House Price Crash Forum
deadlyavenger

Londoners realising living in London is unsustainable...

...and generally a steaming pile of poo...lolz

This was posted on the FB wall of a relatives of mine who lives in London, with the comment how it's impossible to raise family because of the ludicrous house prices and general costs etc.

Very revealing. Are Londoners finally realising the emperor (aka Landan Taaarn) has no clothes on??

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/31/leaving-london-means-i-can-afford-kids-readers-on-why-the-capital-lost-its-sparkle?CMP=fb_gu

25 minutes ago, deadlyavenger said:

This was posted on the FB wall of a relatives of mine who lives in London, with the comment how it's impossible to raise family because of the ludicrous house prices and general costs etc.

Very revealing. Are Londoners finally realising the emperor (aka Landan Taaarn) has no clothes on??

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/31/leaving-london-means-i-can-afford-kids-readers-on-why-the-capital-lost-its-sparkle?CMP=fb_gu

Londons OK i you are on benefits and can live with the rest of the people on benefits in London*

Or if you are earning well over 200k.

For anyone else its shit.

* - I think this option will change with benefit reforms

This data coming out does suggest that the exodus has gotten considerably worse recently (80% higher than 5yrs ago - according to article) and in my mind - as for many things - the cost of living is absolutely the core of it. 

When you're younger everything in London is great - you might be spunking 60-70% of your wages on some dirty flat but you're out all the time and you dont really care.

But even as you get older/wiser & hopefully better paid, its not surprising that people become increasingly aware that the cost is prohibitive & even worse that it might be preventing them from moving on with what used to be very normal and achievable goals (marry/buy house/have kids).

It just isn't possible in London anymore, unless you are one of the few.

I'm not surprised to hear that the data is showing a disillusioned part of society leaving London in larger numbers... I'll be joining them in the next year or two!

There has been white flight from London for a while now. Whites are already a minority (48%) and this will get worse and worse as the years go by.

29 minutes ago, deadlyavenger said:

Some interesting comments, many seem to have taken the red pill and can see it for what is but a lot still in deep denial.  What does it matter if there is world class opera, museums  and theater in London if your too skint from paying for your zone 5-6 bedsit and all you can do is stay in and watch youtube over a bottle of Tesco's value wine.

Being the Guardian though no one can seem to name the elephant in the room, mass immigration, why it is happening and it's effect on the city.

There used to be reasonable places to live with a buzz and things happening. Now even places like new cross, mile end and Walthamstow are out of reach for many people to rent a room in.

Hardly anyone I know in london under 40 plans to stay there.

.......has got to be all about value for money, that takes into consideration quality of life, safety, security, community and peace of mind.....swings and roundabouts.....some prefer the swing others the roundabout.;)

13 minutes ago, BearlyBegun said:

This data coming out does suggest that the exodus has gotten considerably worse recently (80% higher than 5yrs ago - according to article) and in my mind - as for many things - the cost of living is absolutely the core of it. 

When you're younger everything in London is great - you might be spunking 60-70% of your wages on some dirty flat but you're out all the time and you dont really care.

But even as you get older/wiser & hopefully better paid, its not surprising that people become increasingly aware that the cost is prohibitive & even worse that it might be preventing them from moving on with what used to be very normal and achievable goals (marry/buy house/have kids).

It just isn't possible in London anymore, unless you are one of the few.

I'm not surprised to hear that the data is showing a disillusioned part of society leaving London in larger numbers... I'll be joining them in the next year or two!

I'm another one looking to bail out of the insanity that is London, got a well paid job working from home starting soon so I can go anywhere in the UK now and looking at completely relocating far away from the hell of overcrowding, commuting and overpriced accommodation. Shockingly the Mrs has decided to quit her job of 20 years just so we don't have to be tied to it anymore.

It doesn't make financial sense to stay as we are not entitled to any benefits or earn anywhere near the amounts required to have a decent life in London.

why is the photo of the Madrid bar relevant ??  Is that to rub in the extortionate prices and poor service in London pubs...I think we all know that...plus anyone with any sense knows living working renting in London is a mug's came.

51 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Londons OK i you are on benefits and can live with the rest of the people on benefits in London*

Or if you are earning well over 200k.

For anyone else its shit.

* - I think this option will change with benefit reforms

Changing benefits would make London a lot cheaper again.  Just say no HB for anyone for more than 6 months (1 week if you are a single parent with no skills) and prices would be wonderfully cheap.  Sadly the pro single parent brigade and BTLs would join forces to stop this.

Edited by iamnumerate

Who says that other places in the UK would take London benefit claimants anyway.....sure you can't up sticks and move to where you fancy else they all would be doing it.;)

6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Changing benefits would make London a lot cheaper again.  Just say no HB for anyone for more than 6 months (1 week if you are a single parent with no skills) and prices would be wonderfully cheap.  Sadly the pro single parent brigade and BTLs would join forces to stop this.

That was very quick for the pro single parent brigade to come charging in. 

1 minute ago, winkie said:

Who says that other places in the UK would take London benefit claimants anyway.....sure you can't up sticks and move to where you fancy else they all would be doing it.;)

1) A lot of people on benefits in London wouldn't even be in the UK if it were not for the benefit system.

2) Why would people whose housing is free move?  I live in a boring suburb - I wouldn't if I didn't have to pay for it.

2 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Rents are cheap in London and have been for decades. If only people would get over their obsession with buying property life wouldn't seem so bad.

??

Look at this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49418601.html

£1900 pcm for a 3 bed in Catford.  In the same road it was £87k to buy 20 years ago - so about £110K if it had gone up with inflation a lot cheaper than renting is today.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/87-farley-road/london/se6-2af/20936773

This is becoming a popular subject on this board, and definitely for me as an ex Wimbledon boy.

I have a huge family with an Irish background that started to settle in London and various other places pre WW2. Many of mine and families best memories happened in London, and until the day I die my heart will always be in London.

Like I said, huge family well into the 100's, all work and I know of nobody who ever had a welfare payment, not saying it never happened, just don't know about it and  probably the shame, not that there should be, would have prevented some from admitting it.. There are no babies outside sound strong relationships and a range of workers from one who had a Doctorate in chemistry to a few Murphys workers, I have a great family who I am proud of, grafters the lot of them.

I would now say 90% plus have left, it's not a place to be just a salf of the earth honest  grafter with just a normal job and no more ambition than to have a OK family home. These days you are forced to play the system for what you can get or not survive, hence why a huge majority of my family have moved out

6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

??

Look at this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49418601.html

£1900 pcm for a 3 bed in Catford.  In the same road it was £87k to buy 20 years ago - so about £110K if it had gone up with inflation a lot cheaper than renting is today.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/87-farley-road/london/se6-2af/20936773

Dss fodder. There's 3 beds in east Dulwich for that. Also 1900 is the equivalent of dividends on about 450k of shares.

11 minutes ago, B63 said:

Where outside of London would you recommend moving to that offers good value?

I would be looking East in South Herts where the North South Cross Rail is coming through. (or easy access to say Hoddesden, Ware)

Further out bit of a pain if you are have to go into London

South Herts the east side not Watford Kings Langley etc still feels a bit sleepy and even now easy and cheap into London

Edited by Greg Bowman

8 minutes ago, B63 said:

Where outside of London would you recommend moving to that offers good value?

I was up in the North West Highlands only days ago, it's like another world up there, Ullapool was the most populated, it reminded me in great detail how over populated we are down here.

Bit far to go though :)

5 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Dss fodder. There's 3 beds in east Dulwich for that. Also 1900 is the equivalent of dividends on about 450k of shares.

Well I am glad that you think £1900 pcm is cheap - I wish I had that much money.  However I think I might be in the majority here.

Edited by iamnumerate

8 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Well I am glad that you think £1900 pcm is cheap - I wish I had that much money.  However I think I might be in the majority here.

£1,900 would be a repayment mortgage on a decent family home in Wokingham (provided you have a 15% deposit). That would be living pretty well tbh! I love being close enough to visit London but each time I come home I a, glad I never moved there but that's just me and there are millions who voluntarily live there. Personally I never wanted to and am happy I've built a network of friends, colleagues and sports clubs in my area that I should be around to enjoy for the rest of my time. 

12 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

You miss my point. 1900 is the gov't subsidised price, if you actually have the money you can get far better places. Also 1900 in catford is not typical/realistic. And bits of it are much nicer than 20 years ago.

3 minutes ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

You miss my point. 1900 is the gov't subsidised price, if you actually have the money you can get far better places. Also 1900 in catford is not typical/realistic. And bits of it are much nicer than 20 years ago.

17 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68002628.html

1300, 3 bed in catford

1 minute ago, the_duke_of_hazzard said:

Fair point, I still don't think renting is cheap.