House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilverunderwater

Paving help, final 5%

See attached an image of my DIY garden patio project! The shed sits nicely, tucked at one end and the 39 pavers fit neatly recessed into the ridiculously robust concrete. Once complete this should make what was a dead space that accumulated mounds of dirty and debris over the years into a practical, compact barbecue area that receives the last corner of our summer sun.

Currently loose, the slabs need to be set permanently in place and the five blob method seems like a cheat too far. Conundrum is that I only have 0.5cm-0.75cm to build up before the pavers sit proud. Level surface (I don't care where the rain drains as it's into my neighbours garden).

Best way to finish the job please, the last 5%?

thanks 

If you do the supporting courses properly you shouldn't need to set them in place. Bit of fine sand on top of your concrete/sand course then tap them into place. Not as easy as I've made it sound, but far superior to spot bedding. The trick is all in how diligent you've been about the under-courses. I did my mother-in-law's about 15 years back and it's never moved a mm

On 05/08/2017 at 5:25 PM, frozen_out said:

If you do the supporting courses properly you shouldn't need to set them in place. Bit of fine sand on top of your concrete/sand course then tap them into place. Not as easy as I've made it sound, but far superior to spot bedding. The trick is all in how diligent you've been about the under-courses. I did my mother-in-law's about 15 years back and it's never moved a mm

Thank you. 

A wet mix  4 soft sand 1 cement will make it easy to give you a 5mm bed. Your flags would be much better laid bonded (like a brick wall) than having it all straight jointed, looks better and much stronger. Point the joints as this gives 70% of the strength of the finished job (in the same way as grouting does with tiling). Easiest way to do is mix dry soft sand and cement together and brush it into the joints and make sure you get the joints completley filled and compacted (its not a quick job and you may get bored doining it but persevere to do it well first time around. Use a rubber mallet when bedding the flags onto your mix or they will break. 

Btw, you a fair way off the last 5% of the job.