose flat it was, took to rollering the ceiling while everybody else was busying themselves with wallpaper removal / sanding woodwork. It was only when one of us turned from the job and alerted the rest that we all realised we'd been liberally pebble-dashed in "white - a shade of apple". By the time we all got home, the stuff had set firm. Luke warm rain- water and Timotei were quickly given the heave-ho in favour of a steam cleaner and two jars of neat Swarfega. Happy days!

2 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

That was so 70s. 

probably mid nineties ... though maybe my Mockney usage of the phrase "happy days" has you harking back to the days of Fonzie ...

Now there's another memory from about the same time:

Same mate. I'm his Best Man. All togged up. Waiting outside some manor house of a hotel for my ride to the church. Up pulls his brother, similarly kitted, in some top end Merc (meant something then) we had loan of for the day. I get in. Feeling a tad nervous, speech an' all. "Ready?" says he. "Think so," say I. Then he presses play on the in-car entertainment and Jimmi's guitar rasps our ears. Then the bass kicks in. And just like that, the nerves were gone.

18 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Now there's another memory from about the same time:

Same mate. I'm his Best Man. All togged up. Waiting outside some manor house of a hotel for my ride to the church. Up pulls his brother, similarly kitted, in some top end Merc (meant something then) we had loan of for the day. I get in. Feeling a tad nervous, speech an' all. "Ready?" says he. "Think so," say I. Then he presses play on the in-car entertainment and Jimmi's guitar rasps our ears. Then the bass kicks in. And just like that, the nerves were gone.

Great stuff!  Vintage.