House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Owners of ex-local authority homes face horror of bills running into thousands

Lambeth council initially told leaseholders that repairs to the estate would cost £7m, and that the Whitehouse’s share would be £6,000. This soon more than doubled to £13,000

A dishonest person could artificially inflate the cost, and get the private tenants to then pay the whole bill. Then skim a little for oneself and the contractors.

Never buy a ex LA flat in a towerblock.

Whats hard to understand about that?

Youll pay 20k for the cladding, then 20k to remove it.

This isnt just tower blocks.

I wonder if there is some correlation between a slowing London market and discovering all this work that needs to be done to ex-council stock, it seems suspiciously convenient timing.

Some years ago, may have been on hpc. 

Someone saying that one reason council houses were sold off, was because the gov / councils could not afford the repair bill.

Which were most likely being gouged by the builders firm quoting for the work, owned by the councillors brother etc.  

11 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Thatcher played a blinder...for the establishment.

Time we made 20 years of a real labour style party

When pushing RTB the cost implications for local authorities was one of the reasons they pushed the policy. New Labour just kept quiet about the issue.

If you are living in these prime areas and not stinking rich then the only way you are going to live there is to be on housing benefit or in a council home or preferably both. I think there was a thread on the subject of living in London quite recently on HPC. Well over 90% of my huge family have now left London, like I said before I am unaware if any of them ever claimed a penny welfare, though some were in low paid hard grafting jobs, it's impossible to live there and be stuborn enough to work and want to pay your way in life.

10 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Someone saying that one reason council houses were sold off, was because the gov / councils could not afford the repair bill.

Local authority housing would traditionally return a little profit. But perhaps that was back in the day when the majority of tenants had to show they were of sufficient standing to deserve one e.g. having a job and good character. When council houses became scarce after the 1980s sell-off, then the feckless types came to represent the majority of tenants, and a lot of reputational damage was done.

This is not really news, people have known this for ages.  I knew people in 2006 who were complaining about Southwark council treating them like a cash cow - BTW Lewisham council was a lot better than others.

9 hours ago, Millaise said:

Local authority housing would traditionally return a little profit. But perhaps that was back in the day when the majority of tenants had to show they were of sufficient standing to deserve one e.g. having a job and good character. When council houses became scarce after the 1980s sell-off, then the feckless types came to represent the majority of tenants, and a lot of reputational damage was done.

Yes , it was back in the 80s  I  believe. Perhaps the US ambulance chasing culture that came in, made it worse. ie sue the council for anything you can, with a flat as a liabuility mill stone  

Service charges on flats in tower blocks are about £1,000 - £2,000 a year BEFORE any charges for maintenance are considered. The lifts have got to be serviced for starters. That is lot of money to budget for each year.

3 minutes ago, MattW said:

Service charges on flats in tower blocks are about £1,000 - £2,000 a year BEFORE any charges for maintenance are considered. The lifts have got to be serviced for starters. That is lot of money to budget for each year.

Then there's the bulletproof vests, anti-rape devices, sidearms and ammunition for the whole family. Never mind the f'ing parachutes for when some pr1ck sets the thing off like a Roman candle.