House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Young tenants under 35 in crisis as landlords turn them away

"Because young people are more likely to be in insecure employment and, thanks to the last coalition government, are entitled to significantly lower levels of housing benefits, property owners are increasingly deciding it’s not worth the risk to take them on as tenants."

And your taxes subsidise the Landlords that reject you.

The only silver lining to this for some is that they are still considered "young" in their early 30s.

Not long ago you might have expected to own a house and have a family by this age. But these days you are considered to immature to even be allowed to rent. 

7 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

It's criminal what the politicians have allowed the Uk to become.

If this is capitalism, I want something else.

34 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

The only silver lining to this for some is that they are still considered "young" in their early 30s.

Not long ago you might have expected to own a house and have a family by this age. But these days you are considered to immature to even be allowed to rent. 

Lass I went to school with was a granny at 32 :lol: 

When I was brought up a lot of people were married and had a kid by 22, so by 35 the kids would have almost finished school

This was not the exception, this was the norm

30 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Its no capitalism , its state subsidised cronyism.

S24 an the upcoming Basel3 changes on IO BTL go sky high. Fckem stnuc.

For years now it has amazed me how apathetic the young are and how easily they seem to rollover  and show their under bellies, by young I suppose I mean the under 35's. These people have got every reason to be protesting on the street, and month after month governments and society seems to be sticking the knife into them more and more. I am not talking about when some local gangster in the inner city is knocked about by the police or even shot and then the local neighbourhood who are usually gangsters themselves start screaming injustice and start rioting, in all probability they had it coming. No, I am talking about all these young adults educating themselves, working harder than what we were in my generation which is somewhere between the baby boomer and these youngsters, and don't let these baby boomers  lecture you on hard work. Just google some of the working practices pre Maggie Thatcher and a while after, if there was ever a purpose for Maggie it was to shake up the laziness of its union protected workers back then.

There is a whole generation out there being used as hosts by probably the most parasitic older generation in British history, how on earth are they not marching in the streets in their millions is beyond me. Who knows, probably it takes just that one special charismatic person to come along and lead them.

2 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

For years now it has amazed me how apathetic the young are and how easily they seem to rollover  and show their under bellies, by young I suppose I mean the under 35's.

You must have missed the rioting around 2011 and 2012 where they tore London apart aswell many other towns and cities and got some of the most archaic sentences ive ever seen.

43 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Its no capitalism , its state subsidised cronyism.

S24 an the upcoming Basel3 changes on IO BTL go sky high. Fckem stnuc.

Indeed. There is nothing "free market" about UK housing. 

11 minutes ago, oatbake said:

Indeed. There is nothing "free market" about UK housing. 

Spot on.

Brings me full circle to, why are the young not protesting on a daily basis ?  Simply too poor ?

1 hour ago, Habitationi Bulla said:

You must have missed the rioting around 2011 and 2012 where they tore London apart aswell many other towns and cities and got some of the most archaic sentences ive ever seen.

NO, I never missed it.

And how did it all begin?

I would of prefered to see people marching on the streets and trying to articulate the gross injustices this  WORKING generation have  rather than see grubby little rioters trying to profit from something they probably never even cared about all that much.

But yes, some of the sentences dished for someone looting a cheap pair of trainers compared with the mass city bankers  criminalty that got away with £ Billions of fraud and never even got a slapped wrist. But you have to consider we were in an era where only little earlier Gordon Brown up until the last hour was desperately trying to conceal the MP's expences scandal.

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Spot on.

Brings me full circle to, why are the young not protesting on a daily basis ?  Simply too poor ?

I have a theory on this which I can't quite formulate but here goes anyway:

Young people are programmed on a daily basis from birth consciously and subconsciously by every form of media, and by their parents generation (who LOVE high house prices) to aspire to getting on the housing ladder, then moving up the ladder and ending up in a nice family home by the time they are forty, just like their parents did.

Cognitive dissonance will never allow their parents to entertain the possibility the ladder is a pyramid shaped DEBTponziBUBBLE so the further away the dream gets for their children, the MORE they will subconsciously highlight the gap to their children, thus instilling the notion of failure into their children, intentionally or otherwise.

There appears to be no outlet pretty much anywhere for young people who feel like they have failed at life simply because they will never afford the house their parents could afford, save for drugs, alcohol, mental illness, or HPC.co.uk so the majority keep their heads down in silent shame and get on with their lives as best they can.

Protesting about high house prices in this country would be seen as "jealousy" "laziness" "greed" "envy" as we are repeatedly programmed that way. What is the outlet for a twenty/thirty something who feels they have worked hard done the right thing but will never afford a home of their own? They are resigned to the fact they just didn't work hard enough so quietly get on with it. 

20 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Spot on.

I think its due to their parents and grandparents having plenty of money.I see grandparents passing down thousands every year to grandchildren.I have a retired policeman and teacher in my close.Retired at 50.Probably the highest income in the close and retired.Bought the granddaughter a car,paid her deposit on a house,pay for her holdiday abroad every year etc.

The 2nd highest income in my close is a benefit family (if you count their housing benefit as well).They have 3 of their 4 kids down on DLA for behaviour.The oldest daughter has secured her own home.She has had a kid at 17.She has a brand new car as well.Her grandmas mobility car.The younger people in my close who work dont seem to have much.So the people who have the most,do the least.Most of this came from just the Brown years.Incredible really.

12 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Spot on.

Unfortunately the reason may be the blindly obvious: that most have in fact bought into the same meme as their elders. I realize this is not a popular view here but it is, let's face it, the common sense answer.

Many if not most young people take their parents as a reference point (I'm reluctant to use the term "role model") and in fact do want the same things as they did. The fact that they may be deluded and that it's no longer possible is beside the point. For instance many say that they assume that there won't be a state pension by the time they retire but I suspect they don't really believe that.

More generally most have seen the rewards their parents have from "towing the line" and they see things in the same way; the inherent optimism of the young wins out over analytical thought.

1 minute ago, thewig said:

Young people are programmed on a daily basis from birth consciously and subconsciously by every form of media, and by their parents generation (who LOVE high house prices) to aspire to getting on the housing ladder, then moving up the ladder and ending up in a nice family home by the time they are forty, just like their parents did.

Cognitive dissonance will never allow their parents to entertain the possibility the ladder is a pyramid shaped DEBTponziBUBBLE so the further away the dream gets for their children, the MORE they will subconsciously highlight the gap to their children, thus instilling the notion of failure into their children, intentionally or otherwise.

There appears to be no outlet pretty much anywhere for young people who feel like they have failed at life simply because they will never afford the house their parents could afford, save for drugs, alcohol, mental illness, or HPC.co.uk so the majority keep their heads down in silent shame and get on with their lives as best they can.

Protesting about high house prices in this country would be seen as "jealousy" "laziness" "greed" "envy" as we are repeatedly programmed that way. What is the outlet for a twenty/thirty something who feels they have worked hard done the right thing but will never afford a home of their own? They are resigned to the fact they just didn't work hard enough so quietly get on with it. 

You may want to read my new book:

The rise of the sheeple

2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

inded, I find it impossible to argue against Corbyn's future election.

8 hours ago, Habitationi Bulla said:

Has a society ever screwed its young over this much in favour of another generation.

More generally, the entire nation has been stuffed...it will just take some years to realise that eating our babies was not a good idea.

13 minutes ago, thewig said:

That is actually quite good and of course correct.

What kind of older generation gets what they want by making one or two generrations below it feel as insecure as they do now through name calling, that is such a good point.

I have said it before on this thread and will say it again, just check what this so hard working baby boomer generation were like leading up to the late 1970's. You could sit in a BT office on the payroll and play cards for weeks and go un-noticed, the post office workers doing nigh shift were in the pub half the night while being paid, and British Leyland, that place was incredible, you have to check it out, and there were many others too many to mention

I am off to Lidl in a few hours, never have I seen such efficient, hard working, polite workers in my life for such an un skilled job. I know where I am going recruiting should I need some more staff.

1 hour ago, wotsthat said:

Who knows, probably it takes just that one special charismatic person to come along and lead them.

Problem is it is likely to be Owen Jones.

6 minutes ago, Si1 said:

inded, I find it impossible to argue against Corbyn's future election.

I have been troubled about voting for Corbyn, and the main reason is that he has stated that he will not fry millions to death in a blinding flash of destruction using a nuclear weapon, what does that say about me.

Yes I have huge issues with the likes of Abbot and Jess Philips, but at least the Labour party is now giving some hope. Sod it I am voting for them, and once they have given the UK back it's soul I will vote the evil Tories back in to sort the mess out :)

I don't do voting any more since I saw the red/blue illusion for what it is. But this Corbyn fellow on the face of it is the closest thing I've seen to a real person for years.

Disclaimer: I thought Nick Clegg was a real person for a bit after his performance on telly where he remembered the audience members' NAMES when he was speaking to them. SWOON!

33 minutes ago, wotsthat said:

NO, I never missed it.

And how did it all begin?

I would of prefered to see people marching on the streets and trying to articulate the gross injustices this  WORKING generation have  rather than see grubby little rioters trying to profit from something they probably never even cared about all that much.

But yes, some of the sentences dished for someone looting a cheap pair of trainers compared with the mass city bankers  criminalty that got away with £ Billions of fraud and never even got a slapped wrist. But you have to consider we were in an era where only little earlier Gordon Brown up until the last hour was desperately trying to conceal the MP's expences scandal.

So its got to be a specific kind of protest to suit you.

You seem to have forgotten about the students who marched in their masses ok a bit of bother but on the whole peaceful.

The archaic sentences from the shopping spree relate to people saying lets start a riot on facebook, then going to be and work the next day.