House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

The Cost Of No Social Housing

Just a bit of a rant. Was sat on a bus last night and overheard the girl in fron t of me talking on the phone. She was talking about getting herself a place to live, and was obviously not in work from the conversation. On the phone she was saying that she'd found a flat, but that at 800pcm she was't sure if the council would fork out for it.

Well, to be honest this had my blood boiling that there was even a possibility that the council would pay 800pcm to house her - that's more than some people take home in their pay packet!

So I did a quick check with a buddy who works for the local council. Apparently just my borough of west london the housing benefit and council tax payments made in the 2004-2005 year were in excess of £110 million. I wonder what the cost of maintaining the social housing would be to house the same number of people....?

I while back (2002), I was made redundant.

It took 6 months to get another job.

In the mean time I tried to claim the benefits that I had paid for through tax etc.

You get:

1) Job seekers allowance ~£40 pw

2) No need to pay council tax

3) The council normally pays for your rent.

Now 2 took 4-5 months to get anywhere with.

I ended up paying council tax, from my savings.

Then to top it all off I was told I wasn't allowed 3 because I was under the age of 25.

So this girl is going to get nothing. She doesn't realise it yet.

When councils do pay your rent, they only give as much as a bedsit in your local area.

In the mean time I tried to claim the benefits that I had paid for through tax etc.

You get:

Then to top it all off I was told I wasn't allowed 3 because I was under the age of 25.

When councils do pay your rent, they only give as much as a bedsit in your local area.

You sure about that? Maybe it's all changed, but they certainly paid rent to under 25's the last time I signed on. And what about the massive mortgages you used of hear of being paid by benefits?

You get:

if she was a single mother she might get it,over here in ireland every person on social welfare gets their private rent paid (around 600euro month rising to a grand for single mothers) a lot of people are better off on the dole here than in a min wage job.

She did have a kid with her, so maybe she'll get it.

The area I'm in has pretty low unemployment so I wonder what the cost is in areas which aren't so lucky? 110m + seems like a ludicrously large number to me....

Just a bit of a rant. Was sat on a bus last night and overheard the girl in fron t of me talking on the phone. She was talking about getting herself a place to live, and was obviously not in work from the conversation. On the phone she was saying that she'd found a flat, but that at 800pcm she was't sure if the council would fork out for it.

Well, to be honest this had my blood boiling that there was even a possibility that the council would pay 800pcm to house her - that's more than some people take home in their pay packet!

So I did a quick check with a buddy who works for the local council. Apparently just my borough of west london the housing benefit and council tax payments made in the 2004-2005 year were in excess of £110 million. I wonder what the cost of maintaining the social housing would be to house the same number of people....?

I read a thread on another forum where a thirty year old man who had been unemployed for five years was complaining about the cost of housing. He had been I'll for two years and unable to work but had his rent of £700 per month paid through his benefits. He's spent three years trying to find a job which would pay enough to allow him to pay the rent himself and leave him with at least the same amount of money after travelling costs that he receives at the moment.

I think he had been advised that he would need to earn £18,000 pa - good going for an low skilled employee with a dodgy emploment history! The DHSS apparently took this level of required earnings into account when checking his efforts to find a job. I suggested that he moved into a shared house like the rest of us!

Edited by a j

They pay up to what they identify is the market rent (or maybe a bit more). But there is a point here. As long as you are down and out and unemployed you are entitled to your own self contained accommodation. If you work your housing status no longer matters. There are serious discincentives to work in the entire benefit system and nobody has ever bothered to map it as a whole rather than adding a bit or reshaping their little bit of the jigsaw. Nowonder the picture is FKD.

EDIT:

It also stabilises rent at the top of the market and is another bit of the housing bubble support grid.

Edited by Elizabeth

In places like london the lack of social housing is of course socially destructive on a huge scale.

Basically, if you're, say, a single person on a low wage you will have to live in a dire HMO slums forever. You can go on a waiting list, but your needs will gain you few points, so we're talking about a wait approaching a decade.

You can get points by having a kid, or being vulnerable in some way, so it's worth getting diagnosed with a mental illness at least.

Without sounding like one of the forum's majority of right winger who can of course have a better quality of life if you qualify for help, living in the heart of London, on benefits than, say, a lower-middle class couple faced with either a grand a month rent for a flithy private flat or an expensive season ticket and a mammoth commute.

The solution, though, is not to punish benefits claiments but to create a situation where normal workers can have a decent standard of accomodation near to where they work. This could involve, amoung other things, a clamp-down on BTL mortgages and speculation, a major investment on proper council housing with a portion ring-fenced for those in work.

Or work no more than 16 hours a week, cause at that point you stop becoming a social problem and start having to internalise your angst at your sh*tty housing situation:

Trap 1: If Housing Benefit were paid to low paid full-time workers it would sustain a high rent market. In other words industry would not have to pay the cost of production (if you applied absorbsion costing to wage determination, a roof overhead constitutes part of labour costs)

Trap 2: If you don't pay the benefit after 16 hours work then a great number of people would be far better off on benefits and the only things that stops them is the chains in their minds that say "I don't want to be a parasite"!

Hence

• Those who are vulnerable... there really are vulnerable people and unless you want to bring back the gas chamber, there has to be a social response.
  • Those who are cynical (all with the noblest personal outclause) prosper by declaring themselves vulnerable.
  • Those who truly want to do the right thing, and have the wherewithall to do anything at all live in HMOs (and for their trouble, if they work for Councils, get called parasites anyway by the self-righteous right wing who have found some other higher end manipulation of the system).