House Price Crash Forum

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44145936.html

Advertised as a 1-bed house, but does not explicitly state, in the list of rooms/dimensions, a bedroom.  Could it be the attic room referred to? I'm guessing that the use of the term 'restricted headroom' is going to be a gross understatement, judging by the external photo.

Whenever an EA advertises something with the word SPACIOUS in uppercase letters one can always assume it will be anything but!

I'm not even going to discuss the price and location.

Perhaps the description should more accurately be "1 bedroom detached Wendy House for sale"?

Edited by anonguest

This market moved into the realm of the surreal a few years ago. Nothing shocks me anymore. Disgusts me, Yes. Shock? No.

Also presumably a former garage (or spot where garage/car parking space would originally have been intended)?  and formerly part of the now neighbours property?

I'll bet these canny developers vote Tory? but, at the same time, will fail to understand why Corbyn (and his brand of politics) will almost certainly be swept into power by around 2020, if not sooner.

Edited by anonguest

19 minutes ago, anonguest said:

This market moved into the realm of the surreal a few years ago. Nothing shocks me anymore. Disgusts me, Yes. Shock? No.

Also presumably a former garage (or spot where garage/car parking space would originally have been intended)?  and formerly part of the now neighbours property?

I'll bet these canny developers vote Tory? but, at the same time, will fail to understand why Corbyn (and his brand of politics) will almost certainly be swept into power by around 2020, if not sooner.

There is nothing particularly Tory about property development or BTL. A friend of mine who is a Labour party activist, on the left wing of the party, added a garage sized studio onto the side of his house. 

While the prices might be insane, I don't see anything wrong with adding to the housing supply - far better than BTL.

7 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

There is nothing particularly Tory about property development or BTL. A friend of mine who is a Labour party activist, on the left wing of the party, added a garage sized studio onto the side of his house. 

While the prices might be insane, I don't see anything wrong with adding to the housing supply - far better than BTL.

OK. Fair comment re: Tories.  Tis true. We all know Labour luvvies are just as big into BTL, etc.

Indeed in principle nothing is actually wrong with that 400K 'house'. The issue is of course the price! That is the surreal bit.

On 06/08/2017 at 10:58 AM, anonguest said:

OK. Fair comment re: Tories.  Tis true. We all know Labour luvvies are just as big into BTL, etc.

Indeed in principle nothing is actually wrong with that 400K 'house'. The issue is of course the price! That is the surreal bit.

+1.  You can get much nicer than that 400k in South East London for a very similar price.

Not just new Labour  -Michael Meacher was pretty old Labour and had lots of homes.  I really hope none of his [now his wife's or children's] many tenants vote Labour, because they are anti BTL.

https://order-order.com/2015/10/21/rip-michael-meacher/

The Surbiton house is a former garage of an end of terrace house, hence opens onto adjacent road. There are a couple on that street, the other is rented out. Both are perfectly pleasant for singletons, but the price is surprising given that the main house would probably market at c£750k but would be several times bigger.

1 hour ago, Naz said:

The Surbiton house is a former garage of an end of terrace house, hence opens onto adjacent road. There are a couple on that street, the other is rented out. Both are perfectly pleasant for singletons, but the price is surprising given that the main house would probably market at c£750k but would be several times bigger.

i would happily pay 30k for it 

That would be pretty much my dream house, I find even a 2 up 2 down is far too big for my needs!

Knock the 1 off the asking price and I'd snap it up.

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

I actually quite like that. Will give you £100k for it.

Really?!

Take a closer look at the bath and restricted headroom, to name just one (of many) reservations/concerns.

It's a very clever/creative use of limited space overall, I'll grant you, but.....£100K ?

EDIT UPDATE:

TAking a second look myself at the exterior photo and I can see possible room for a modest side extension? Heck! That could add another 200K to the price at the rate things are going! :o

Edited by anonguest

4 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Really?!

Take a closer look at the bath and restricted headroom, to name just one (of many) reservations/concerns.

It's a very clever/creative use of limited space overall, I'll grant you, but.....£100K ?

A quarter of the asking price is reasonable, is it not?!

How much HPC are you hoping for?

9 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

A quarter of the asking price is reasonable, is it not?!

How much HPC are you hoping for?

Oh you poor fellow. You too are starting to show signs of having caught the dreaded HPI with all its various symtoms. One such being becoming numbed into thinking 100K is cheap just because it is relative to the lunacy of other prices - rather than see the price in its own right.

I might start to 'bite' at that IF it were.....ummmm maybe £70K-ish?  After all, as I said, the sellers/builders have added some bona fide value to what was a bog standard suburban garage. Plus there also appears further scope to extend a wee bit too! 

How much HPC am I expecting?

Biblical proportions! :P

Edited by anonguest

This is the same as the beach huts at Mudeford in Dorset, they are literally 10 x 10 sheds on Christchurch spit - its the same level of madness. 

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15188374.Now_it_costs___275_000_to_buy_a_beach_hut_at_Mudeford___the_same_as_a_three_bedroom_house_in_Boscombe/

When i see this level of mania (stupidity) in property prices and how distant reality and fairness is now i cant wait to watch the whole fuking lot burn.

8 hours ago, anonguest said:

Oh you poor fellow. You too are starting to show signs of having caught the dreaded HPI with all its various symtoms. One such being becoming numbed into thinking 100K is cheap just because it is relative to the lunacy of other prices - rather than see the price in its own right.

I might start to 'bite' at that IF it were.....ummmm maybe £70K-ish?  After all, as I said, the sellers/builders have added some bona fide value to what was a bog standard suburban garage. Plus there also appears further scope to extend a wee bit too! 

How much HPC am I expecting?

Biblical proportions! :P

:D

Don't you worry about me. Fortunately I live in a nice part of Scotland where decent houses can be purchased for reasonable amounts!